Are we more depressed because we're getting smarter?

Started by Q. G. Pennyworth, December 17, 2013, 05:10:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Pæs on December 17, 2013, 10:14:01 PM
I'm curious whether we're less happy or whether our depression detecting surveys are more sensitive and our answers to them are more open.

We can really only speculate, but I would  tend to speculate yes, and also a cultural shift toward accepting depression rather than masking it.

This approach is not without drawbacks, of course.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on December 17, 2013, 10:27:25 PM
I'm curious whether we're less happy or whether our depression detecting surveys are more sensitive and our answers to them are more open.

We can really only speculate, but I would  tend to speculate yes, and also a cultural shift toward accepting depression rather than masking it.

I think I agree, because as I understand it, depression isn't "being sad", it's a chemical thingie.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Ben Shapiro

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on December 17, 2013, 10:34:08 PM
Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on December 17, 2013, 10:27:25 PM

I think I agree, because as I understand it, depression isn't "being sad", it's a chemical thingie.

Me too. I always thought it was a withdraw of those chemicals that make you happy like DMT etc..

Odibex Grallspice

Oh, yeah.. when I was depressed it was more a lack of any emotion than sadness. That's more or less passed, though. And by strictly chemical means(pills I mean) nothing else I could do could end it.

JamesStrangefellow

If you get smarter about how to be happy or happiness in general,  than it's a wrap.

If you get smart about the wrong things, then it's a trap.

I read somewhere, sometime ago that knowledge puffs up, but love builds up.

I would also say that wisdom contains both knowledge, love, and happiness.  Seek that if you are a go-getter. 

Too many put the cart before the horse. I know that's something i do all the time, then wonder why we aren't going anywhere. 

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: JamesStrangefellow on May 19, 2014, 01:47:24 PM
If you get smarter about how to be happy or happiness in general,  than it's a wrap.

I would also say that wisdom contains both knowledge, love, and happiness.  Seek that if you are a go-getter. 

Too many put the cart before the horse. I know that's something i do all the time, then wonder why we aren't going anywhere.

This was amazing.  All those words, and they don't say anything.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

JamesStrangefellow

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 19, 2014, 02:09:09 PM

the last time i saw a word say anything was on sesame street.

I think most do mime work when not making sentences or not making sense.

JamesStrangefellow

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 19, 2014, 02:09:09 PM

Also, Roger you were probably going to get to the paradox of happiness. PARADOX ALERT
Excuse me good man for taking a page out of your sermon if so.

It's really difficult to be happy while actually seeking happiness. It's quite juxtipository. (I think that means someone always winds up taking it up the butt who doesn't like it up the butt)

When you seek to make others happy though, sincerely mean it, and let it affect you, it magikally appears in abundance.

The Good Reverend Roger

I'm done.  You just keep doing your thing, man.

LMNO

Sorry, my brain shut off when you used sheldrake as a reference.

UB

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on December 17, 2013, 05:10:28 PM
Random thought: people are (in general terms, in western society) less happy than they may have been in generations past. This is only in part correlated with the distressing economic situation, there was a lot of vague anxiety/distress/depression going on culturally in the 90s, too. Take into account the fact that people (in general terms, in western society) are by all reasonable measurements getting smarter, and that smartness is correlated with mental health problems, and you have to ask: have we hit the tipping point where the majority of people are at significant risk of mental health concerns due to their intelligence?

Interesting, but it seems, generally speaking, that 'we' are more depressed because some of us are more present than others and it is fucking defeating. Exhausting. I no longer wonder why ranters rant on PD like undiscipline mental disasters.
Within the grip of Err.... some are fucked in the head by a fist of fire.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Inge on June 08, 2014, 04:39:54 PM
Random thought: people are (in general terms, in western society) less happy than they may have been in generations past. This is only in part correlated with the distressing economic situation, there was a lot of vague anxiety/distress/depression going on culturally in the 90s, too. Take into account the fact that people (in general terms, in western society) are by all reasonable measurements getting smarter, and that smartness is correlated with mental health problems, and you have to ask: have we hit the tipping point where the majority of people are at significant risk of mental health concerns due to their intelligence?

Interesting, but it seems, generally speaking, that 'we' are more depressed because some of us are more present than others and it is fucking defeating. Exhausting. I no longer wonder why ranters rant on PD like undiscipline mental disasters.

Thanks, RWHN.  Enjoy your new alt for a few minutes.

UB

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 08, 2014, 05:14:57 PM

I've been blocked from a few sites for being declared a "sock"... I'm amazed at how such an exhibited show of intellect would prove so faulty in factual reality.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Inge on June 08, 2014, 05:38:17 PM

I've been blocked from a few sites for being declared a "sock"... I'm amazed at how such an exhibited show of intellect would prove so faulty in factual reality.

BLAH BLAH BLAH

Gee, I don't know.  You kick the door in and act like an arse to a specific set of people, choice of name, inability to NOT post on a drug thread, and generally act like a butthurt asshole on day 1.

So, either you're RWHN back for your glorious vengeance, or you're just a complete asshole.

The end result is the same.  But it can't be you, right?  It has to be all the boards that have banned you for being a sock.

UB

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 08, 2014, 05:41:01 PM
Quote from: Inge on June 08, 2014, 05:38:17 PM

BLAH BLAH BLAH

Gee, I don't know.  You kick the door in and act like an arse to a specific set of people, choice of name, inability to NOT post on a drug thread, and generally act like a butthurt asshole on day 1.

So, either you're RWHN back for your glorious vengeance, or you're just a complete asshole.

The end result is the same.  But it can't be you, right?  It has to be all the boards that have banned you for being a sock.

It wasn't ALL the boards, perhaps it was that I merely tend to prefer boards that seem to share common USERS. I don't agree that psychotic influences are necessarily drug induced. It is my belief that our tendancy to pressure cook certain types of personalities into devastatingly irrevocable consequential REACTIVE states of mind is reprehensibly FLAWED. Hence, the why I posted on a drug related thread.

Seriously, TGRR, chill.