If you can't abuse it, it's not power.

Main Menu

UNLIMITED Arizona Hilarity thread

Started by Requia ☣, April 22, 2010, 04:44:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Johnny

Quote from: Junkenstein on October 14, 2014, 03:38:59 PM
http://www.koco.com/national/obama-headstone-turns-heads-for-halloween/29115148

QuoteKarl Klomp is known for his extravagant seasonal decor, and this time the Phoenix man let his political views inspire his work.

He's got a headstone for President Barack Obama.

QuoteKlomp's neighbors said they're used to his decorations.

Quote"Back in November of 2012 there, when they were doing the reelection, he was supposed to not get reelected. I'm a Republican, I don't make no hiding of that,"

"Klomp" is now my new shorthand for teabillies.

#1 civilian candidate  for October's watchlist
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Doktor Howl

Arizona HB2625 is back.

In short, an employer can fire a woman for taking slut pills.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 23, 2014, 11:08:34 PM
Arizona HB2625 is back.

AH BELEEVE IN FREEDOM AND PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY AND SMALL GUBMINT

'CEPT WHEN IT COMES TO THEM HOORS.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Your Mom on October 24, 2014, 02:56:20 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 23, 2014, 11:08:34 PM
Arizona HB2625 is back.

AH BELEEVE IN FREEDOM AND PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY AND SMALL GUBMINT

'CEPT WHEN IT COMES TO THEM HOORS.

Yeah, it's from 2012, but it seems to be lurching off the slab and staggering around in committee.

Bill's author was a woman.

Sadly enough, that's normal here.  It's the only way a woman can get elected in most of the state.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Freeky

I like how the article says he is "allegedly Christian."   :lol:

Cain

Not in Arizona, but a product nonetheless of that fine state:

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2015/03/18/napolitano-says-we-dont-have-to-listen-to-this-crap-as-students-protest-potential-uc-tuition-hikes/

QuoteUniversity of California President Janet Napolitano remarked to a fellow regent that they "didn't have to listen to this crap" as underwear-clad protesters denounced potential tuition hikes during a meeting Wednesday in San Francisco.

UPDATE: Napolitano Apologizes For Calling Disruptive UC Students Protest 'Crap'

Napolitano was sitting next UC regent Chairman Bruce Varner as a group of about two dozen protesters shouted loudly, denouncing potential tuition hikes when she made the remark, which she may not have known was being recorded.

As the protests began, the cameras stayed on the regents. There was some confusion over what to do. That's when Napolitano leans over to Varner and said, "Let's just break. Let's go, let's go. We don't have to listen to this crap." Her hot mic caught the comment.

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on March 31, 2015, 03:32:50 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 27, 2015, 01:28:19 AM
AND YA DON'T STOP

http://www.psmag.com/nature-and-technology/predictive-policing-in-arizona

Uhhh wasn't there a  movie about this?

I don't recall that it ended well.

Arizona is a little special in that regard.  Just slow-to-learn, yanno?
Molon Lube

Cain

Hey now, that movie had Tom Cruise and robots and explosions and stuff.  Isn't that everyone's American dream?

Demolition Squid

Eeeeeeh.

My dad has done some work in this area, and he swears it really does help get the most out of your resources. Nothing is perfect, of course, and you have to be careful about implementation, but mostly it is about trying to map out where current crime hotspots are and where they are likely to develop when you put the squeeze on organized crime in those areas - where in the city people are likely to have support or be able to get it when their established power bases are kicked over.

'Predictive Policing' is a very dumb name for 'crime stat analysis' and the minority report comparison is pretty heavily flawed. You don't stop policing everywhere else and you don't arrest people before they've done anything; you just allocate your resources based on data rather than a hunch or spread everything evenly (resulting in too few police where they are needed and too many where they aren't).
Vast and Roaring Nipplebeast from the Dawn of Soho

Cain

I can see, in the American context, this leading to "broken windows" style policing of heavily ethnic areas.  Because that's just how Arizona rolls.

Demolition Squid

Well.... yeah.

It can also lead to similar abuses here. Basically, if the data you put in is flawed (because, say, the police disproportionately target minority groups and so those groups contribute more to the stats than others) then you'll get a flawed result.

But you need this kind of stuff if you're not going to work entirely off of hunches and guesses, which are even more prone to bias.
Vast and Roaring Nipplebeast from the Dawn of Soho

Reginald Ret

I dunno, I prefer both my police and politicians to be ineffective.
They do less damage that way.

An important thing to watch out for with this tech is function creep.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"