News:

PD.com: We occur at random among your children.

Main Menu

Started by Doktor Howl, April 10, 2012, 05:37:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cainad on April 11, 2012, 04:33:21 PM
Ahhh I forgot about that term. I'm not in a position to do it now, but I'd like to see that thread again. I have some ideas that I'd like to gel into an essay, but I'd also like to see what's already been written to help the ideas advance.

Probably ought to go get my windshield fixed first, though :lol:

http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php/topic,29003.0.html
Molon Lube

Cainad (dec.)

Thanks. I've got some time to kill and this is a hell of a lot better than "Bejeweled" on an iPhone.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cainad on April 11, 2012, 04:47:45 PM
Thanks. I've got some time to kill and this is a hell of a lot better than "Bejeweled" on an iPhone.

Well, at least I have that going for me.   :lulz:
Molon Lube

LMNO

Dok Howl: "Better than a free smartphone app."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on April 11, 2012, 04:52:01 PM
Dok Howl: "Better than a free smartphone app."

Mother will be so proud!
Molon Lube

Cainad (dec.)

:oops: Well if it makes you feel any better, it's also better than the Glamour magazines they have here... Wait, fuck :x I'm not very good at this.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cainad on April 11, 2012, 06:08:02 PM
:oops: Well if it makes you feel any better, it's also better than the Glamour magazines they have here... Wait, fuck :x I'm not very good at this.

Doktor Howl:  Now better than Tiger Beat!
Molon Lube

LMNO

Wait.  Better than Tiger Beat?

:cn:

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

LMNO

LMNO

It occurs to me I'm acting like Apple Talk in Horrorology.  Apologies for the threadjack.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on April 11, 2012, 06:15:30 PM
It occurs to me I'm acting like Apple Talk in Horrorology.  Apologies for the threadjack.

S'ok.  We're all equally guilty.

Let's just keep this as our dirty little secret, shall we?
Molon Lube

Anna Mae Bollocks

Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Danny Muffin

This is interesting. There are a lot of messages being sent to us that people are unable or unwilling to hear. But there are also messages being sent that people want hear.

Some coworkers were talking (loudly and near my desk) about how much they loved the show Storage Wars and I started thinking about why reality TV is so popular. Aside from the fact they are relatively cheap to produce and people have been trained to gobble them up, they must be sending a message that people want to hear.

That message is a simple one: you can apply a narrative to life. Reality can be dramatized. The more mundane and commonplace the lives depicted on these shows, the more we are encouraged to creative a narrative for our own lives. Sure it takes a bit of creative editing- snip little bits here and there, give more weight to this or that, re-order a few events and ta-da! You've created the story of your life.

The problem is that given how prone to self-delusion people are, the narrative they create for themselves rarely resembles the reality they live in.

LMNO

Danny, you may want to thread dive and check out a thread called "Cressing".  I forget who wrote the OP, but I think you might dig it.