News:

No, we're not mercenaries. We just carry weapons and kill things for the joy of the experience.

Main Menu

Rebar wire: Not just for tying shit together anymore

Started by Remington, May 21, 2009, 04:11:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Remington

Quote from: Jenne on March 09, 2010, 07:35:33 PM
Wow.  Great work, EoC.  Remmy, you were thinking of stop-motion film of the rebarmen, this would be an awesome screenplay.
Awesome, now I have two ideas for stop-motion screenplays!
Is it plugged in?

Bella

I'm so impressed with your art, Remington. These are super cool. You make me want to get started on some projects of my own.
just like in a dream
you'll open your mouth to scream
and you won't make a sound

you can't believe your eyes
you can't believe your ears
you can't believe your friends
you can't believe you're here

Remington

Next up:

I quickly found out that these ones are a lot harder to do than the standard human figures. Much more complexity.
Is it plugged in?

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Storebrand

Remington

Quote from: StoreBrand on March 20, 2010, 10:45:45 PM
Your proportions are improving nicely.
Thanks.

Believe it or not, this last one was modeled on the proportions of the very first. For some reason, after the first one the torsos kept getting longer (until I got a really long one like Roger's).
Is it plugged in?

Remington

Right, next up.

This was the piece that Jenne commissioned for Father's Day. Two pieces, one with a singer/guitarist, and one with a solo rock musician. I tried a new hairstyle and made a mic/stand out of wire and guitars out of plywood:

Gallery

Eater of Clowns is up next: his is ready to ship any day now. It's based on the amazing short story he wrote.
Is it plugged in?

Triple Zero

Looks great! Also the hairstyle thing works really well!
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Jenne

My lil bros are gonna love these!  They are awesomeness supremo, Remmie.  THANK YOU!!

Remington

Moar, from Eater of Clown's private commission. He wanted a piece that went with his awesome story:

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on March 09, 2010, 07:02:25 PM
Rebar Man

In the woods of Maine there stands an old farmhouse.  It's near a lake and has long been abandoned.

The windows are shattered.

The shingles are shredded.

The paint and wallpaper are peeling from the walls.

Piles of old garbage and broken furnishings litter the interior.  And on the second floor, up a creaky old set of stairs, there once sat a man made of wire on a plain wooden table gouged and worn from the years.

The wire man knew a family once.  He knew the people who placed him on that table and the man who created him.  He knew the fresh strong feeling of the new rebar wire that made him.

Then one day there was a fire.  His family was away and the farmhouse still stood, but they never returned.

The Rebar Man waited for a long time.  A year went by and nobody came.  People began to explore the old farmhouse.  They were kids who were curious and young adults who were bored.  To many of them the Rebar Man went unnoticed.  Some few picked him up, some fewer spoke slow words he did not know, and all set him back on his table when they left.  These were the greatest moments of his existence.

While he waited, and he always waited, he looked down the hallway to the window outside.  He would see snow and rain, he would see the leaves changing colors and the cars passing by.  But his favorite times were when he saw sunlight.

Time moves slowly for the man made of wire.  One day, five years after the fire, a rock was thrown through the window.  It took him two months to be surprised and to know the glass lay broken.  That was the day he decided to reach the sunlight.

He was made to stand, it would seem, but not to walk.  For one month did he step forward, for one second did he fall, and for some time longer did he realize it.  But the window was closer.

Two years it took the Rebar Man to fall from the table and two months to right himself from his back.  But the window was closer.

Again and again he saw the snow and rain, the leaves changing colors and cars passing by.  Again and again he felt when the air went moist, when something began happening to his wire.  He slowly rusted.  But the window was closer.

Patches of orange-brown flakes were about him after three years.  He was halfway to the window.  A small group of people came to the house and searched its rotting shell.  They stomped on decrepit floor boards and gazed upon fire wrecked fixtures.  They took to the stairs and stood before the window.  They stepped on the Rebar Man's right arm and leg, dragging him a little before realizing it.  They left.  His right side was crushed and moved poorly.  And the window was further away.

Five years passed.  He felt the tremors of visitors cautiously looking about before leaving the old house.  Few came near him, none disturbed him.  He was covered in rust.  But the window was closer.

The rust grew thick.  His movements became slower.  From his hand first touching the light cast from the window til his body rested entirely within it four months passed.  He rolled onto his back with some time and gazed up.  The window was there.  But it rained on him.

The next day he felt little.  He was rusted and bent oddly.  He cracked and broke in places.  But the sun shone that day and he basked in its light.

Then the man made of wire knew no more.

Is it plugged in?

Captain Utopia

Triple Zero

That might actually take forever, with some metals the rust forms a layer on outside, preventing oxygen from reacting with the inner unoxydized metal.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Suu

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Remington

Remington went to an art show! He made the moneys!

All in all I sold off 4 pieces, and got one commission. My first angel sculpture, the mage one, and the abstract "Chaos" figure all sold for $35 apiece. The woman who bought the abstract one was apparently really into mathematical Chaos theory and said that the sculpture happened to be an excellent demonstration/example of concepts she had wrote on in dissertation. I slipped her a card with PD's URL on it  :evil:

Is it plugged in?

Telarus

Quote from: Remington on August 23, 2010, 05:33:27 AM
Remington went to an art show! He made the moneys!

All in all I sold off 4 pieces, and got one commission. My first angel sculpture, the mage one, and the abstract "Chaos" figure all sold for $35 apiece. The woman who bought the abstract one was apparently really into mathematical Chaos theory and said that the sculpture happened to be an excellent demonstration/example of concepts she had wrote on in dissertation. I slipped her a card with PD's URL on it  :evil:

:mittens:
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!