News:

If you can't abuse it, it's not power.

Main Menu

I will be in London may 14-16 with my dad

Started by Reginald Ret, March 01, 2011, 10:16:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reginald Ret

And i could use:
Tips on what to see and do, we both would like to see musea 'n'stuff about darwin and SCIENCE! in general, we both enjoy a good beer and we both LOVE books(seriously, one good obscure secondhand bookstore and we will be the happiest little tourists ever), preferably scifi or science-related.
Walking directly and confidently into a liquorstore and buying the best whiskey for him would be the greatest thing ever(just remember i have a tight budget), I assume London has some fine whiskeys available. So ideas about that would be cool too.
Oh, and he is into sailing, so anything sailing related would be cool too.

I would love it if something could be done to confuse/surprise my father. I'm thinking some people showing up and greeting him by name and asking very specific questions about what he has going on in his life right now (he runs a headache clinic and is a face in local politics, if someone wants to do something like that: ask me for details and i'll do some research.)
Other cool ideas are ofcourse appreciated  :D

I will ofcourse be doing some research of my own but i'd appreciate any help.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Rumckle

The Natural History Museum is awesome (and free like most of the big museums), full of dinosaurs and other dead animals. The Science Museum is next door, and is also cool, when I went there was an exhibit on medical history, full of disturbing looking instruments, there was also a whole bunch of interactive stuff (in a different exhibit, they didn't let you use the medical instruments, unfortunately), but that was surrounded my heaps of little kids, which is frustrating. They are also right next to each other, which is useful.

Also the Tate Modern is free, and cool if you like modern art.

There are other free musuems that I didn't go to, The Tate and the VA, so I cant really vouch for them.

As for beer, most pubs have a few nice beers on tap and then a few average beers. The nice ones generally change from pub to pub. I can't remember many names at the moment, but Young's is pretty nice. Essentially anything with an old-fashioned, copper (?) tap is nice.

The changing of the guard is cool, but apparently at that time of year it is really busy, so it depends if you feel up to standing in a crowd for 2-3 hours.
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Reginald Ret

Natural History and Science Musea sound cool.
Tate not really our style, i think.

Copper-ish looking taps, gotcha.

I have no stomach for empty and wasteful rituals so I'll try to avoid the changing of the guards.

Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"