News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "In other words, Discordianism, like postmodernism, means never having to say your sorry."

Main Menu

The Kaousuu Weather Network: Hurricane Earl

Started by Suu, August 30, 2010, 02:10:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suu

...I guess I should go grocery shopping...just in case.  :kingmeh:

Projected landfall is Friday if he stays on the inside of the path and doesn't extrapolate into the Gulf. If they think I'm going into work that day, they're fucking nuts. Even in tropical storm force winds.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

East Coast Hustle

Unfortunately, you get no sympathy from me. That fucker's gonna cockslap my house on STT with category 3 winds tomorrow. And if it doesn't catch the gulfstream and jag back to the east and New England, it'll make a hell of a mess in southern Virginia and probably cost me a few days pay since we don't get paid if we can't go out.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

East Coast Hustle

just checked the newest NOAA forecast and it's now projected to head far enough east that it will probably make landfall in Nova Scotia. So you and I should be OK, but my house and family are still gonna get whacked.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Suu

Quote from: Exit City Hustle on August 30, 2010, 02:16:47 AM
just checked the newest NOAA forecast and it's now projected to head far enough east that it will probably make landfall in Nova Scotia. So you and I should be OK, but my house and family are still gonna get whacked.

I don't trust forecast models until the storm is within 12 hours of landfall, and even then, well...I've seen them do incredible shit that blows the curve on regular occasions.

In every model though, Rhode Island is within the 5 day cone.

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on August 30, 2010, 02:19:09 AM
So much for my weekend on the Cape  :sad:

Yeah no. Even if we get off with the usual warning shot with no landfall, Friday and Saturday are going to be nasty. I'll know for sure when close the hurricane barrier.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Suu

And there's an Invest with 70% chance of development right on Earl's ass too.  :kingmeh:

East Coast Hustle

as long as the gulfstream doesn't move, you'll be OK. there is, of course, no guarantee that the gulfstream won't move.

Adios

Jasper

Woah, I hope everything turns out alright.

...Just as an aside though, I find it repulsive to name anything that mindless and destructive "Earl".

What gives?  Why hasn't hurricane Baal hit yet? 

Meteorologists are pants.

Cain

Meteorologists probably saw "Baal the Storm God" and decided Earl had more threatening connotations.

Iason Ouabache

I'm actually disappointed that the hurricane named after my wife didn't make landfall. I had so  many jokes stocked up too.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Jasper

Quote from: Cain on August 30, 2010, 08:06:08 AM
Meteorologists probably saw "Baal the Storm God" and decided Earl had more threatening connotations.

Wow, weird.  Okay, total honesty:  I picked "Baal" completely at random, and have never heard of that movie.

:confusedsmile:

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on August 30, 2010, 08:06:51 AM
I'm actually disappointed that the hurricane named after my wife didn't make landfall. I had so  many jokes stocked up too.

If it makes you feel any better, it has made the return trip from the bahamas to VA fairly hellish. Our captain even got seasick, and he's pretty used to shit like this.

Suu

Quote from: Exit City Hustle on August 30, 2010, 12:15:48 PM
Quote from: Iason Ouabache on August 30, 2010, 08:06:51 AM

If it makes you feel any better, it has made the return trip from the bahamas to VA fairly hellish. Our captain even got seasick, and he's pretty used to shit like this.

That's 2 hurricanes worth of waves, right there.

Some friends of ours wanted us to go to the beach yesterday to play in the surf from Danielle, which isn't going to be anything like what Earl is going to bring, but I can't BEGIN to talk about how bad of an idea it is anytime people think it's fun to swim in hurricane swells, because if you get caught in one of THOSE rips, you're done.

When I said, "HELL NO." They called me a pussy. Fine. I'd rather be called a pussy than risk drowning because of an obviously stupid choice. People die every year up here when we get storms that skip off of the Cape because they want to go in the surf, you'd think somehow they'd learn.

Suu

...With that said. I gotta see if I can get my Friday shift covered if we don't have a direct hit (not that we'll be busy anyway with the potential of at least tropical storm conditions) I gotta go to the Point and document this while partaking in the sacrament of doughboys.