News:

PD.com: Trimming your hair in accordance with the anarchoprimitivist lifestyle

Main Menu

TRANSMISSIONS FROM ARIZONA

Started by LMNO, February 29, 2008, 07:55:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Due to a myriad of reasons, TGRR has not been posting here.

However, he's got a fire under his ass.

Check it:

http://dolphin.esosoft.net/erisbarandgrill.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=8592
http://dolphin.esosoft.net/erisbarandgrill.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=8593

He asked for it not to be x-posted, so you'll have to read it there, or at POEE.

East Coast Hustle

is he preaching from the top of the WAAAAHHH-mbulance?

:lulz:
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Chairman Risus

I still see no point in having a secret mod.

East Coast Hustle

the point was that Roger wouldn't have anyone to publicly berate every time he didn't like something about how the board was running. You see, Roger pretty much HATED that Lauren gave the site to me and not him (though he didn't help his cause by slandering her at every opportunity for 3 years straight) and when I sent out the word that we were rebuilding this site and trying to make it the best collection of asshats on the internets, he acted like a 3 year-old and insisted that he wouldn't come back here and contribute unless I made him an admin. I decided that the draw of being THE place to find TGRR's writings would be worth the occasional annoyance of his primadonna-like ways and agreed.

After a year and a half of dealing with his bullshit (I'm actually considering publicly posting our last email exchange at EB&G to protect myself from his continued slander; if I do it will be hilarious and links will be posted. He was basically frothing insane at the end), I decided I had changed my mind. Since I am a man of my word, I could not in good conscience revoke his admin-hood, so I resorted to one of the oldest tricks in the book. I abdicated and let someone else do my dirty work for me. Underhanded and Machiavellian, you say? Sure it was, but it allowed me to technically keep my word, which is important to me. Now that he's taken his voluntary leave of this site (his membership is still active and I believe he is still a mod, just not an admin), I'm gonna ask my long-time friend who was kind enough to take the reins for a bit if he'll turn the MGT account back over to me and there will be no more "secret mods" or whatever the fuck you wanna call it.

Y'all can think whatever you want, but it boils down to the fact that this is my website and I take the responsibility of providing an arena for this community very seriously and IMO the good of the entire community must take precedence over the demands of one irrational asshole.

If anybody really gives a shit about all of this and has further questions, I'd be happy to answer them. As far as I'm concerned, this place is thriving with or without Roger and if there were any doubts in my mind about how I handled this they have been allayed by the recent influx of seemingly intelligent noobs.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Triple Zero

for what it's worth, i don't think giving someone else the power to do something for you that would make you break your word, constitutes as "keeping to your word".

while technically it may, it doesn't grant you any sort of moral high ground (IMO), because if you give your word again, who knows what sort of tricks you'll go through to not-quite-break-it-but-make-it-happen-anyway?

i just wanted to point out that, yes, technically you kept your word, but what is that worth? you say it's important to you to keep your word (same goes for Roger, btw), why is it important to you? is it (for you) still satisfactory if you're only technically keeping it?

apart from that (i'm truly curious about these technicalities surrounding "keeping your word"), i'm not gonna take a stance one way or another, because i think i've just seen the tip of the iceberg, and even that part is a fucking trainwreck.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

The Littlest Ubermensch

[was going to post, but then 000 said exactly what I was going to]
[witticism/philosophical insight/nifty quote to prove my intelligence to the forum]

LISTEN TO MY SHOW THURSDAY 5-7 EST

THEN GO TO MY MYSPACE

Rev. St. Syn, KSC (Ret.)

ZOMFG, I just thought I'd crawl out from under my stone for a minute to see what's shakin' in PD-land... and here we are AGAIN. Brilliant. I love this place, so comfortable in it's never-changing state of... no I'm not gonna say it. ;)

Hi all, btw. :D
Synaptyclypse Generator Publishing Sect, POEE International Resource Center

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: triple zero on March 01, 2008, 04:42:04 PM
for what it's worth, i don't think giving someone else the power to do something for you that would make you break your word, constitutes as "keeping to your word".

while technically it may, it doesn't grant you any sort of moral high ground (IMO), because if you give your word again, who knows what sort of tricks you'll go through to not-quite-break-it-but-make-it-happen-anyway?

i just wanted to point out that, yes, technically you kept your word, but what is that worth? you say it's important to you to keep your word (same goes for Roger, btw), why is it important to you? is it (for you) still satisfactory if you're only technically keeping it?

apart from that (i'm truly curious about these technicalities surrounding "keeping your word"), i'm not gonna take a stance one way or another, because i think i've just seen the tip of the iceberg, and even that part is a fucking trainwreck.

I have to say I agree with 000, because politicianing your way around your given word doesn't actually make you any more trustworthy than if you'd broken it directly; possibly less so, in fact.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Adjective Noun

Is it allowed for lurkers to lol at drama from the sidelines? I still dont see any major differences between admins here, in what they do. Sure, some cosmetic changes, but in the end it comes down to who's pressing the keys to keep the site running and not bringing down the wrath of lawsuits.
Seems a shame to lose the .. distinctive writing of TGRR over that, imo.
Ofc I may be missing the issue entirely, as I wasnt here during the 'big board wars' or w/e the huge drama flare-up was before.

Also regarding ECH 'technically' keeping his word - it sounds as though he had decided the 'spirit' of his word was going to be broken, I guess at least that was a way around further shenanigans.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I wasn't here for all that either. Basically, I feel that if you have an ongoing personality/style conflict with another admin, and you're the site owner, you're justified in saying "OK, you know what? This isn't working out, I need you to step down as an admin". Doing it in a straighforward way probably would have resulted in a public blow-up, but also in less loss of trust than doing it in a circuitous way that preserves your honor on a technicality only.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Jasper

It doesn't particularly faze me that there's drama between ECH and Roger.  What's new? 

However I have got to say that I'm not particularly impressed by the way either of them have handled themselves. 

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Well,no. Roger storming off the forum in a  huff disappointed me. Finding out that ECH had, indeed, orchestrated the cutting of Roger's access also disappointed me.

Jasper

MY ROLE MODELS HAVE FAILED ME BAWWWWWWW!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dr. Felix Mackay on March 02, 2008, 02:37:41 AM
MY ROLE MODELS HAVE FAILED ME BAWWWWWWW!

<Roger> There is no crying in Discordia! </Roger>

:cry:

Jasper