Main Menu

Roger: An Apology

Started by Captain Utopia, March 27, 2011, 07:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Utopia

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Salty

Ah you know I've never had a fight with Roger.
Maybe I'm just not committed enough to the idea.

Quite aside from that:
OP makes me sad inside. Because it's sad.
I like to think I'm fun. I certainly have fun, when things should be fun as well as when they shouldn't by any Normal's standard. Uh...

Seems to me that most of the Superbad Mean Folk here are laughing their heads off a good 90% of the time. I thought that was the point. If you don't want to take that ride because it's too close to the edge of Fucking Awful then it's probably for the best that you GTFOff.

ALSO: I don't see why all these PEOPLE who are dissatisfied with The Way Things Are can't just build their own little sandbox and play nice. *

For the record, I don't know what happened exactly but EBS is as dumb as a frozen bucket of paint. Please record that somewhere not in a newsfeed.

* :lol:

The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I was hoping for a better outcome. This is just stupid.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on March 27, 2011, 08:29:23 AM
I was hoping for a better outcome. This is just stupid.

I think I ruptured something.  :lol:

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Aucoq

Holy shit, the fight is over EBS?!  :horrormirth:
"All of the world's leading theologists agree only on the notion that God hates no-fault insurance."

Horrid and Sticky Llama Wrangler of Last Week's Forbidden Desire.

The Good Reverend Roger

The Good Reverend Roger

Also, it's no longer a "fight".  His "apology" was the last straw.  I've erased all of my content there, and now I have no stake in this other than humor.

The Good Reverend Roger

Here it is, in all it's glory:

Quote from: 'Captain Utopia' pid='266696' dateline='1301205833'
Dear Roger,

[align=right]That's great, and imma let you finish, but Socrates gave the best apology of all time.:plato:[/align]

Point, and so continuing on in that vein..

For those of you just joining us, here is the concise version of events, and here's a quick recap for everyone else:

• Miscommunication
  • NUCLEAR BUTTHURT
Sound familiar?

For those of you who haven't ever had a blowout with Rog, when it does happen you can expect a paranoia-fueled frenzy of creative misunderstanding taking every possible incidental detail as a grievous slight, peppered with expletives and hilarity.  No stone will be left unturned, no grudge forgotten, no avenue of character assassination left unexplored.  The service is professional and delivered with a smile.

Quote from: 'Charley Brown' pid='266663' dateline='1301155033'
Apologize to Roger.

This is good advice.  Functional advice.  Appeasing the God of Hateshit.  It would probably work.  Where "work" means to bring matters back to something resembling normal.  But I would have to lie or otherwise invent something to apologise about, because of one tiny fact.

I did absolutely nothing wrong by Roger.

The volume of the howl is not proportional to the actions which preceded it.

I could apologise.  I've responded in a respectful and measured tone to his grievances so far, tried to understand what lies at the root of his complaint, and that's worked so well that he's refused to discuss it any further with me.  I say this in all seriousness: that if you count the slights, the shit flinging - and how could I forget his joyful encouraging of PD to come troll over here - the burden of apology lies upon him.  I'm not holding my breath on that one.

So, all things considered - fuck that.  Back-to-normal is not good enough.  Time to make some New Mistakes.

And, so..

But this was never about personality clashes.  It's ideology.  There is a narrative, which grows more resonant with each retelling, and it looks a little like this:

• Pinealists, Pagans and countless other tribes are all "fair game" for abuse and insta-dismissal
  • Being able to recognise our 2nd circuit behaviour does not mean that we should aim to modify it
  • Shit is all doomed to fuck, so you might as well have a good time at the expense of the monkeys
  • The cynical outlook is the only truth
  • Grudges should be cherished and exercised
  • We've been over this before, and there's no need to reflect on our narrative, because it can't be changed anyway
Challenges to this narrative are always taken very personally.  Someone always gets hurt.  The immune system is terribly efficient.  It bit my ass many times before I learned to KYFMS.  I thought that by starting up here I could avoid it for a while longer.  I was wrong.

I've talked to many Discordians in the past few months.  I would have given up if I did not know that I am far from being alone at my dissatisfaction with the Stock Discordian Philosophy.

Q) Where are the Fun Discordians?  Where are the Happy-Go-Lucky Discordians?  Where are the Discordians who believe that shit may be bad, but it ain't all bad as that?  Where are the Discordians who are openly optimistic and hopeful about the future?  Where are the Discordians who believe that people can be saved, that reason can win out, that the game is only over when you give up trying?

A) They either got sucked into the miserable fuck narrative, or fled and never looked back.

I want to create a home for those Discordians.  The poor huddled masses who expected a new world, but crashed brutally against the shore of PD.com  The sort of folk who can take an occasional "please take your personal grudges out of this discussion" without going on a 100-post tantrum in response.  We have room.

(All Paths Are Welcome Here)

Let me highlight the best part:

QuoteQ) Where are the Fun Discordians?  Where are the Happy-Go-Lucky Discordians?  Where are the Discordians who believe that shit may be bad, but it ain't all bad as that?  Where are the Discordians who are openly optimistic and hopeful about the future?  Where are the Discordians who believe that people can be saved, that reason can win out, that the game is only over when you give up trying?

A) They either got sucked into the miserable fuck narrative, or fled and never looked back.

I want to create a home for those Discordians.  The poor huddled masses who expected a new world, but crashed brutally against the shore of PD.com  The sort of folk who can take an occasional "please take your personal grudges out of this discussion" without going on a 100-post tantrum in response.  We have room.

(All Paths Are Welcome Here)

East Coast Hustle

Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Payne

:lulz:

I think I figured out why FictionPuss was punched in the face so often when he was in Scotland.

I can pretty much rule out nationalism given that I, as a Scot, haven't punched even a single Englisher in the face since I moved here... Not even the douchey ones.

(It's true, holding and cherishing grudges really is part of the "Discordian Narrative"!)

AFK

Well, on the plus side for FP, now he has plenty of space over at EB&G to launch his e-Democracy project.  

:lulz:

Have fun with that.  
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

CU is Fictionpuss?  :?

I had no idea!

Anyway, that guy has no idea how to run a forum. With this kind of shit, it's going to go over about as well as CoG.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Don Coyote

How is that is a fucking apology?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Donald Coyote on March 27, 2011, 04:44:53 PM
How is that is a fucking apology?

It's not, It's just deliberately inflammatory, immature assholery.