News:

Feel my amazing brain. Go on, touch it!

Main Menu

Rev Roger Special Bonus Sermon 26, take 2.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, May 29, 2004, 08:05:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Trollax

Life is lived under a stoa in the garden of epicurean delights in between bouts of knocking your head against those of others...

Do not think I am going to settle for a ham and cheese sandwich. I ask you what have we done for each other, not just what have we done for eris?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: St. Trollax, ODDLife is lived under a stoa in the garden of epicurean delights in between bouts of knocking your head against those of others...

Do not think I am going to settle for a ham and cheese sandwich. I ask you what have we done for each other, not just what have we done for eris?

1.  Life is a goddamned heartless, rigged game, and 999 men out of a thousand are bastards.

2.  Pffft.  Twaddle.  Unless what you have done for each other has caused serious havoc in the machine of the Grey Monolith(tm), of what use is it?

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Trollax

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger
Quote from: St. Trollax, ODDLife is lived under a stoa in the garden of epicurean delights in between bouts of knocking your head against those of others...

1.  Life is a goddamned heartless, rigged game, and 999 men out of a thousand are bastards.

2.  Pffft.  Twaddle.  Unless what you have done for each other has caused serious havoc in the machine of the Grey Monolith(tm), of what use is it?

1.) I agree with you

2.) I'm not nihlist. I'm not an anarchist. I'm not an "ism" and I sure as all fucking hell ain't the walrus. You define value by what pertinence something has to your system of belief. Just like they do. Think about that. You are a utilitarian just like those bastards up on the hill. What use is life? What use is your life? If you can examine your life and find no laughter then I say your life is worthless.

3.) You can't kill the human spirit any more than you can build a monster.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: St. Trollax, ODD

2.) I'm not nihlist. I'm not an anarchist. I'm not an "ism" and I sure as all fucking hell ain't the walrus. You define value by what pertinence something has to your system of belief.

Well, welcome to the monkeyhouse.

If you seriously can't tell the difference between me and thos fuckwits on the hill, then I suggest you watch a little CSpan, and then re-read this.  The difference will become obvious.

Bella

I'm sooo sleepy that the words of this sermon are dancing around in front of my eyes.
Gonna have to check it out after a good night's sleep.
It looks like a real rip snorter, Roger.
Glad to see you're back to writing sermons again......I've missed em.
just like in a dream
you'll open your mouth to scream
and you won't make a sound

you can't believe your eyes
you can't believe your ears
you can't believe your friends
you can't believe you're here

Slarti

i'm perfectly happy right now, even in the knowledge that i am an indirect slave to the "Great Grey Monolith" or whatever you call it. What say thee?

Colonel Failure

So, Im sitting here at my job that manages to be wage-slavery and slackalicious at the same time... and I read this sermon and am yet not motivated to go out and drop a toothbrush down the john. Why? Not because the Good Rev's doomsaying is way outta line. No, I do honestly believe that we're one (maybe two) really bad domestic hits away from becoming a seriously Imperial society.

But I knew that already.

So what's the point Rog? I should put Purple Haze (my one-foot resin bubbler) back in the closet and do... What, exactly?

Drop toothbrushes down public toilets? I fail to see how that is going to 'enlighten' anyone. It's gonna piss off the poor shmuck who has to clean it up and fix it, and the Greyface running whichever little operation you've jaked ain't gonna become any wiser for it. You just going to suck down some money from somebody's maintenance budget and make some people angry.

Does this serve Eris' purposes? Does it promote the Eristic Principle?

I don't think so. It's *destructive disorder* and it falls under the purview of the Eristic ILLUSION. Which, IMHO, is a Bad Thing.

How does having your secretary inventory ceiling tiles help stop the coming of the Grey Monolith?

I don't see the connection.

Quote"Grandpa, what did YOU do during the revolution?"

"Ummm...I smoked pot."

Revolution, huh? You think the American people are going to rise up in armed revolution against the Government? Not. The american people are a bunch of slack-jawed, morbidly obese, couch potatoes. And you, me, the rest of the Discordians (even us so-called ones), along with all the sepratist militia gun-nuts would probably provide less than a week's worth of entertainment/target practice for the the Military and Paramilitary Law Enforcement agencies that would be arrayed against us. But maybe you were speaking metaphorically, and you meant a revolution of ideas...

Well, chew on this: All real, lasting cultural change is either generational or bloody.

Personally, if it comes down to it, I am willing to fight for what I believe in. But I'm not inclined to get blood on my hands unless somebody else forces the issue.

As I see it, the near future of this nation holds three possibilities:

I may be a fool, but I'm holding out hope that the Thuddites are becoming dissatisfied with shrub, and can't help but notice that when he's not looking down his nose at them, he finding them new enemies or pissing off their old friends. Not that Kerry's any better, but at least the switch would be a clear signal to the government that they'd gone too far and it was time to start backpedaling. We're all still pretty much screwed, but maybe we unscrew ourselves just a bit.

