News:

It's a bad decade to be bipedal, soft and unarmed.

Main Menu

Discordian Evangelism

Started by Cramulus, December 09, 2009, 02:53:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

I hate the word "Evangelism". It carries the connotation of every preachy, condescending, holier than thou, fundamental, dogmatic zealot.

THAT BEING SAID

There are probably less than a thousand of us in the world. And by "us" I mean people who identify, at least in part, with Eris. A lot of you would never call yourselves a Discordian outright, but let's be straight, all of us are Discordians.

But yeah, there aren't that many of "us"

but I think that's largely a product of exposure

can you imagine what it'd be like if there were like ten thousand of us?

and they were all out pranking and jaking together
            spreading the HORRIBLE TRUTH     ?

oh, the things we could do! The FUN we could have!

The INFORMATION AGE is in full swing. If we could Organize ourselves a little, (gasp!) I don't think it would be hard to clue people in that they've been Discordians all along. There's scads of people out there who are hip to Frequency-23, they just don't know it yet. Our zen-lunatic irreligion actually has quite a bit to offer to the confused post-moderns of the early 21st century.

So let's talk about RECRUITMENT, whatever it means to you. How to spread the Good Word without becoming the preachy fucks we hate so much in other religions.

Would the world be better if there were more Discordians? Not fucking likely! But it sure would be more "Discordian".

I am starting a cabal right now, a group of people who play a game where we expand the Discordian Society.

hooplala

I like this. 

I used to get together with a bunch of discordians, but we could never get together on exactly what we should be doing, apart from something obvious, like PosterGASM... this would be an interesting project.

Cram, if I know you, and I think I do, you probably already have scads of ideas on how to get the ball rolling... Care to indulge me?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Cramulus

Hell yeah:

1) foster a participatory culture. People get a lot more invested in an idea if they did something for it which involved getting out of their computer chair. Stuff like POSTERGASM and jake day, where lonely crazed individuals can participate in larger pranks. In short: constantly start new, fun "DISCORDIAN ACTIVITIES". If participation documents itself (such as uploading media to the internet), even better.

2) create new traditions and document participation in them. Moosemas, the Erister Egg Hunt, and the Day of Discord are great examples of new Discordian traditions. I think we should pimp these out as if they're real fucking holidays, giving us the illusion of having ongoing traditions. This gives Discordians some vaguely common experiences, which is a building point for any culture.

3) create and distribute tracts, pamphlets, and posters which summarize different aspects of Discordia in an attractive, humorous, thought provoking way. Intermittens, the Black Iron Prison, and this thread are good starts, but we need moar!

3a) create tracts which are aimed at certain slices of the population who might be hip to our ideas. Discordia for atheists. Discordia for christians. Discordia for pot smokers ("pass this card on to someone you smoke with"). These tracts should appear to come from within the said subculture, but point towards ours.

Cramulus

also--

4) do something which causes Discordia to be mentioned on a mainstream media outlet. We could actually try to do something which makes the news, or we could try the disinformation / fake news angle and bruteforce our way in. The illusion (or reality) of there being an actual Discordian Society is critical to this.

I was watching the bonus material on the DVD for "The Number 23", and we do get a mention. But they call us "twenty-thirdians". This is the last time I've seen Eris pop up in the mainstream other than a very subtle shout out.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Cramulus on December 09, 2009, 03:27:44 PM
also--

4) do something which causes Discordia to be mentioned on a mainstream media outlet. We could actually try to do something which makes the news, or we could try the disinformation / fake news angle and bruteforce our way in. The illusion (or reality) of there being an actual Discordian Society is critical to this.

I was watching the bonus material on the DVD for "The Number 23", and we do get a mention. But they call us "twenty-thirdians". This is the last time I've seen Eris pop up in the mainstream other than a very subtle shout out.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/181520/htc_droid_eris_a_solid_alternative_to_the_motorola_droid.html

HTC is just asking for it....
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Jenne

"23rd-ians"?  That's just...uh...lame, for lack of a better word.  And lazy.  :lulz:

The Good Reverend Roger

CONVERT BY THE BOOK OR THE SWORD!  RAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRG!
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Every man, woman and child is already a Discordian, so really its not a conversion... its a Revelation.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Cramulus

yes. so what's the best way to do it? you guys have any thoughts on this?

LMNO

Without it slipping into dogma and marketing?  I dunno.

Cramulus

Do you think the above ideas are dogmatic?

and what do you mean "slipping into marketing"? Everything we produce for others to read is a form of marketing.

Cainad (dec.)

This is the part where people start threatening to Flounce From Discordianism 4-EVAR if it becomes anything larger and more dynamic than a tiny goofball brigade with big ideas and even bigger excuses not to realize those ideas, n'est-pas?

In any case, I'm a bored young adult with delusions of grandeur, so I'm behind nearly any plan to accomplish Big Things (as long as those things are funny). My vote is to focus on the War on Christmas; that will be our first battle and winning it (victory conditions are, in this case, popular and media attention) will generate both interest and energy which we can then direct towards other goals.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Doctor Rat Bastard on December 09, 2009, 04:56:32 PM
Every man, woman and child is already a Discordian,

Balls.  There's a subtle difference between "serving discordianism" and "being a discordian".
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

I'd like to see where this goes, so I'll keep my criticisms to myself.

Also, Cainad: please don't speak for me, 'k?

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: LMNO on December 09, 2009, 05:10:10 PM
Also, Cainad: please don't speak for me, 'k?

What? My post had nothing to do with your comment, or at least I didn't intend for it to. It was based on what I've witnessed in past discussions of this type.