News:

To the "allies," if you aren't complicit in my crimes then you are complicit in theirs.

Main Menu

Twilight = Indirectly the success for Prop 8?

Started by Abbess Jade, July 13, 2010, 07:11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: RWHN on July 13, 2010, 07:50:54 PM
Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on July 13, 2010, 07:42:59 PM
RWHN- it's not tenuous. Do you think every wealthy Mormon of note DIDN'T give to that? I mean how else could they have afforded all those cool lightning bolts to make you fear the homosexual assault on our deeply Christian society?

Maybe she didn't give, but I think that it is more probable than not that she did. I have my own religious beliefs and you can be damn sure that if I had some money, I'd be pumping it into causes that I believe in, religion involved or not.

Well what is laid out in the OP is that Stephanie Meyer, being a good Mormon, donated her 10% to the church, the church poured money into Prop 8.  While I'm sure her 10% was considerable, my guess is the church would have had more than enough wealth otherwise to contribute to the Prop 8 campaign.  So as I say, there is a link-pin, but there are probably millions of linkpins with all of the other Mormons who contribute their tithes to the church. 

I guess I'm arguing it from the approval angle. If you buy the product you approve. This is why I won't buy Burzum albums, other than Det Som Engang Var (and that only to get a sampling of what it sounded like, since it was pre-me having internet access at home). Is there more to Varg Vikernes then being a rabid anti-Semite and white supremacist? No doubt. He's a human being, just as complex as the rest of us. But what do I know about him and where does that conflict with my ideals? Am I going to listen to his music in the future? Maybe, but I'm definitely going to not pay for it, and I'm certainly reluctant to even steal it. As far as Iron Maiden (my favorite band, if you have not been paying attention)? They have my continuing financial support. Bruce Dickinson has come out and said that he is personally offended by racism. That makes me not want to steal their music, but rather purchase and cherish it (unless it sucks, and then, oh well, they got my money. Make a better album next time).
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Requia ☣

Refusing to do business with ~12 million Mormons would be slightly more difficult than just avoiding the loudmouths.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

AFK

Don't mind me, I think I'm just being pedantic.  
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

LMNO

That's why I think we need to go the direct route.  If Mormon church uses tithing money to quash Prop 8, then those who tithe are contributing to quashing Prop 8.  The big question is, how does Meyer feel about that?  If you raise a big enough stink, she might actually respond.  Either she alienates the LGBTs, or she goes against the Church.

win/win.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Requia ☣ on July 13, 2010, 08:05:30 PM
Refusing to do business with ~12 million Mormons would be slightly more difficult than just avoiding the loudmouths.

Right, but she's a high profile Mormon.

I'm not going to stop doing business with small time Catholics just because I happen to be pro-choice. Like you said, that's impractical. However, if there is a larger corporation that advances agendas (with their money) that I don't agree with, I'm not going to give them my money, and I'm going to tell other people why. Not because they're Catholic, but because there is reasonable doubt as to where my money is going after the fact.

Also, the whole argument here is overshadowing the fact that the Twilight series sucks to begin with and you shouldn't spend your money on it anyway.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: LMNO on July 13, 2010, 08:09:10 PM
That's why I think we need to go the direct route.  If Mormon church uses tithing money to quash Prop 8, then those who tithe are contributing to quashing Prop 8.  The big question is, how does Meyer feel about that?  If you raise a big enough stink, she might actually respond.  Either she alienates the LGBTs, or she goes against the Church.

win/win.

I like it

AFK

How do Mormons feel about tales of vampires and werewolves in the first place?  Especially coming from one of their own?  Maybe Mormons don't get as hot and bothered about those types of things like a lot of Catholics and Protestants do. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Jenne

Quote from: RWHN on July 13, 2010, 08:21:02 PM
How do Mormons feel about tales of vampires and werewolves in the first place?  Especially coming from one of their own?  Maybe Mormons don't get as hot and bothered about those types of things like a lot of Catholics and Protestants do. 

I dunno, are the weres and vamps living "according to The PrincipleTM"?  /snicker

Nephew Twiddleton

Well, with Anne Rice's Vampire chronicles, Catholicism started to creep in, especially with Armand's apparent devoutness within the Church, even if it was at times Satanic. Maybe I'm reading into it wrong, since AR used to be an atheist, but that's what I got out of that. That and, of course, the dirty pederastic eroticism that made me put The Vampire Armand down forever, without finishing it.

Abbess Jade

Maybe they don't mind as much when it comes down to money for the church.

Kai

Quote from: Abbess Jade on July 13, 2010, 08:47:19 PM

Maybe they don't mind as much when it comes down to money for the church.

Ah, that old rub.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

The Johnny

Quote from: Abbess Jade on July 13, 2010, 07:11:38 PM
The point? J. K. Rowling is people friendly and a compassionate person (clearly evident by her support to include a homosexual in her work, as one of the most inspiring, wise, and developed characters in literature, Professor Dumbledore,,,

I only saw the first Harry Potter movie for the lulz but...

Dumbledore is gay??? Didnt see that one coming.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Joh'Nyx on July 13, 2010, 09:53:45 PM
The point? J. K. Rowling is people friendly and a compassionate person (clearly evident by her support to include a homosexual in her work, as one of the most inspiring, wise, and developed characters in literature, Professor Dumbledore,,,

Author confirmed. Apparently there is a sad lost love story implied in the whole thing. Which I think is cool, but why not come out and say it?

Jasper

Because it didn't have much to do with the story being told?

The Johnny

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on July 13, 2010, 10:01:02 PM
Quote from: Joh'Nyx on July 13, 2010, 09:53:45 PM

Author confirmed. Apparently there is a sad lost love story implied in the whole thing. Which I think is cool, but why not come out and say it?

Oh i see, that makes more sense.

I would have thought it to be very daring to make it explicit in a latency oriented best-seller type of book.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner