News:

Endorsement from MysticWicks: "The most fatuous, manipulative, and venomous people to be found here are all of the discordian genre."

Main Menu

FUCK ROBERT ANTON WILSON

Started by Horab Fibslager, November 27, 2003, 07:15:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: SssBella, Oracle of Doom
Quote from: ZombieZombieZombie
Quote from: that doom ladyI have a friend who thinks in patterns of color, light. and shape....she often has translation problems. She once described someone as "blue and kind curly", which didn't help me at all. Wonder what it would be like if you two ever got together? Seriously.

You should read Oliver Sacks sometime. He's a neurologist who wrote a couple books covering the case histories of a couple people with similar issues. Its really weird how transitive reality is.

It basically breaks down like this. Reality exists, and we percieve it, but we each percieve it from our own unique perspective and things arent always uniform between us... in the extreme cases, it ends up like your friend.

As for RAW. I like his books, but I'm not going to do a line of his dead skin. The thing thats awesome about discordianism is that its open, completely, so we all have the ability to say fuck all the bullshit... but remember, that if you arent careful you might just replace the old bullshit with the new bullshit.
Oliver Sacks,  huh?
Thank you....that sounds really interesting.
I'm going to have to check him out.

This is making me think......the friend I was talking about here has been diagnosed with MPD (multiple personality disorder).
I wonder if each individual alter perceives a different version of reality or if it is consistent throughout the entire personality system?
I'm gonna ask her.

MPD is pretty interesting.
I've talked to a few schizophrenics, its fun, but they have a way of being too insane for me to handle.

Bella

QuoteMPD is pretty interesting.
I've talked to a few schizophrenics, its fun, but they have a way of being too insane for me to handle.
People with MPD are way different from schizophrenics. It's not like dealing with one insane person, but rather like dealing with several sane people in one body.
just like in a dream
you'll open your mouth to scream
and you won't make a sound

you can't believe your eyes
you can't believe your ears
you can't believe your friends
you can't believe you're here

cockroachfactor

CONTRIBUTION, JERK.

[pwned]

People with MPD are way different from schizophrenics. It's not like dealing with one insane person, but rather like dealing with several sane people in one body.

Right right.
All the (truly) crazy people I know are schizophrenics.
I wonder if the different facets of people with MPD have access to the same memory cache of the brain, or if its something thats segmented according to personality...

Hmm.

Quote from: cockroachfactorsteal books.

Isnt that what google is for?

Ok, nevermind, I cant find any e-books of sacks... nope, not a single one. But I did find his website!

http://www.oliversacks.com/aboutpages/writingfrm.htm

Bella

Right right.
I wonder if the different facets of people with MPD have access to the same memory cache of the brain, or if its something thats segmented according to personality...

Hmm.

I've done a lot of research and would have to say that each individual system of personalities is arranged a bit differently. It's really quite complex. In general, however....individual alters and/or clusters of alters have segmented memories banks.  Specific types of personalities are formed to deal with specific types of experiences, so it makes sense that they would be highly specialized and not need access to the entire memory cache.

Also....MPD is normally the result product of severe trauma, and is a way of shielding the self from further pain. Therefore, it would be counterproductive to have every self in the system remember that trauma.
just like in a dream

Right right.

Hmm.

I've done a lot of research and would have to say that each individual system of personalities is arranged a bit differently. It's really quite complex. In general, however....individual alters and/or clusters of alters have segmented memories banks.  Specific types of personalities are formed to deal with specific types of experiences, so it makes sense that they would be highly specialized and not need access to the entire memory cache.

Also....MPD is normally the result product of severe trauma, and is a way of shielding the self from further pain. Therefore, it would be counterproductive to have every self in the system remember that trauma.

Right right, I remember now. So you might say that it usually manifests as an extreme form (or as a result of) post-traumatic stress? The mind, not wanting to deal with trauma, or guilt, or whatever... retreats into the subconcious and reinvents itself in order to cope with it.

Bella, I get the impression that you either work in this field or have studied to do so. Would I be correct?

Bella

Right right, I remember now. So you might say that it usually manifests as an extreme form (or as a result of) post-traumatic stress? The mind, not wanting to deal with trauma, or guilt, or whatever... retreats into the subconcious and reinvents itself in order to cope with it.

Bella, I get the impression that you either work in this field or have studied to do so. Would I be correct?

Exactly.

And yes, you would be correct.
I'm not a therapist, but before taking up reading tarot for a living I worked in the counseling field and then as a victim advocate in the court system. In addition, I'm on the advisory board of an organization geared towards providing support to adult survivors of childhood trauma and wrote a booklet designed to help them deal with the legal system.

Plus, I have the added advantage....if one could call it an advantage....of having been diagnosed with a dissociative disorder of my own. My diagnosis was DDNOS, which means Dissociative Disorder Not Otherwise Specified (bullshit for we don't know what's wrong, but something is)
I think of myself as the opposite of someone with MPD, because I dissociated myself from certain events and memories, rather than creating new "people" to cope with them.....basically I had a form of selective amnesia.
just like in a dream

Horab Fibslager

Exactly.

And yes, you would be correct.
I'm not a therapist, but before taking up reading tarot for a living I worked in the counseling field and then as a victim advocate in the court system. In addition, I'm on the advisory board of an organization geared towards providing support to adult survivors of childhood trauma and wrote a booklet designed to help them deal with the legal system.

Plus, I have the added advantage....if one could call it an advantage....of having been diagnosed with a dissociative disorder of my own. My diagnosis was DDNOS, which means Dissociative Disorder Not Otherwise Specified (bullshit for we don't know what's wrong, but something is)
I think of myself as the opposite of someone with MPD, because I dissociated myself from certain events and memories, rather than creating new "people" to cope with them.....basically I had a form of selective amnesia.

i knwo what my problem is, iate too much anid and now the colours won't stay still. damned colours!
Hell is other people.

Malaul

Quote from: horabi knwo what my problem is, iate too much anid and now the colours won't stay still. damned colours!

I like it when the colours dance with me
Coito ergo sum
O! Plus! Perge! Aio! Hui! Hem!
"You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy,the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named Bush, Dick, and Colon.  --Comedian Chris Rock

MaxwellsDemon

Horab, mr Dobbs has finally sent the check out and he wanted me to tell you that the rant was perfect.....

"The need for mystry is greater than the need for an answer"
Ken Kesey

AbsoluteAtaxia

Please do not discriminate against robots.
Be as vivid as your hallucinations... or don't.

chaosgraves:agentoferis

Quote from: horabquote that motherfuckers!.

am planning on saying this the next time I'm interviewed...
Constitution?!?!? Isn't that a D&D stat.

Quote from: horabquote that motherfuckers!.

am planning on saying this the next time I'm interviewed...

Quote from: slothrop23what is truth.
is it something you believe, or something everyone believes.
try asking a suicide cult.
i dont believe in anything
everything you know is wrong, words and numbers were constructed by humans, so therfore only relevant to humans and not the universe.
something to do with toes i think, but i dont believe that either.
and yet with those artificialy made maps we built these computers and you like to use them to say this human achievement was only achieved by what our society created... great way to think for yourself I guess. tell me how every thing works out when the lights unexpectedly go out for an extended period of time i plan on useing some mathematical formulas so I don't generate to much more energy then i need.