PD.com: The combined word for "horror" and "mirth"

Main Menu

Two layers of thought

Started by tipareth, October 26, 2012, 09:03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on October 29, 2012, 09:01:58 PM
That was my thought too.

Tipareth- youre not really going to have the conversation moved forward if youre complaining about the people posting not meeting your expectations. Youre actively discouraging us from doing so with your phrasing and attitude.

That's because Tipareth isn't here to "have a conversation".

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Nephew Twiddleton

Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on October 29, 2012, 09:06:54 PM
Trolling?

Obviously.  And from the IMMEDIATE nature of it, probably in "revenge" (maybe one of Uncle BadTouch's alts or sycophants?  Hard to say before I get back to the laptop).

Either that, or he's just an aspie who thinks he's special.  One or the other.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

tipareth

Well coming off like an asshole was certainly not my intent. Sincerest apologies all around if offended. I am actually pleased we all agree on the subject but I am just trying to get a little further than just describing the situation in numerous ways.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: tipareth on October 29, 2012, 09:10:57 PM
Well coming off like an asshole was certainly not my intent.

Obviously.   :|

But it appears that we do not meet your exacting standards for conversation.  Pity.

tyrannosaurus vex

It's hard to lead a conversation forward when you're just standing in front of it.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

tipareth

Reverend Roadkill, your first word on this subject was "Balls" and now you're trying to accuse me of assholery? If you're so hurt feel free to stop participating; I like everyone's participation I'm just trying to goad it in the original direction. I would give this right to anyone whose post I was commenting on.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: V3X on October 29, 2012, 09:17:58 PM
It's hard to lead a conversation forward when you're just standing in front of it.

See, he STARTED the conversation.  It's up to US to take it to new and greater heights.

Unfortunately, I don't speak Hipster (or, rather, I refuse to), so the OP just said:

Quoteblah blah blah.

I could try translating it into a less pretentious dialect, but why bother?  That wouldn't be moving things forward, either.

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Reverend Roadkill on October 29, 2012, 09:20:35 PM
Quote from: V3X on October 29, 2012, 09:17:58 PM

See, he STARTED the conversation.  It's up to US to take it to new and greater heights.

Unfortunately, I don't speak Hipster (or, rather, I refuse to), so the OP just said:

Quoteblah blah blah.

I could try translating it into a less pretentious dialect, but why bother?  That wouldn't be moving things forward, either.

This makes sense. Perhaps if we simply stopped posting altogether, and asked OP to explain things, we could make some progress.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: tipareth on October 29, 2012, 09:19:56 PM
Reverend Roadkill, your first word on this subject was "Balls" and now you're trying to accuse me of assholery?

Yes.  Any apparent double standard is just a function of my Holiness™.

QuoteIf you're so hurt feel free to stop participating

Hurt?  And no, I wouldn't miss this for the world.

QuoteI'm just trying to goad it in the original direction.

Herding cats, ITT.

The Good Reverend Roger

Translation

Quote from: tipareth on October 26, 2012, 09:03:29 PM
I've noticed in recent years a disparity between certain types of thinking.

People think in two different ways. False, people think in myriad ways.

There's ideas which are basically further expounding on a base of agreed-upon assumptions and then there's things that analyze those assumptions.

Some people just parrot what they're told, and some people are prone to examine things a little deeper 

It seems the world is chock full of the former and, as a fellow who is all about the latter,

I am smarter than the idiots that surround me.

it seems that when I try to get someone to see that our differences are based simply on different fundamental ideas they treat me like I suddenly started spouting gibberish.

I cannot communicate.

Is even the intellectual world being infested with ignorance, intolerance and a general lack of self realization?

I wish everyone was smart like me.

I'll throw a nice, juicy, inflammatory example that is near and dear to me. I often differ with a lot of people who think that men are more sexually motivated than women (I feel this is a widely accepted idea in our society as well). I try to point out that the real scientific data (Reich, The Function of the Orgasm, The Invasion of Compulsory Sex Morality) suggests that women are actually just as sexually motivated and all the other behaviors around the idea that they are not is really a social convention. It is usually at this point that someone starts treating me as though I just exited a spaceship and am pointing what is obviously a death ray at them. Why is this? I believe that people basically still treat their ideas like religion. They have merely supplanted something they PERCEIVE as more intellectual or scientific and they are just as irrational about it as a religious fanatic. Sometimes someone will appear to be quite intelligent at first and then behave this way. Please discuss and expound

Nobody believes me about my Orgone Accumulator.

There.  Now we can move forward.

(Edited for a shameful grammatical error.)

tipareth

I like the trademark on Holiness. Is it sold as a unit or by the ounce? Now please, your holiness, stop derailing this discussion just because I phrased one response a little curtly. You've made way too many assumptions about me based on it and are really just being the instigator that you so readily see in me. Why do you suppose people get so emotionally attached to assumptions?

tyrannosaurus vex

Please consult backlog of material at PD that deals with this question before pretending it is a new discussion. You could be excused, however, because this sort of thing has only been the subject of non-stop discussion for the past 8 years or so.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: tipareth on October 29, 2012, 09:34:50 PM
I like the trademark on Holiness.

Well, we have to trademark it, or the fucking Calvinists run off with it.

Is it sold as a unit or by the ounce?

By the gross.

Now please, your holiness, stop derailing this discussion just because I phrased one response a little curtly.

Two responses...Which comprised all of your reponses at that time.

You've made way too many assumptions about me based on it and are really just being the instigator that you so readily see in me. Why do you suppose people get so emotionally attached to assumptions?

Because when you hear hoofbeats, it could be:

1.  Horses.
2.  Zebras.
3.  Unicorns with pink monkeys hanging off of their balls.

Which is the most likely?

Thing is, people DO operate on first impressions.  Welcome to all of human history.  And when you walk in handing out orders and telling people how they've failed to meet your standards, the first impression given is "asshole".  If you want a conversation in which first impressions don't count and/or orders are accepted calmly, either get yourself an Elizabot or marry someone from Kentucky.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: V3X on October 29, 2012, 09:38:45 PM
Please consult backlog of material at PD that deals with this question before pretending it is a new discussion. You could be excused, however, because this sort of thing has only been the subject of non-stop discussion for the past 8 years or so.

It's different when he does it.  He's a unique flower.