News:

Doing everything exactly opposite from "The Mainstream" is the same thing as doing everything exactly like "The Mainstream."  You're still using What Everyone Else is Doing as your primary point of reference.

Main Menu

MIT creates camera that shoots 1 trillion fps and can see light in motion

Started by Juana, August 07, 2012, 12:07:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juana

"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

EK WAFFLR

This is so incredibly awesome, I have no words for it. No words at all.
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Anna Mae Bollocks

I sent the link to my photographer friend. Her husband moves so fast onstage, he tends to blur.  :lulz:
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Forsooth

this is awesome

First thing that pops into my mind is using this technique to find where the current flaws in laser ignition for nuclear fusion, but could be expensive due to the number of shots and fuel needed to get a good visible picture

Telarus

Wow, as a CG Lighting artist this is some seriously impressive shit. Thanks for sharing Garbo!
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Telarus

Sweet Eris's blood soaked pinky toes. Did you catch what he said at the end there?

It took about 5 turns in my head to re-phrase outside of the realm of femto-potographic packets of photons (jeez, can I juse call them wavicles already?). Ready for this? [Note: As a holy man, I am not resposible for seizures caused by considering this new information.]

Realy serves you (a photoreceptor) information asynchroniously to the order that the events/phenomena happen in space-time. This holds true at the micro and macro levels the most. At our daily scales, the ammount of information proccessed from second to second tends to blur these asychronicities out into a smooth narrative. Past our daily scales (the local light radius) information tends to be more randomly out of synch with the order of events which served to transmit that information.
Telarus, KSC,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Telarus on August 07, 2012, 06:10:03 AM
Sweet Eris's blood soaked pinky toes. Did you catch what he said at the end there?

It took about 5 turns in my head to re-phrase outside of the realm of femto-potographic packets of photons (jeez, can I juse call them wavicles already?). Ready for this? [Note: As a holy man, I am not resposible for seizures caused by considering this new information.]

Realy serves you (a photoreceptor) information asynchroniously to the order that the events/phenomena happen in space-time. This holds true at the micro and macro levels the most. At our daily scales, the ammount of information proccessed from second to second tends to blur these asychronicities out into a smooth narrative. Past our daily scales (the local light radius) informations tends to be more randomly out of synch with the order of events which served to transmit that information.

Yeah, no, I totally caught that and then my mind went OFUK! and I immediately stopped thinking about it. It needs to exist in my brain without analysis or evaluation until I have enough data to start making actual connections. BUT it may be relevant to some neurology studies I am only half-remembering.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Pæs

Anna Mae Bollocks

Realy serves you (a photoreceptor) information asynchroniously to the order that the events/phenomena happen in space-time. This holds true at the micro and macro levels the most. At our daily scales, the ammount of information proccessed from second to second tends to blur these asychronicities out into a smooth narrative. Past our daily scales (the local light radius) information tends to be more randomly out of synch with the order of events which served to transmit that information.

Laymen's terms, we experience/perceive things in a certain order but it's really not sequential???

The Johnny

<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Telarus

Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on August 07, 2012, 08:14:56 AM

Laymen's terms, we experience/perceive things in a certain order but it's really not sequential???

The order that we perceive information about our environment is not the order the events generating the information happened in. But small time shifts, and we get info packets at an astonishing rate of trillions of times a second.
Telarus, KSC,

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Telarus on August 07, 2012, 08:42:40 AM
Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on August 07, 2012, 08:14:56 AM

The order that we perceive information about our environment is not the order the events generating the information happened in. But small time shifts, and we get info packets at an astonishing rate of trillions of times a second.

Small time shifts makes it a little less boggling. Thanks.

Freeky

That is so, so cool.  I wish they hadn't "fixed" the last photo, where the light went away from the viewer, because I just think it was better when light doesn't do what you think it ought to, what with people living in macro and light, well, doesn't.

LMNO

Quote from: Freeky Queen of DERP on August 08, 2012, 07:18:05 PM
what with people living in macro and light, well, doesn't.

Well said! We'll make a particle physicist out of you yet, by god!