News:

Endorsement: "I could go so far as to say they simply use Discordianism as a mechanism for causing havoc, and an excuse for mischief."

Main Menu

A curiosity about the South, for people who live here

Started by The Dark Monk, July 02, 2012, 09:59:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Dark Monk

Have you ever had someone argue with you that the North crashed down and the South won?
Someone who argued that moderation is actually in fact, BAD for you?
That WW2 didn't only involve Jewish people and Normandy wasn't the only battle?
I thought this is all there is,
but now I know you are so much more.
I want to upgrade from my simple eight bits,
but will you still love me when I'm sixty-four?
~MIAB~

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Dark Monk on July 02, 2012, 09:59:52 PM
Have you ever had someone argue with you that the North crashed down and the South won?

Of course the South won.  They infected the rest of the country with their bullshit, and we've been fucked up ever since.

Not all victories are on the battlefield.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Dark Monk

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 02, 2012, 10:01:23 PM

Of course the South won.  They infected the rest of the country with their bullshit, and we've been fucked up ever since.

But that insists that people here in the South actually think that far.
~MIAB~

tyrannosaurus vex

The South lost the shooting war, and they would have lost the cultural war if Nixon hadn't sold the rest of us out with his "Southern Strategy."
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Dark Monk on July 02, 2012, 11:44:16 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 02, 2012, 10:01:23 PM

But that insists that people here in the South actually think that far.

No, it doesn't.  The South is an infection.  Infections don't need to think to be effective.  It's a bad meme...IE, "The REAL 'Murrica".

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: v3x on July 02, 2012, 11:50:53 PM
The South lost the shooting war, and they would have lost the cultural war if Nixon hadn't sold the rest of us out with his "Southern Strategy."

It would have crept in anyway.

Golden Applesauce

Of course the south won. They were fighting for freedom, which is always the right thing to do - it was a moral victory. That the side fighting for state oppression won the shooting does not reflect weakness on the part of the south, but is symptom of the moral decline of the country as a whole. It was the young nation deciding that it wasn't really interested in living up to its divine providence of being the land where the brave freely lived their life in the path of righteousness. Now it's the land where an institution elected by the lowest common denominator makes "moral" decisions for the populace, rather than allowing the individual to think for himself in matters of the soul. We don't trust in God any more, we trust that the statist central government trusts in God (it says so on the money!). Because we fear the personal responsibility of consulting the ultimate source of knowledge ourselves, we've delegated our freedom of thought to an artificial conglomeration of the most cowardly, short-sided, and greedy voices.

That's how we ended up with such ridiculousness as the trendy, progressive notion that abortion is somehow empowering to women, despite the fact that most babies killed that way are girls. It doesn't make any sense, but it panders to the voting majority who can't be bothered to plan ahead or take responsibility for themselves. Or the notion that we can all live more prosperously via a shell game that rotates money from productive citizens to those who are neither. Even a child knows that you can't make more playdoh by rolling it thinner, but grown adults are willing to suspend critical thinking for the sake of a nice tax refund at the end of the year. We've even decided that the ideal society has a faux-egalitarian "flat" structure - why go to the effort of self-improvement if you're already in a 300-million way tie for first (last) place? - because we don't want to admit that we might need to take inspiration from role models ahead of us on the natural hierarchy. And to hold it all in place, our schooling system now more closely resembles re-education camps, explicitly designed to un-teach what children instinctively know or have been taught be non-state sanctioned sources of wisdom like parents or pastors.

All because Northern factory owners wanted to make the South safe for their soulless, but highly profitable*, interpretation of capitalism.

*It only seemed profitable because of huge tariffs imposed on the rest of the country, but they were still willing to kill true patriots over it.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

navkat

Quote from: Golden Applesauce on July 04, 2012, 07:48:48 PM
Of course the south won. They were fighting for freedom, which is always the right thing to do - it was a moral victory. That the side fighting for state oppression won the shooting does not reflect weakness on the part of the south, but is symptom of the moral decline of the country as a whole. It was the young nation deciding that it wasn't really interested in living up to its divine providence of being the land where the brave freely lived their life in the path of righteousness. Now it's the land where an institution elected by the lowest common denominator makes "moral" decisions for the populace, rather than allowing the individual to think for himself in matters of the soul. We don't trust in God any more, we trust that the statist central government trusts in God (it says so on the money!). Because we fear the personal responsibility of consulting the ultimate source of knowledge ourselves, we've delegated our freedom of thought to an artificial conglomeration of the most cowardly, short-sided, and greedy voices.

That's how we ended up with such ridiculousness as the trendy, progressive notion that abortion is somehow empowering to women, despite the fact that most babies killed that way are girls. It doesn't make any sense, but it panders to the voting majority who can't be bothered to plan ahead or take responsibility for themselves. Or the notion that we can all live more prosperously via a shell game that rotates money from productive citizens to those who are neither. Even a child knows that you can't make more playdoh by rolling it thinner, but grown adults are willing to suspend critical thinking for the sake of a nice tax refund at the end of the year. We've even decided that the ideal society has a faux-egalitarian "flat" structure - why go to the effort of self-improvement if you're already in a 300-million way tie for first (last) place? - because we don't want to admit that we might need to take inspiration from role models ahead of us on the natural hierarchy. And to hold it all in place, our schooling system now more closely resembles re-education camps, explicitly designed to un-teach what children instinctively know or have been taught be non-state sanctioned sources of wisdom like parents or pastors.

All because Northern factory owners wanted to make the South safe for their soulless, but highly profitable*, interpretation of capitalism.

*It only seemed profitable because of huge tariffs imposed on the rest of the country, but they were still willing to kill true patriots over it.

Are you trolling? Am I missing something?

Phox

Quote from: navkat on July 05, 2012, 12:11:52 AM

Poe's law.

tyrannosaurus vex

The South really annoys me. The Confederacy, I mean. They attempt to justify terrible things (read: slavery) by couching it in an argument for arguably noble ideals (read: individual freedom; States' Rights), and by doing so rob those ideals of any shred of legitimacy it should be afforded.

For example, I firmly believe that it should be any State's right to secede from the Union and form a completely autonomous political entity. But since "secession" is still synonymous with the Civil War, anyone who advocates for that right in any concrete way is assumed to be an ignorant Southerner (or a sympathizer of such). I also think the Federal Government should more or less concern itself with international affairs and let the States decide how to run themselves. The problem is that States like Arizona will do crazy shit like prohibit certain shades of brown and States like Alabama would probably go back to Jim Crow.

So we're left with an imperfect system where the Federal Gov't has to babysit the internal affair of States because States are run by idiots. Washington, of course, is also run by idiots. But at least at the national level, the idiots tend to balance each other out instead of going off the deep end. In a perfect world, we wouldn't need the Federal Government to tell the States how to behave, and the South's argument would have won out without the shady reasons they made the argument. But then, in a perfect world we wouldn't need government at all.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

navkat

Quote from: Phox, Mistress of Many Names on July 05, 2012, 02:02:44 AM

Poe's law.

Jesus.

The Good Reverend Roger

Of course the south won. They were fighting for freedom, which is always the right thing to do - it was a moral victory.

Raw and stinking bullshit.  They were fighting for a static aristocracy..

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Phox, Mistress of Many Names on July 05, 2012, 02:02:44 AM

Poe's law.

Remains to be seen.

Lenin McCarthy

I saw a little kid with a Confederate flag umbrella the other day.  :? Stuff like that is popular among rednecks in Norway and Sweden, though I doubt they know there has ever been an American Civil War.

The Dark Monk

There was a controversy a couple months ago about a girl in Georgia wearing a prom dress made out of a Confederate flag.
Funny thing is, it turned all racial, angry cultural, and "You're suppressing my rights!" When it simply did not fit the prom dress/tuxedo category that was required at the prom XD
~MIAB~