News:

It is better to set off a nuclear bomb, than to sit and curse the dark.

Main Menu

Richter's Spag - Along Workshop

Started by Richter, February 27, 2009, 02:21:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richter

Quote from: Nigel on February 27, 2009, 04:19:40 PM
I heard that the PMC people had come out with bronze metal clay, I didn't know about the copper... that's cool!

Richter if you do get a shop space, let me know if you have any interest in glass. :D

Edit: apparently I am not at all awake, you said nothing about copper in your post. Maybe wishful thinking on my part?

Funny you should ask... 
I grew up doing copper work. :mrgreen:  I still do on the side side whenever dad needs a person who can work metal on short notice.
I've just been on the brass kick because it's readily available.  What did you have in mind? 

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Richter on February 27, 2009, 04:38:43 PM
Quote from: Ratatosk on February 27, 2009, 03:23:19 PM
So at the shire meeting this week, a couple of the blacksmiths were showing off metal clay. Have you played with any of it yet? They had silver and bronze.

Casting in REVERSE!  That looks like fun stuff. 
I wonder about the fusing process though.  Seems like it would be easy to get a brittle piece with too little heat (insufficient fusing of metalic particles as the binder leaves, or have the whole project "run" if it's too hot. 
HUGE advantage for small, detailed pieces.  I'd want to play around with it for strength / durability, whereas anything I torch, bend, or hammer I KNOW is solid.

Best way to fire metal clay is using a small kiln with a digital controller, so you get the temp spot-on.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Richter on February 27, 2009, 04:41:32 PM
Quote from: Nigel on February 27, 2009, 04:19:40 PM
I heard that the PMC people had come out with bronze metal clay, I didn't know about the copper... that's cool!

Richter if you do get a shop space, let me know if you have any interest in glass. :D

Edit: apparently I am not at all awake, you said nothing about copper in your post. Maybe wishful thinking on my part?

Funny you should ask... 
I grew up doing copper work. :mrgreen:  I still do on the side side whenever dad needs a person who can work metal on short notice.
I've just been on the brass kick because it's readily available.  What did you have in mind? 

Oh, I didn't really have anything in mind specifically... I just misread  his post to include copper metal clay, when it didn't. Evidently my brain interjected "copper" in for no reason at all!

But if you ever want to add glass to your repertoire, let me know, and I'll give you the hookup.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Richter

That would rock  :mrgreen:,  but sadly will take time.
I need a dedicated project space before I can justify taking up another medium
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

I WANT A POINTY STABBER! swooote

Pariah

Play safe! Ski only in a clockwise direction! Let's all have fun together!

Richter

...I wanted to be remembered for my art, not my tools of death... :horrormirth:

Anyways, looks like I may be able to pick up some instruction / workspace for SRS metalwork this summer. 
(Instruction as in more than "That will be hot, that will burn yor eyes out, that will electrocute you. Go for an even bead.  Don't die, have fun.")  I'll make it known and take orders if I put any spikes together. 

The place seems very art / recycling oriented.  I guess we'll see if they subscribe to the James Howlett concept of "art".

My current idea of metalic perversity requires a 1" x 3" x 18"  piece of stock... 

Jenne

:mittens: Richter!  Wow!  The jewelry is faptastic, and the shiny metal handled rods of death look mighty awesome too!

Jasper

Richter, let me know if you ever decide to make grappling hooks.

Felix,
would make his own, but doesn't have the ken o' welding.

Richter

I'll let you know, but for $20-30 you can order a clever collapsible on from www.coutycomm.com

(They sell their own stuff and surplus from small gov't contracts for tools, pouches, and bags.  You will LIKE this site otherwise, I imagine.)

Ironic you mention hooks, I just finished shaping a Maori fishook out of stainless yesterday. 
Also finished my Imperial Crew / Officer hat, thanks to Suu's guidance. 

I'll post pics later.

Suu

If my sewing machine falls apart today, there will be death.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Richter

Suu's gores! Suu's gores!

They fly across the table, cotton linen or satin
The machine is trembling now that the next commission's in
It means renewed frustration, so let the games begin
There may be blood
It may be mine
(But the hat got done on time.)

Suu's gores, Suu's gores
Suu's gores, Suu's gores

We've all heard of the project she started yesterday
But if the machine craps out they'll be only hell to pay
So let's hope the Singer holds up, or I will go away
If I get back
And she's pissed off
You'll just see Richter running off.

Suu

Quote from: Richter on March 05, 2009, 04:58:53 PM

There may be blood
It may be mine

Suu's gores, Suu's gores
Suu's gores, Suu's gores

If I get back
And she's pissed

Okay, I laughed. FOR NOW.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Richter

It just flew into my head.  I had to.

Mybad.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Richter on March 05, 2009, 04:58:53 PM

There may be blood
It may be mine

Suu's gores, Suu's gores
Suu's gores, Suu's gores

If I get back
And she's pissed off

:lulz: