News:

TESTEMONAIL:  Right and Discordianism allows room for personal interpretation. You have your theories and I have mine. Unlike Christianity, Discordia allows room for ideas and opinions, and mine is well-informed and based on ancient philosophy and theology, so, my neo-Discordian friends, open your minds to my interpretation and I will open my mind to yours. That's fair enough, right? Just claiming to be discordian should mean that your mind is open and willing to learn and share ideas. You guys are fucking bashing me and your laughing at my theologies and my friends know what's up and are laughing at you and honestly this is my last shot at putting a label on my belief structure and your making me lose all hope of ever finding a ideological group I can relate to because you don't even know what the fuck I'm talking about and everything I have said is based on the founding principals of real Discordianism. Expand your mind.

Main Menu

UNLIMITED GOP 2012 PRIMARY CANDIDATE THREAD

Started by LMNO, March 03, 2011, 02:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

QuoteMitt Romney returned from a three-week spring break in 1965 to resume his studies as a high school senior at the prestigious Cranbrook School. Back on the handsome campus, studded with Tudor brick buildings and manicured fields, he spotted something he thought did not belong at a school where the boys wore ties and carried briefcases. John Lauber, a soft-spoken new student one year behind Romney, was perpetually teased for his nonconformity and presumed homosexuality. Now he was walking around the all-boys school with bleached-blond hair that draped over one eye, and Romney wasn�t having it.

�He can�t look like that. That�s wrong. Just look at him!� an incensed Romney told Matthew Friedemann, his close friend in the Stevens Hall dorm, according to Friedemann�s recollection. Mitt, the teenaged son of Michigan Gov. George Romney, kept complaining about Lauber�s look, Friedemann recalled.

A few days later, Friedemann entered Stevens Hall off the school�s collegiate quad to find Romney marching out of his own room ahead of a prep school posse shouting about their plan to cut Lauber�s hair. Friedemann followed them to a nearby room where they came upon Lauber, tackled him and pinned him to the ground. As Lauber, his eyes filling with tears, screamed for help, Romney repeatedly clipped his hair with a pair of scissors.

<more at link>

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/mitt-romneys-prep-school-classmates-recall-pranks-but-also-troubling-incidents/2012/05/10/gIQA3WOKFU_print.html

Incidentally, Romney has admitted recently that this event took place.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 10, 2012, 06:36:09 PM
QuoteMitt Romney returned from a three-week spring break in 1965 to resume his studies as a high school senior at the prestigious Cranbrook School. Back on the handsome campus, studded with Tudor brick buildings and manicured fields, he spotted something he thought did not belong at a school where the boys wore ties and carried briefcases. John Lauber, a soft-spoken new student one year behind Romney, was perpetually teased for his nonconformity and presumed homosexuality. Now he was walking around the all-boys school with bleached-blond hair that draped over one eye, and Romney wasn�t having it.

�He can�t look like that. That�s wrong. Just look at him!� an incensed Romney told Matthew Friedemann, his close friend in the Stevens Hall dorm, according to Friedemann�s recollection. Mitt, the teenaged son of Michigan Gov. George Romney, kept complaining about Lauber�s look, Friedemann recalled.

A few days later, Friedemann entered Stevens Hall off the school�s collegiate quad to find Romney marching out of his own room ahead of a prep school posse shouting about their plan to cut Lauber�s hair. Friedemann followed them to a nearby room where they came upon Lauber, tackled him and pinned him to the ground. As Lauber, his eyes filling with tears, screamed for help, Romney repeatedly clipped his hair with a pair of scissors.

<more at link>

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/mitt-romneys-prep-school-classmates-recall-pranks-but-also-troubling-incidents/2012/05/10/gIQA3WOKFU_print.html

You know, I would feel differently about this if he hadn't denied remembering it, and if he had expressed remorse.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Luna

Quote from: FUCK OFF on May 10, 2012, 07:07:37 PM

<more at link>

You know, I would feel differently about this if he hadn't denied remembering it, and if he had expressed remorse.

