News:

Testimonial - Well it seems that most of you "discordians" are little more than dupes of the Cathedral/NWO memetic apparatus after all -- "freethinkers" in the sense that you are willing to think slightly outside the designated boxes of correct thought, but not free in the sense that you reject the existence of the boxes and seek their destruction.

Main Menu

Ingress

Started by Cramulus, July 18, 2013, 04:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

You mean a game that is entirely based upon the physical location of the user's phone at any given moment could be made by someone OTHER than the company best known form mapping every roadway in the country?

I'm not sure what your complaint is, especially because I'm pretty sure you couldn't develop this game as universally WITHOUT google.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 29, 2014, 01:28:54 AM
You mean a game that is entirely based upon the physical location of the user's phone at any given moment could be made by someone OTHER than the company best known form mapping every roadway in the country world?

I'm not sure what your complaint is, especially because I'm pretty sure you couldn't develop this game as universally WITHOUT google.
fixt.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Eater of Clowns

When we link portals we're connecting synapses, a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and one day we'll hit the exact right combination of wiring. That day will be Google's Awakening.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 28, 2014, 01:03:33 PM
Nice.

Looking at the Intel map, it occurs to me that the reason Resistence keeps winning is because they simply have more people playing.  I wonder if it's a narrative choice: It fits in with the "brave humans fight the alien menace" story, whereas I feel like I'm playing the "bringing progress to humanity" story, where the Resistence are more like Neoreactionary luddites preventing mankind from advancing.

Then again, I may be reading too much into all this, and people choose Blue because it's a primary color.

In my observation, people do tend to gravitate toward blue, especially older players and players with more money, and I think it's exactly what you say; the romance of the brave defenders of humanity. The narrative of the Enlightenment seems to be less intuitively appealing for a lot of people; I've convinced several people go to green when their initial impulse was to go blue. Hot Cowboy is blue, which is completely what I would have predicted based on his age and socioeconomic status.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Good observation re: socioeconomics.  Incidentally, I got to Level 6, and it gets a lot easier to take out portals.  Make the game a lot more fun, in that you get a lot more involved in the competition.

Junkenstein

Quote from: Doktor Skinsaw on September 29, 2014, 03:50:29 PM
Nice.

Looking at the Intel map, it occurs to me that the reason Resistence keeps winning is because they simply have more people playing.  I wonder if it's a narrative choice: It fits in with the "brave humans fight the alien menace" story, whereas I feel like I'm playing the "bringing progress to humanity" story, where the Resistence are more like Neoreactionary luddites preventing mankind from advancing.

Then again, I may be reading too much into all this, and people choose Blue because it's a primary color.

In my observation, people do tend to gravitate toward blue, especially older players and players with more money, and I think it's exactly what you say; the romance of the brave defenders of humanity. The narrative of the Enlightenment seems to be less intuitively appealing for a lot of people; I've convinced several people go to green when their initial impulse was to go blue. Hot Cowboy is blue, which is completely what I would have predicted based on his age and socioeconomic status.

"Rugged individualism"? Humanity's last hope kind of tropes would seem to fit that.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Junkenstein on September 29, 2014, 08:27:30 PM
Quote from: Doktor Skinsaw on September 29, 2014, 03:50:29 PM
Nice.

"Rugged individualism"? Humanity's last hope kind of tropes would seem to fit that.

I don't know about that; they seem mostly to be pretty cooperative and good at working together to accomplish goals. I think it has more to do with conservatism and holding off change, because the more financially stable a person is the more threatening change becomes.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

So, another thing you probably know, but I just found out about: When you're attacking a portal, hold down the "Fire" button.  You'll hear a "whoop whoop" sound, and a white circle will shrink to a point centered around your position.  If you release the button when the circle is the smallest, your shot will get a hit bonus, up to 20%.  You can easily take out an L8 resonator with L6 bursters this way.

LMNO
-flippin' smurfs like it ain't no thang.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 01, 2014, 11:51:36 AM
So, another thing you probably know, but I just found out about: When you're attacking a portal, hold down the "Fire" button.  You'll hear a "whoop whoop" sound, and a white circle will shrink to a point centered around your position.  If you release the button when the circle is the smallest, your shot will get a hit bonus, up to 20%.  You can easily take out an L8 resonator with L6 bursters this way.

LMNO
-flippin' smurfs like it ain't no thang.

I did not know this, I'll try it!

My friend keeps talking about "glyphs" but I have no idea what she's talking about at all.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Oh here we go: https://support.google.com/ingress/answer/4574603?hl=en

Nice! I'll try this on my walk to the bus.

LMNO

Yeah, the glyphs take a little practice, but can be worth it if you're farming.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I'm slowed way down in my playing now that school has started,  but I hope to level up to 6... at some point this week.  :lulz:

Eater of Clowns

10 minutes ago, fire up Ingress and notice my "pet portal" down the street was blue. Nah, fuck that, threw on some pants and a jacket and destroyed the offender's resonators. Walk back to my door.

By the time I get two houses down to my apartment, the portal is blue again, with full resonators.

<.<   >.>

Motherfuckers be watchin me.

EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

LMNO

Dude, that's perfect. Start running up your AP.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 03, 2014, 02:43:17 AM
Dude, that's perfect. Start running up your AP.

THE MOTHERFUCKER FIGURED OUT WHICH RESONATOR I CAN HIT FROM MY COUCH. THAT ONE, ALONE, IS NOW LEVEL 8, WITH FULL SHIELDS AND A TURRET.

:argh!:

EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.