News:

So essentially, the enemy of my enemy is not my friend, he's just another moronic, entitled turd in the bucket.

Main Menu

Dirtbags, part 1

Started by Doktor Howl, May 18, 2015, 07:14:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richter

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 19, 2015, 03:02:47 AM
Quote from: Richter on May 19, 2015, 02:54:23 AM
Definitely gone funny in young college lady's head.  I think there's also a strain of getting spooked by encountering actual grit there.  It's one thing to see the idea of it on a screen, very different animal to meet in person.

Yeah, its been made clear to me that most young people these days have never seen a proper horrible beating.

I can see how it might leave an impression.  And I wasn't doing it to hero, I was doing it for reasons of my own.

Still.   :lol:

Reasons are irrelevant, it was a display of the horrible for something OTHER than sex/resource/prestige.  You showed her someone being more idea than human.  Kind of terrifying to those not prepped for it :lol:

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Richter on May 19, 2015, 03:07:54 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 19, 2015, 03:02:47 AM
Quote from: Richter on May 19, 2015, 02:54:23 AM
Definitely gone funny in young college lady's head.  I think there's also a strain of getting spooked by encountering actual grit there.  It's one thing to see the idea of it on a screen, very different animal to meet in person.

Yeah, its been made clear to me that most young people these days have never seen a proper horrible beating.

I can see how it might leave an impression.  And I wasn't doing it to hero, I was doing it for reasons of my own.

Still.   :lol:

Reasons are irrelevant, it was a display of the horrible for something OTHER than sex/resource/prestige.  You showed her someone being more idea than human.  Kind of terrifying to those not prepped for it :lol:

I'm like one of Neechee's supermen, spreading joy by dint of my existence.   :lulz:

I spelled his name wrong on purpose, because he was an arse biscuit.
Molon Lube

Richter

"NeeChees Biscuits - the Crunch of the UberMensch"
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

hooplala

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 18, 2015, 07:14:12 PM
Saturday Night™

No rest for the wicked, they say, so I was wandering around down in the legal district.  It's a good place for people-watching late at night on the weekends, as everyone from the crazies to your garden-variety drunken college student is out on the street, moving from bar to bar or vomiting or preaching the word.  Or, in some cases, a combination thereof.  My last trip down here led to the brutal beating of 2 male college students who were busy tormenting - and perhaps planning worse things - for a young female college student, over in the roofed-off sidewalk area in the construction zone.  I wasn't being a hero, I just wanted something to beat on that wouldn't cause moral qualms.  And those kids were Bad News.  I could feel it, right through the toes and heels of my engineer boots.

I have a stressful job, especially right now, and I believe exceptions to the moral compact should be made accordingly.

I have noticed that I have gone through a distinct shift in values over the last couple of years.  Some of this may be mere age, some may be association with the Science Gestapo.  I am unsure.  In any case, I was feeling like rolling in some filth...Though it's hard to do Tom Waits properly if you don't smoke anymore, and if there is a practical limit to the number of bourbon neats you can pour down your throat.  But being a dirtbag isn't just about cigs and alcohol, you know.  There's also drugs and poor behavior.

"Hey, Dok!"

I turned around, and saw a leggy young brunette lady smiling at me.  Slightly pocked face.  Very familiar...Just when it was becoming awkward, I remembered her.  A young student I knew from around the way.  One of those kids that are born at age 40 in terms of maturity, and permanently 22 in terms of having a good time, and who will spend their life from 18 to 60 looking like they're 30.

"Hey, Katie, how's things?  You graduate yet?"

"Years ago, old man.  Almost done with my doctorate, as a matter of fact."

I offered to buy her a drink so we could catch up, and she agreed.  We walked down to the Hotel Congress, past all the brand new actual clubs that I am too old for, and Katie wouldn't be seen dead in.  I rounded up a bourbon for myself, and a whiskey sour for Katie, and we went out back.  The weather had been threatening, so there wasn't the usual horrible hipster act/band, but hadn't actually started raining.  Perfect.

We sat down, and she started telling me about her graduate work, something concerning botany that I couldn't have understood stone cold sober.  I nodded and made agreeable noises when she seemed to want feedback.  It never fails to dismay me how far behind I've fallen in the sciences, really, though I'd always been hopeless in messy sciences involving life.

A woman screamed, very near by.  Everyone in the area froze up, looking around like dormice that have just heard a coyote.  The scream broke into smaller screams, and continued.

I looked toward the sound of the scream, and two tables away I saw a young lady screaming and pointing.  At me.

"OHGODHESTHEGUYHESTHEGUY..."  The young lady dashed out of the Hotel Congress enclosure via the wrought iron gate opposite from the main drag.  Her companion, a skinny guy with a ridiculous attempt at a beard, glared at me, looked after his fleeing date, glared a bit more, and then chased after her.

I knew that young lady.  She was in fact the young lady that had been bothered by the two male students a few weeks ago.

Katie was staring at me, so I told her the backstory, and expressed puzzlement as to why I terrified her.

"Men are dumb," she said, "You say she hid behind you, rather than running away?"

"Yeah, which was kinda silly on her part.  If I'd lost, she'd have still been in arm's reach of them."

"Yeah, but she stayed.  So her memory of the trauma probably wound up focusing on you.  She had felt that she might be raped.  Violence did in fact occur, and you did it.  Quite thoroughly, according to your description of events.  So you became the monster."

"That hardly seems fair."

"What's fair got to do with it?  In the front of her brain, she knows that you came between her and those goons.  In the back of her brain, you were the promised violence.  There's no logic to it, and for what it's worth, she probably doesn't hate you.  You're just the trigger now, the reminder to access those memories of being terrorized not once but twice."

"Story of my life, Katie.  I bring this on myself."

"Naw.  You're just a trouble magnet.  You're the kind of guy the world happens to."

"You ain't ever lying.  You should see what's happening at my job, these days."

She ordered two more drinks, and looked across the table at me.

To be continued.

I've even had weird associations like that without violence being a factor. Songs or people who just blend with a bad situation in my memories. I can understand both sides.

Except for the girl hiding behind you, I still don't get that.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Hoopla on May 19, 2015, 03:52:11 AM

Panic doesn't lend itself to good solutions, such as shucking the heels and running like your arse was on fire.

Or grabbing a brick and joining in, for that matter.
Molon Lube

hooplala

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 19, 2015, 03:57:14 AM

Panic doesn't lend itself to good solutions, such as shucking the heels and running like your arse was on fire.

Good point. That's why they call it panic, I guess. Rather than "reasoned thought".
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Hoopla on May 19, 2015, 03:58:29 AM

Good point. That's why they call it panic, I guess. Rather than "reasoned thought".

Well, yeah.  She was about 21 or 22, MAYBE a hundred pounds, and probably in the first real danger of her life.  She had a "this isn't happening look on her face", not "here we go again".

Sometimes, this is a matter of experience.  The more you deal with dangerous situations, the better you get at it.

It's a mark of success, in a way, that so many people in North America have zero experience in this manner.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 19, 2015, 04:02:44 AM
Quote from: Hoopla on May 19, 2015, 03:58:29 AM

Well, yeah.  She was about 21 or 22, MAYBE a hundred pounds, and probably in the first real danger of her life.  She had a "this isn't happening look on her face", not "here we go again".

Sometimes, this is a matter of experience.  The more you deal with dangerous situations, the better you get at it.

It's a mark of success, in a way, that so many people in North America have zero experience in this manner.

It really is.

Except that people are hardwired to struggle against something, so in the absence of any real conflict drive themselves insane tilting at windmills.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

EK WAFFLR

Holy shit. I wanna read moar.
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

LMNO

That didn't go as planned.  Sorry. 

I think my thought process at the time was, "Two apparent trouble magnets in the same place?  Good thing at least one of them has someone to go home to."  Or something.  My head has been phase shifting three meters outside my body lately.  Not it a good way.

Sorry that came off other than intended.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on May 19, 2015, 02:01:45 PM

I think my thought process at the time was, "Two apparent trouble magnets in the same place?  Good thing at least one of them has someone to go home to."  Or something.  My head has been phase shifting three meters outside my body lately.  Not it a good way.

No worries.  I was wondering where that had (seemingly) come from.

In any case, I have to go explain why I didn't actually fall asleep in a meeting (  :? :lulz: ), then I shall add more in about an hour.
Molon Lube

Junkenstein

Preamble. Meat demanded.

QuoteIn any case, I have to go explain why I didn't actually fall asleep in a meeting (  :? :lulz: ), then I shall add more in about an hour.

Bonus points if you pretend to fall asleep during this.

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Junkenstein on May 19, 2015, 04:46:01 PM
Preamble. Meat demanded.

QuoteIn any case, I have to go explain why I didn't actually fall asleep in a meeting (  :? :lulz: ), then I shall add more in about an hour.

Bonus points if you pretend to fall asleep during this.

I behaved badly, in another way.   :lulz:

Meat is on the way, once I calm down just a fucking bit.

Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

It will be up in 20-30 minutes.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 19, 2015, 02:49:57 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on May 19, 2015, 02:01:45 PM

No worries.  I was wondering where that had (seemingly) come from.

In any case, I have to go explain why I didn't actually fall asleep in a meeting (  :? :lulz: ), then I shall add more in about an hour.

What the fuck?  :lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."