News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "I've always, always regarded the Discordians as being people who chose to be Discordians because they can't be arsed to actually do any work to develop a relationship with a specific deity, they were too wishy-washy to choose just one path, and they just want to be a mishmash of everything and not have to work at learning about rituals or traditions or any such thing as that."

Main Menu

What is it with all the 20-something drones?

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, May 05, 2011, 08:32:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Jenkem and Tomahawks on May 05, 2011, 10:40:04 PM
I am horrified at being a drone, and I know I am one.  I really don't want to be.  I am TRYING not to be.

Failure is a bitch.

So stop failing.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Juana

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 05, 2011, 10:37:11 PM
Quote from: Hover Cat on May 05, 2011, 10:36:26 PM
I went through a drone-y phase. Got bored after about a year and got my shit together. I was in school the entire time, but did next to nothing and scraped Cs (mostly).

But I see it every-fucking-where amongst the students I work with. I have three right now who are the epitome of what you're talking about, Roger, and I want to punt them across the courtyard.

I wouldn't.  They make a horrible fucking noise, and then there's loads of paperwork.
I can deal with the noise. The paperwork, though...
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Khara on May 05, 2011, 09:55:20 PM
Love the OP!!!  We've discussed this before Roger.  You know my thinking on it.  

This generation of 18-25 (with exceptions so the first one to say oh what about whoever, STFU) year olds all seem to feel they are owed something.  

Now you and I, Roger, and Nigel and Charley too (and I am sure others so again.....) we were raised that hard work was the way to get somewhere.  As a result, we learned to work hard and play hard.  We never thought we deserved anything we hadn't earned, except for clean air.

That's been the hardest thing for me with my kids.  They see all of their friends with a new pair of shoes every few weeks, new clothes every time you turn around (as if washing something was a sin) and more electronics than MIT.  The problem is, their parents have no comprehension that they are ruining their kid's lives.  These kids do not realize that someone actually worked to earn the money for all this shit.  They ask and are given.  

My kids, well, I've been probably harder than I had to be, but I've done it for them.  If they want something that is necessary, then they have to work for it.  I pay well for extra chores being done.  I also pay for exceptional grades.  Now this isn't always cold hard cash.  Sometimes it is a bump in their shoe budget, or getting their clothes from Aeropostal (sp) or American Eagle as opposed to WalMart.  But the thing is, they understand the value of a dollar and they rarely ask for something they haven't made the effort to earn.

Their friends don't understand this concept at all.

High-fuckin'-five! Fuck, the biggest reason I fucking want fucking kids possibly ever is so I can be assured that SOMEONE in a mostly fucking useless generation is going to retain that fucking concept and hopefully pass it on, like fucking secret tribal lore or some shit.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

I had a conversation with some of my friends in HR recently and they have noted a stark change in young people being interviewed. One of them said it feels like they are the ones doing the interviewing... "You may expect me to work more than 40 hours?!?!?!" "I only get HOW MUCH vacation?"

In discussing it, there seemed to be a number of reasons... some of it, absolutely is a 'you owe us' kind of attitude. Some of it though (according to my friends) seems to be a post-American view. The 'protestant work ethic' has been turned on its head, these kids grew up watching their successful parents get shitcanned, their grandparents, after a lifetime of work are greeting people at WalMart.

There was an interesting lecture on RSA Animate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6XAPnuFjJc which talks about what motivates us.

The American system motivation was IF you work hard in school and go to college and work hard in a career, you'll have a nice retirement. The motivation works, if the subject believes that they will eventually/maybe get the reward (apparently dopamine levels actual shoot higher on a potential future reward than on a guaranteed immediate one...). However, who in their right mind would believe in the American system as motivation today?

Its as if the younger generation is asking, If everyone gets fucked, even those that work hard and apply themselves, why bother?

Of course, in the end, its still their life and their responsibility to do something with it. I think though that this might be a bit of the 'shrapnel' thats figuring into their decisions.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Triple Zero

Quote from: Nigel on May 05, 2011, 09:54:54 PM
I gotta agree, it's pathetic.

I'm tempted to make my kids move out and get jobs before I'll send 'em to college, just so they understand what the alternative to doing well in school is.

Sometimes I wish my parents had done that.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Suu

I worked my way through college. I had no choice, and STILL don't.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Speaking as a freshly-minted 30-year-old . . . YEAH!!!

I can build a house (the wood part, not the electric part), hunt, butcher, make leather, plow, plant, harvest, raise critters, grow a garden . . . basically build a farm and live on it quite happily with lots of work and minimal fuss.

I have two jobs and I'm looking for a third. I walk and crochet, etc.

I have skills that do not involve video games, facebook, and Twitter.

And kids I worked with when I was a dispatcher/security at a private university spent all their time pimping their dorm room with daddy's credit card and then breaking everything in the room on a drunk weekend and then bitching when daddy wouldn't buy them a new $3000 HD LCD TV wall-panel thing.

I don't get it and I don't want to get it.

