News:

Sometimes I rattle the cage and beat my head uselessly against its bars, but sometimes, I can shake one loose and use it as a dildo.

Main Menu

Illuminatus! for the first time.

Started by Disco Pickle, September 03, 2010, 07:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Disco Pickle

So I just reached the point where the two people, dressed as clowns, argue different sides of an issue.

I wasn't feeling terribly impressed with this book up until this point in the story.

This may have been the most enlightening moment in the trilogy, caused me to question why I've ever taken a position on any issue, ever, and made me feel like the entire acid trip of a book was worth reading.

I still liked Schrodingers Cat better though.

"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Triple Zero

My edition on the book said on the cover text that you don't really get "in" to the story until page 100 ... or was it 300 .. well, somewhere. Not that the first bit isn't good, but just that nothing really seems to make sense at first.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Triple Zero on September 03, 2010, 09:33:04 PM
My edition on the book said on the cover text that you don't really get "in" to the story until page 100 ... or was it 300 .. well, somewhere. Not that the first bit isn't good, but just that nothing really seems to make sense at first.

Yep, it made no sense to me until about 3/4 the way through the first book... about halfway through the second book it actually felt like I was actually reading a book rather than having RAW vomit on  my brain for fun.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Ratatosk on September 03, 2010, 09:35:38 PM

Yep, it made no sense to me until about 3/4 the way through the first book... about halfway through the second book it actually felt like I was actually reading a book rather than having RAW vomit on  my brain for fun.

Such as repeating the long descriptions of the leaders of US, Soviet Union and China verbatim.
On the bright side you see htat sort of shit coming and can skim to the end of it.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Doktor Blight on September 03, 2010, 11:48:16 PM

Such as repeating the long descriptions of the leaders of US, Soviet Union and China verbatim.
On the bright side you see htat sort of shit coming and can skim to the end of it.

the whole book seems like a really long joke so in that sense, it's entertaining..  other than that, I've found myself wondering why I keep turning the page at times.

Maybe I'm just a masochistic reader.  I'm not willing to discount this theory, as I also some how made it through an entire Laurel K. Hamilton book without setting it on fire, in the hopes that it wouldn't infect anyone else.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Triple Zero

No, Schroedinger's Cat was a really, really really long dick joke :) Illuminatus is ... well it doesn't really have a punchline, it's just got awesome bits.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Faust

Quote from: Doktor Blight on September 03, 2010, 11:48:16 PM

I always read those in full, and giggled the whole way through.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cramulus

I think the trilogy goes through the five discordians seasons pretty well

in the beginning is Chaos - nothing makes sense yet, it's all over the place

it gradually gets more ordered, like a traditional novel

by the climax of the book, we're in Bureaucracy - the narrative is pretty coherent, the story is focused

and then by the end of the book, Aftermath is rising and it starts to get kooky again.

I love Illuminatus, I really do. so much that I own a copy just for lending. It's just too bad that some of the points it makes are getting kind of dated -- I mean, one of the big revolutions in the book is the interracial romance. Which was probably a bit more ground breaking when it was published.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Cramulus on September 07, 2010, 03:30:09 PM

I think the trilogy goes through the five discordians seasons pretty well

in the beginning is Chaos - nothing makes sense yet, it's all over the place

it gradually gets more ordered, like a traditional novel

by the climax of the book, we're in Bureaucracy - the narrative is pretty coherent, the story is focused

and then by the end of the book, Aftermath is rising and it starts to get kooky again.

I love Illuminatus, I really do. so much that I own a copy just for lending. It's just too bad that some of the points it makes are getting kind of dated -- I mean, one of the big revolutions in the book is the interracial romance. Which was probably a bit more ground breaking when it was published.

I kept the time period in mind. The characters also have back stories which firmly put them in the appropriate time period.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

the last yatto

Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Requia ☣

I don't think that has any direct link to Illuminatus, the publishers description makes is sound like a scifi/AR fanfic of the fall of troy.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Telarus

The Schrodinger's Cat Trilogy is usually considered the sequel...
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

the last yatto

Well the one written by RAW, but the style of discord's apple is reading simular well minus the fnords
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit