News:

He was a pretty good teacher, but he's also batshit insane and smells like ferret pee.

Main Menu

The Science Fiction Rant

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, January 31, 2011, 04:02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Not quite.  My library is at 45 gig.

On a thematic breakdown though, I have

1.44 gig on criminology and security
710 MB on economics and finance
1.74 gig on the history and theory of fascism (including original documentation)
4 gig on history
7.26 gig on IR and Foreign Policy
About two gig on languages (including audio files)
2.24 gig of literature and fiction, though I need to go through and sort that more thoroughly, removing duplicates and files that don't interest me.
1.98 gig on philosophy, though the caveat for fiction also applies here.
5.37 gig on politics, but the above caveat applies again.
3.5 gig on psychology
3.5 gig of religious and atheist texts
2.5 gig of science books
About a gig of sociology and anthropological texts
1.22 gig of strategy texts
2.5 gig on terrorism (though many texts dealing with the "war on terror" fall under the IR and foreign policy folder)
nearly a gig on writing styles and techniques, citation methods, how to carry out accurate research etc

LMNO

How much of that do you think you can read within your lifetime?

Cain

Well, to be perfectly honest, most of it is for citation purposes only.  Searching for information on a particular topic is much easier when you have a search bar, as opposed to having to go to the index, then find the relevant pages, then read it.

LMNO

Nice! 

But why wouldn't you just use Wikipedia?
    \
:mullet:

Faust

Quote from: Cain on February 03, 2011, 01:54:33 PM
Not quite.  My library is at 45 gig.

On a thematic breakdown though, I have

1.44 gig on criminology and security
710 MB on economics and finance
1.74 gig on the history and theory of fascism (including original documentation)
4 gig on history
7.26 gig on IR and Foreign Policy
About two gig on languages (including audio files)
2.24 gig of literature and fiction, though I need to go through and sort that more thoroughly, removing duplicates and files that don't interest me.
1.98 gig on philosophy, though the caveat for fiction also applies here.
5.37 gig on politics, but the above caveat applies again.
3.5 gig on psychology
3.5 gig of religious and atheist texts
2.5 gig of science books
About a gig of sociology and anthropological texts
1.22 gig of strategy texts
2.5 gig on terrorism (though many texts dealing with the "war on terror" fall under the IR and foreign policy folder)
nearly a gig on writing styles and techniques, citation methods, how to carry out accurate research etc

Any chance I could get the fiction, psychology and science books off you?
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cain

Once I sort through them to remove duplicates and the like, sure.  I'll find a decent third party site and get back to you privately once the files are in place.

BadBeast

The last "Sci-fi" proper that impressed me was Neal Asher's "Skinner". Great book, and there's sequels too, so I'll have to purvey meself a bit more of that.
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: BadBeast on February 05, 2011, 06:12:24 PM
The last "Sci-fi" proper that impressed me was Neal Asher's "Skinner". Great book, and there's sequels too, so I'll have to purvey meself a bit more of that.

Movie-wise, it was District 9 for me.  Great storyline, they actually used South African no-names for many of  the roles, and it had a battle with GODDAMN MARINE SPACE ARMOR!

It was the whole package.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cuddlefish

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 05, 2011, 06:14:29 PM

Movie-wise, it was District 9 for me.  Great storyline, they actually used South African no-names for many of  the roles, and it had a battle with GODDAMN MARINE SPACE ARMOR!

Really? District 9 pissed me off. I expected so much more from that movie. Their writers must have got into a big fight or something, because they went the "Let's just have a little baby alien for everyone to awww at, and fuck the rest of this shit" route.
A fisher of men, or a manner of fish?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cuddlefish on February 05, 2011, 06:52:07 PM

Really? District 9 pissed me off. I expected so much more from that movie. Their writers must have got into a big fight or something, because they went the "Let's just have a little baby alien for everyone to awww at, and fuck the rest of this shit" route.

God gives you that hilarious battle scene, and you want MORE?

Ungrateful fucking wretch.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Phox

Plotwise, I am unsure of how I feel about District 9. It was very interesting for the atrocities that humans seemed to be so prone to, and then that ambiguous downer ending.... but at points it was confusing and I thought it kinda dragged in the middle a bit.

But that fucking battle scene was epic as fuck.  :fap:

BadBeast

I'll have to give that a watch then. Epic battles, Space Armoured Marines, sounds good to me.
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: BadBeast on February 05, 2011, 07:10:19 PM
I'll have to give that a watch then. Epic battles, Space Armoured Marines, sounds good to me.

Technically, it was just one guy in a battlesuit, but still EPIC.

Also, you're going to LOVE the alien weapons.  Don't anyone tell him.

BadBeast

No spoilers then, *Fingers in ears*  "La, la, la, lala,ala"

President Television

I loved district 9, but I also found it incredibly narmy. That only added to my enjoyment, of course.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.