And stuff.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

East Coast Hustle

Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

maphdet

I think the issue is that Both parents now a days Have to work to make ends meet. So you have two people who work 40 hrs a week. Add driving to and from school, then hw, then daily household keepup, etc. However, that being said-I am Sure there Are parents out there who work full time and have to keep up with everything but still manage to teach their children well.  Hmmm....maybe that is the key- teach your children well. (sorry bout the hippie lyrics but I think it holds true).

We have lost the time to spend quality, teaching time with our kids. Maybe.
I hope it's not people just not giving a fuck. Really. I hope not.
I wish I was in Tijuana
Eating barbequed iguana-

Phox

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on May 05, 2011, 11:13:16 PM
Quote from: Khara on May 05, 2011, 09:55:20 PM
Love the OP!!!  We've discussed this before Roger.  You know my thinking on it.  

This generation of 18-25 (with exceptions so the first one to say oh what about whoever, STFU) year olds all seem to feel they are owed something.  

Now you and I, Roger, and Nigel and Charley too (and I am sure others so again.....) we were raised that hard work was the way to get somewhere.  As a result, we learned to work hard and play hard.  We never thought we deserved anything we hadn't earned, except for clean air.

That's been the hardest thing for me with my kids.  They see all of their friends with a new pair of shoes every few weeks, new clothes every time you turn around (as if washing something was a sin) and more electronics than MIT.  The problem is, their parents have no comprehension that they are ruining their kid's lives.  These kids do not realize that someone actually worked to earn the money for all this shit.  They ask and are given.  

My kids, well, I've been probably harder than I had to be, but I've done it for them.  If they want something that is necessary, then they have to work for it.  I pay well for extra chores being done.  I also pay for exceptional grades.  Now this isn't always cold hard cash.  Sometimes it is a bump in their shoe budget, or getting their clothes from Aeropostal (sp) or American Eagle as opposed to WalMart.  But the thing is, they understand the value of a dollar and they rarely ask for something they haven't made the effort to earn.

Their friends don't understand this concept at all.

High-fuckin'-five! Fuck, the biggest reason I fucking want fucking kids possibly ever is so I can be assured that SOMEONE in a mostly fucking useless generation is going to retain that fucking concept and hopefully pass it on, like fucking secret tribal lore or some shit.

This is really important! People don't realize.

I attended a lecture a month or so ago, about childhood brain development. The lecturer expressed real sorrow at the fact that most kids just aren't raised right, and we end up with a world populated with neurotic, insecure, self-centered, dysfunctional adults.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Quote from: Nigel on May 06, 2011, 01:40:55 AM

I attended a lecture a month or so ago, about childhood brain development. The lecturer expressed real sorrow at the fact that most kids just aren't raised right, and we end up with a world populated with neurotic, insecure, self-centered, dysfunctional adults.

Yeah. That last bit pretty much applies to me. I left home at 18 and have been deprogramming myself ever since.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Prince Glittersnatch III

Quote from: Nigel on May 06, 2011, 01:40:55 AM

What were the specifics on how kids werent raised right?
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506 <---worst human being to ever live.

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Other%20Pagan%20Mumbo-Jumbo/discordianism.htm <----Learn the truth behind Discordianism

Quote from: Aleister Growly on September 04, 2010, 04:08:37 AM
Glittersnatch would be a rather unfortunate condition, if a halfway decent troll name.

Quote from: GIGGLES on June 16, 2011, 10:24:05 PM
AORTAL SEX MADES MY DICK HARD AS FUCK!

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

I don't know Roger, I stopped hanging out with the lazy gamer slobs after about 7th grade and never looked back.

I have to deal with them less and less at school since drones generally drop out before they get to upper division courses. Man, if you had asked about them a few years ago I would've blown a gasket. I had to go to school with them, had to listen to their diarrhea of the mouth at work, and then, at the end of the day I had to go live with them at student housing.

I don't have a job now, but have been able to get by via selling off my valuables and mooching off my parents here and there. I'm working my nards off at school and keep filling out job applications but I still feel like a schlep because I have no real income. Yeah, it's nice that my parents can help me out, but that's no replacement for the inimitable Slack that comes with earning your keep.

My brain talks to me when I look at the mirror, "Dude, you're 27 and still dependent on mommy and daddy?" And I shake my head in disgust. At least I can say it hasn't always been like this.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: ☄ · · · N E T · · · ☄ on May 06, 2011, 04:20:10 AM
I don't know Roger, I stopped hanging out with the lazy gamer slobs after about 7th grade and never looked back.

I have to deal with them less and less at school since drones generally drop out before they get to upper division courses. Man, if you had asked about them a few years ago I would've blown a gasket. I had to go to school with them, had to listen to their diarrhea of the mouth at work, and then, at the end of the day I had to go live with them at student housing.

I don't have a job now, but have been able to get by via selling off my valuables and mooching off my parents here and there. I'm working my nards off at school and keep filling out job applications but I still feel like a schlep because I have no real income. Yeah, it's nice that my parents can help me out, but that's no replacement for the inimitable Slack that comes with earning your keep.

My brain talks to me when I look at the mirror, "Dude, you're 27 and still dependent on mommy and daddy?" And I shake my head in disgust. At least I can say it hasn't always been like this.

Not drone behavior.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.