News:

If they treat education like a product, they can't very well bitch when you act like a consumer.

Main Menu

the value of information

Started by LHX, January 09, 2006, 06:46:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LHX

after having not read the newspaper consistently for about 3 years

it is proving to be a treasure chest full of shit

today
i read about how technology advances seem to be affecting so many - or all - industries that obtain their income from broadcasting information

the whole music download situation
the fact that newspaper editorials are being found online
the alternative media streams of blogs
wikipedia
etc
etc
etc

which is making me wonder if information has any value at all

my hunch is no

what MAY have value tho
is the presentation of the information
- that which separates something 'entertaining'
from something which serves only to deliver a message

with the increasing presence of these alternative and instantly available forms of communication
do any of the old-standard forms of selling information stand a chance?
neat hell

hooplala

I think the H on the tap which runs hot water is information which is valuable.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

LMNO

Cain

Quote from: Baron von HooplaI think the H on the tap which runs hot water is information which is valuable.

It is, unless "someone" likes swapping them around...

LHX

Quote from: eroticdefine "value".

uhh - in the money system

i guess it would mean that the information on a CD is equivalent to 20 dollars worth of food
neat hell

LHX

Quote from: Cain
Quote from: Baron von HooplaI think the H on the tap which runs hot water is information which is valuable.

It is, unless "someone" likes swapping them around...

or the person who live there happens to have a name that start with an H and monograms shit in his house

anyway - its nowhere near as valuable as the first-hand experience

also - it may call into question the practicality of winding up in a situation where you have to put an H on a faucet
neat hell

LMNO

Monetary value acts like a shell game anyway, so I think you still need to define "value".

Cain

[Jeremy Bentham]Value is a measure of utility[/Jeremy Betham]

LMNO

[LMNO]What the fuck does that mean?[/LMNO]

Cain

Utilitarians argue value (moral, admittedly) is related to the utility of the subject.  And thus Utilitarianism, the second bane of my existence, was born.  They still have Bentham's pickled body, you know.  200 years on.

LHX

Quote from: eroticMonetary value acts like a shell game anyway, so I think you still need to define "value".

interesting

could somebody call value 'something that will help you make it to the next meal'?
neat hell

LMNO

LMNO

Quote from: CainUtilitarians argue value (moral, admittedly) is related to the utility of the subject.  And thus Utilitarianism, the second bane of my existence, was born.  They still have Bentham's pickled body, you know.  200 years on.

Sounds suspiciously Subjective...

Cain

Hell yeah.  You may know John Stuart Mill as another of their big thinkers, he had a much better PR company for his ideas.

LHX

Quote from: eroticSuch as, say, theft?

of course

as long as you can flip it for some produce
neat hell