News:

Living proof that any damn fool can make things more complex

Main Menu

Beet agnolotti with cippolini onion sauce and mint.

Started by DECI4, February 17, 2012, 02:34:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DECI4

This was one of our courses on Valentines day. I really enjoyed this dish and thought I'd share.

First roast some beets. You can drizzle them skin on with a bit of oil and wrap them in foil and toss them in the oven until tender, or you can put them in a pan with a bit of water, cover with foil and bake them that way. You won't need many. Just use your judgement on how much filling you will need to fill the amount of pasta for however many people.

Once they are cooled, toss them in the food processor until uniformly ground. For the best results wrap them in cheesecloth and hang them overnight over a bowl to catch the excess liquid. Place your beet pulp into a mixing bowl and season aggressively to taste with salt and pepper. Add a bunch of shredded parmesan to taste, and some fresh mint chiffonade. Add some bread crumbs, a little at a time while mixing to thicken up the mixture. Try to go for the consistency of ricotta cheese. Once you have it where you want it and tasting good, add some egg. You won't need much, for say, 2 cups of filling a third of a beaten egg should be plenty. Put your filling aside.

Make your pasta dough. This recipe will make way more pasta than you need, so make some fettuccine or something.

6 large egg yolks
1 large egg
Tblsp milk
tsp Olive oil
Decent pinch of salt
1 3/4 cups AP flour (00 is better but more difficult to find.)

Make a well in the center of your flour, mix all your wet ingredients together and pour into the well. Using a fork or spoon, whisk from the center slowly incorporating flour from the edges until the dough begins to come together, it will be kind of stick and crumbly. Begin kneading your dough until it comes into a ball and is smooth and elastic. 4-5 minutes should be fine. Wrap up your dough and let it rest for 20-30 mins. While your dough is resting make your sauce.

Peel a bunch of Cippolini onions halve or quarter them and toss them in a pan and cover them with chicken stock. Simmer slowly until the onions are tender. You don't really want any color or carmelization. Strain the onions and puree them in a blender. Add a bit of water to thin it to a sauce like consistency and season to taste with salt.

Now make your pasta. Cut mabye a third of the pasta off of your ball and flatten it out a bit with a rolling pin. Run it through your pasta machine a few times until you get a nice even square and then start raising the number until you get to 7 and you have a nice long sheet. Lay it down on your work area going from right to left and brush the  lower half of the dough with egg wash. Get a piping bag and fill it with your beet mixture. Pipe a tube of filling at the very bottom of your sheet all the way across from right to left or vice versa. Now from the bottom roll your entire sheet upwards over the filling twice. Now using your two index fingers pinch downwards on the tube from right to left in one inch increments all the way across your sheet. Using a knife or a pasta cutter cut vertically through the indentations made by your fingers. You will now have several little sealed pouches of filling. Trim the excess dough from the tops to the desired length, you can re roll the scraps later if you want. You should be left with something that looks like this:

Those aren't the beet agnolotti, just a pic I pulled off the internet.

To finish, cook the pasta heat the sauce add some more fresh mint chiffonade and toss your cooked pasta in it. Top with some more parm and dig in.

Even if you don't make the beet filling, learn to make agnolotti, they are by far the easiest filled pasta to make. Here is a youtube video to help you visualize my instructions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ceKG_0_xdQ&feature=related
:hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer:
My-my-my-my music hits me so hard makes me say oh my Lord
Thank you for blessing me with a mind to rhyme and two hyped feet
It feels good when you know you're down
A superdope homeboy from the Oaktown
And I'm known as such
And this is a beat uh u can't touch

I told you homeboy u can't touch this
Yeah that's how we're livin' and you know u can't touch this
Look in my eyes man u can't touch this
You know let me bust the funky lyrics u can't touch this Fresh new kicks and pants
You got it like that now you know you wanna dance
So move out of your seat
And get a fly girl and catch this beat
While it's rollin' hold on pump a little bit
And let me know it's going on like that like that
Cold on a mission so pull on back
Let 'em know that you're too much

Yo I told you u can't touch this
Why you standing there man u can't touch this

http://i.imgur.com/EiZZK.jpg

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

DECI4

And I'm known as such

You know let me bust the funky lyrics u can't touch this Fresh new kicks and pants
So move out of your seat

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

So how many accounts do you have there? I know of three.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

DECI4

Quote from: Nigel on February 17, 2012, 03:58:50 AM

Look I'm not sure what you are talking about but lets try to stay on topic.
And I'm known as such

So move out of your seat

AFK

I think if you took the beets out of this dish it would be an unbeetable winnar!
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

East Coast Hustle

HERE IS A RECIPE: TAKE SOMETHING VERY SWEET, PUT AN INCREDIBLY SWEET SAUCE OVER IT, AND GARNISH IT WITH MINT. I HAVE NO CONCEPT OF BALANCED FLAVOR PROFILES BUT MY USE OF ITALIAN WORDS SURE MAKES ME IMPRESSED WITH MYSELF!

Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on February 17, 2012, 02:41:48 PM
HERE IS A RECIPE: TAKE SOMETHING VERY SWEET, PUT AN INCREDIBLY SWEET SAUCE OVER IT, AND GARNISH IT WITH MINT. I HAVE NO CONCEPT OF BALANCED FLAVOR PROFILES BUT MY USE OF ITALIAN WORDS SURE MAKES ME IMPRESSED WITH MYSELF!
I like sweet with my sweets :P

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: DECI4 on February 17, 2012, 04:03:20 AM
Quote from: Nigel on February 17, 2012, 03:58:50 AM

Look I'm not sure what you are talking about but lets try to stay on topic.

Don't worry, it's not like I'd post your PI. I'm not like your little buddies.

Freeky

RITE?  WHY ISN'T ANYONE ELSE IMPRESSED WITH MY GENIUS?

DECI4

I was wondering what was taking you so long. Thanks for being so predictable.
And I'm known as such

So move out of your seat

The Rev

Cuddlefish

:bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny:                                                                       :bsex: :bacon:  :bsex:
A fisher of men, or a manner of fish?

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Charley Brown on February 17, 2012, 07:09:02 PM
Some days I miss AKK and Dead Kennedy.

Yeah, at least DK put some effort into it. I'd say he was the most masterful troll I've ever encountered but he wilted like a week-old flower when I encountered him face to face. A true master would have found a way to troll me IRL.

AKK, of course, wasn't trolling. He was actually like that.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

AFK

Yep, he's pretentious asshole all the way down. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.