This is, apparently, Romney's idea of a "prank," which he is now excusing because he "didn't know he was gay."  So...  it's okay to have your friends hold someone down and cut off his hair while he screams for help if he's straight?
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Deepthroat Chopra

Quote from: Luna on May 11, 2012, 03:32:57 AM
Quote from: FUCK OFF on May 10, 2012, 07:07:37 PM

<more at link>

This is, apparently, Romney's idea of a "prank," which he is now excusing because he "didn't know he was gay."  So...  it's okay to have your friends hold someone down and cut off his hair while he screams for help if he's straight?

Apparently, it's quite common amongst fringe-dwellers.
Chainsaw-Wielding Fistula Detector

Cain

Meh, people do stupid shit as teenagers, mostly because teenagers are really fucking stupid.

What's telling is not what he did, but his reaction to it in the present. 

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Cain on May 11, 2012, 04:31:49 AM
Meh, people do stupid shit as teenagers, mostly because teenagers are really fucking stupid.

What's telling is not what he did, but his reaction to it in the present.

I don't think he comprehends when something or someone other than himself suffers. Like when he strapped his dog to the top of the car and it crapped everywhere, he just hosed the car off and kept going.

It woul be interesting to see psych evals on a lot of these guys.  :horrormirth:
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Nephew Twiddleton

Yeah.

The fact that he claims to not have remembered the incident means one of two things. Well. Three. Hes a lying asshole. Hes so much of an asshole that he cant remember all the asshole things hes done throughout his life. Hes going senile. The last one at least has the benefit of explaining why his position is constantly changing.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Cain

Its not the not remembering.  It was the not caring, "I'm sorry if you were offended" bullshit.

Then again, he's probably got at least one spin doctor telling him that forcibly cutting the long hair of a hippie faggot will go down well with the GOP base.

Precious Moments Zalgo

Quote from: Cain on May 11, 2012, 05:48:29 PM
Its not the not remembering.  It was the not caring, "I'm sorry if you were offended" bullshit.

Then again, he's probably got at least one spin doctor telling him that forcibly cutting the long hair of a hippie faggot will go down well with the GOP base.
Obama announced his support for gay marriage, while Romney announces his opposition and is revealed to have been a high school bully.

The latest Rasmussen poll now shows Romney with a 7% (50-43) lead over Obama, his largest ever.

Are these facts related?  I don't want to fall victim to the "after this, therefore because of this fallacy".  The story where I read about the poll said that the respondents were most concerned about the economy.
I will answer ANY prayer for $39.95.*

*Unfortunately, I cannot give refunds in the event that the answer is no.

Cain

Ramussen can be a bit unreliable when it comes to Democrat versus Republican.  You need to factor in a 2-4% margin of error for their statistics, in my experience.

Obama coming out for gay marriage shouldn't have harmed him - he actually waited until the polls showed an overall majority in favour of gay marriage before saying anything (look at this graph for confirmation).

If Romney will win for any reason, it will be the economy.  Most voters seem to accept Obama was dealt a shitty hand by Bush, but if Team Romney can shift that perception, then their chances of success rise considerably.

Freeky

Cain, what's a reliable source for polls and statistics like that?

Cain

Quinnipiac and SurveyUSA are the most reliable, with 3.3 and 3.5 errors of margin, respectively.

Freeky

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on May 11, 2012, 06:19:56 PM
Ramussen can be a bit unreliable when it comes to Democrat versus Republican. 

Well, yeah, Murdoch owns them.
Molon Lube

Cain

Most polls do, for some reason, exhibit a very slight bias in favour of Republicans anyway.  Even the above two, when they got it wrong, got it more wrong in favour of the GOP than the Donkle (by 0.7% - not a huge amount and likely statistically irrelevant, but still).

Ramussen in particular have a problem where they are in charge of FOX News' Polls, under another name (Pulse Opinion Polling, I think), and they then use data from that to inform their other polls.  Which of course, is stupid, if you want to know what the actual truth is.

But then, polling isn't necessarily about the truth.  Pollsters often act as spin doctors and political advisors.  If you want to create a narrative of inevitability about a candidate, or inflate a certain someone's chances...a slightly inaccurate poll may be just what the doctor ordered.

tl;dr everything you need to know about how modern political campaigns are run can be discovered by studying Tony Blair's 1997 victory.  Philip Gould in particular, who died quite recently, was very effective as a political strategist because of his background in polling.