On the other hand, maybe everybody's favorite turban-wearing psycho will decide that Bush is good for his cause (which he is), and maybe he'll get away with hitting us at home again this summer (which would basically be like running down Main ST waving a Four More Years! sign),in which case... Imperialism. We're all totally screwed.

Finally, maybe radical-fundie-psycho-terror guy doesn't get to hit us, but Bush wins the election anyway, in which case we continue down the slow road to stagnation, nationalism, isolationism, and authoritarianism. Again, screwed just not as quick and with more lube.

See, funny thing about our country is that the path of our future has forks built into it on fundamental levels. Those great hypocrites, the Founding Fathers, did actually know what they were doing. And come November, we'll find out which way we're headed for the next few years (Little Unscrewed, Screwed, or Totally Screwed)

But the thing is, Rog, none of these choices are up to you or me, really. Sure we can vote, but (patriotic/principle-of-the-thing arguments aside) we all know a single vote doesn't change things, elections only measure the aggragate will of the people, such as it is.

So I guess what I'm saying is... you wanna change things? you wanna alter to course of this nation's path? You want me to get off my ass and help in some way other than Fnording currency and defacing it with thought-provoking Discordian koans before returning it to circulation?

OK.

What's your game plan? By my count, we've got six months to enlighten a sufficient portion of the population and affect the outcome of the election, so that we can get rid of shrub (not gonna solve anything, really, but I'd venture to say it's a good first step).

So what are we gonna do, Rev?

I'm all for participating in a coordinated, nation-wide, bit of Jakery that will peel the scales off the eyes of the Thuddites and actually accomplish something.

But the toothbrush thing ain't it.

And I can't think of anything at the moment.

But that's probably because I smoke too much pot.

- Colonel Failure
   (recklessly stepping in front of the guy with the flamethrower)

PS - I'm not trying to give you a hard time, really, it's just I've been lurking this board for weeks, just started posting, and I was getting tired of dipping my toes in the shallow end of the pool. Felt like doing a connonball. Or maybe a belly flop. Guess that one's up to the jury. Anyway, take it personally - but not as an attack. It's a compliment that you are able to provoke a visceral reaction. But I'm sure you realize that already, right, Rev?
All I knew, all I believed
Are crumbling images
No longer comforting me.
Scramble to reach higher ground,
Order and sanity,
Something to comfort me.

I take what is mine, and hold what is mine,
Suffocate what is mine, and bury what's mine.
Soon the water will come
And claim what is mine.
I must leave it behind,
And climb to a new place now.

This ground is not the rock I thought it to be.

Tool, Flood

----------------
Do you believe
In the lies, the lies, the lies that shape your world?
Do you believe
In your own, your own, fictitious immortality?

The world won't end while you walk the earth
And when you realize that your life don't matter
You'll turn to something to help you forget
That you're only young once, old forever

And we become what we hate
(Don't think of us)

-Screeching Weasel, What We Hate[/size][/color]

Phantom Trollax

UP WITH COLONEL FAILURE!

Sir, you are the shit and I salute your shit.

Efrim

Quote from: Phantom TrollaxUP WITH COLONEL FAILURE!

quite. You know much that is hidden. excellent retort. Should bring out the best in Roger as well.
"There comes a time when every man feels the urge to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats." -- H.L. Mencken

L,
Efrim

Colonel Failure

Quote from: Efrim

quite. You know much that is hidden. excellent retort. Should bring out the best in Roger as well.

Yeah.... that's what I'm afraid of...  :?
Are crumbling images
No longer comforting me.
Order and sanity,
Something to comfort me.

Soon the water will come
And claim what is mine.
I must leave it behind,

Tool, Flood

----------------
Do you believe
Do you believe

(Don't think of us)

Efrim

Quote from: Colonel Failure
Quote from: Efrim

Yeah.... that's what I'm afraid of...  :?

As you damn well should be...
"There comes a time when every man feels the urge to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats." -- H.L. Mencken

L,
Efrim

Bella

I'm kinda looking forward to listening to the two of you.
This is going to be very interesting.
just like in a dream
you'll open your mouth to scream
and you won't make a sound

you can't believe your eyes
you can't believe your ears
you can't believe your friends
you can't believe you're here

Efrim

Actually Colonel, I'm so impressed with your critque of Roger that I would consider it a favor if you took a look at my latest rant, the manifesto one.

L,
Efrim

Colonel Failure

I just did, actually... and my very first thought was Hail Yes!

I'm mulling over a reply, which I'll probably put up before I go to lunch (around 4pm est). But I like it.  :)
Are crumbling images
No longer comforting me.
Order and sanity,
Something to comfort me.

Soon the water will come
And claim what is mine.
I must leave it behind,

Tool, Flood

----------------
Do you believe
Do you believe

(Don't think of us)