CAN'T A BROTHER GET A LITTLE PEACE?

Main Menu

The Last Whiskey Bar

Started by Suu, December 04, 2012, 03:19:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suu

Quote from: Net on January 10, 2013, 02:31:45 AM
Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on January 09, 2013, 10:31:58 PM
Oh, my god. My week sucks. This is completely unsustainable. I can't pay my mortgage AND I'm stressed out about how much I'm working, and I have a shit ton of homework due. Really, world? Fuck you.

Oh, and I have what is most likely a foreclosure notice waiting for me at the post office.

If anyone is going to get the world to fuck off, it would be you Nigel.

Seriously, I think it's time to Nigel the hell out of the world. By the balls. To the wall.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

The amount of taxes taken from my check went up to 1/3 of said check. I made less than $200. Tiiiiime to job hunt!
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Suu

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on January 10, 2013, 07:18:48 PM
The amount of taxes taken from my check went up to 1/3 of said check. I made less than $200. Tiiiiime to job hunt!

Are you claiming 0 on your W-4?

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

The Good Reverend Roger

Everything's gone quiet here.  Thank God.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

You mean at the plant?  That meanacing quite before the explosion?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on January 11, 2013, 02:11:40 PM
You mean at the plant?  That meanacing quite before the explosion?

Actually, it feels like the horrible silence AFTER the bomb has gone off.

I mean, there's the usual Friday emergencies, but only about 12 of them.  Not like the last 2 weeks.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

LMNO

Ah.  Aftermath.

Our company is going through an "Effectiveness & Efficiency" initiative.  Which means: Layoffs.  I'm pretty sure I'm safe (it's good to know how to do things no one else can), but the entire team is on edge.

Cain

Revenge rides a slow horse.

As you may remember, a week ago, a student (tried to) threaten me.  This didn't turn out as I planned, and my boss said she'd take care of the disciplinary aspects of it on Monday.

On Monday....nothing.

Tuesday....nothing.  Those are my days off, so I guessed I just wasn't notified.

Wednesday evening...send an email.  Nothing.

Thursday evening.  Resend my email.  Still nothing.

Friday, send an email to the person above my boss in charge of student discipline, with a detailed account of Saturday night, along with possible evidence of marijuana being smoked in the building (well, it is.  But evidence of this particular student doing it).

Suddenly, meetings are being convened between the discipline guy and the student's head of year. 

Nothing will likely happen until Monday, as he is skiving (and blatantly so - also logged and sent to his head of year), but at least someone is paying attention.

Oh, and he's being issued with a £400 fine for smoking in his room, regardless of anything else.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on January 11, 2013, 02:30:23 PM
Ah.  Aftermath.

Our company is going through an "Effectiveness & Efficiency" initiative.  Which means: Layoffs.  I'm pretty sure I'm safe (it's good to know how to do things no one else can), but the entire team is on edge.

Yep.

You can either:

A)  Work more unpaid overtime to cover the layoffs, or

B)  Be one of the layoffs.

ANY time you hear the word "initiative", hold onto your ass.

Suu

Quote from: Cain on January 11, 2013, 02:47:06 PM

As you may remember, a week ago, a student (tried to) threaten me.  This didn't turn out as I planned, and my boss said she'd take care of the disciplinary aspects of it on Monday.

On Monday....nothing.

Tuesday....nothing.  Those are my days off, so I guessed I just wasn't notified.

Friday, send an email to the person above my boss in charge of student discipline, with a detailed account of Saturday night, along with possible evidence of marijuana being smoked in the building (well, it is.  But evidence of this particular student doing it).

Suddenly, meetings are being convened between the discipline guy and the student's head of year. 

Nothing will likely happen until Monday, as he is skiving (and blatantly so - also logged and sent to his head of year), but at least someone is paying attention.

Oh, and he's being issued with a £400 fine for smoking in his room, regardless of anything else.

I had to look up what skiving meant.

Damn Brits, speak ENGLISH!  :argh!:

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on January 11, 2013, 02:47:06 PM

On Monday....nothing.

Thing is, now you HAVE to chase it, if you want anything resembling actual authority.

Cain

Quote from: Suu on January 11, 2013, 03:17:31 PM
I had to look up what skiving meant.

Damn Brits, speak ENGLISH!  :argh!:

Skiving is a classic British word.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 11, 2013, 03:18:58 PM
Thing is, now you HAVE to chase it, if you want anything resembling actual authority.

True.  However, since I'm the one who has to live two rooms away from him, I am inclined to do whatever I need to get rid of him.  He was the thief who didn't get expelled(!), and I am now sufficiently determined to make his life a misery of paperwork, meetings and being checked on constantly while given just enough rope to hang himself with.  Even if it does mean more work for myself in the meantime.

LMNO

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 11, 2013, 03:15:44 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on January 11, 2013, 02:30:23 PM
Ah.  Aftermath.

Yep.

You can either:

A)  Work more unpaid overtime to cover the layoffs, or

B)  Be one of the layoffs.

ANY time you hear the word "initiative", hold onto your ass.

In a perfect world, they'd gut middle management.  In this world, there will be offshoring and "increased efficiency and productivity measures."

Mangrove

What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Mangrove on January 11, 2013, 04:05:02 PM
And now....the PARENT OF THE YEAR AWARD GOES TO.....

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/parents-admit-giving-teething-baby-heroin-223715074.html

Wanna know what's even more depressing?

How many kids die of neglect every year that the news can't be fucked to bother reporting on because it isn't as juicy as "parents rub heroin on baby's gums". If it doesn't have that "drugz n drugz n drugz" hook, they usually just ignore it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."