News:

PD.Com: Pretention in a can.

Main Menu

Books I Wish I Had Known About...

Started by Brotep, September 03, 2010, 03:47:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brotep

Books I Wish I Had Known About A Few Years Ago But Not So Long Ago That I Would Have Annoyingly Regurgitated Their Content:

• The Outsider by Colin Wilson.

I picked up this book for $1.25 at the local library, after the name on the spine caught my attention. It turned out to be exactly what I hope to find, but never do--amidst the random sea of text in libraries and book stores, the titles are on the whole more inspiring and imaginative than their content.

The Outsider is one who "sees too deep and too much", who cannot accept the noxious, meager worldview we are spoon-fed from infancy, who does not need religion to be religious. This is not an endorsement of the obnoxious, co-opted "spiritual but not religious" crap that came later, because practicing at self-delusion is anathema to the Outsider's mission. The essence of religion is the affirmation of life (which can be reached from an initially life-denying trajectory).

Because the concept of the Outsider and the goals of the Outsider are somewhat nebulous, Wilson's exposition draws heavily upon examples of real-life outsiders and characters from fiction. Dostoevsky, Nietzsche, Sartre, Van Gogh, and Hesse are among those who fill the pages of the book. The result is a survey of pertinent philosophy and literature that whets the appetite for reading.

Thurnez Isa

The Joyous Adventures of Snakey Boo by some British Dude

A fabulous adventure where Snakey Boo and his friends Snow Rabbit, Hogarth, Komodo, Asp and Tiger take their steam boat Foley up to the Milkey Way, where they meet Jin to listen to a story about a unicorn and a rose. I was afraid it would be too scary but thankfully some poetry is added to lighten the mood. Stuff like, "When children go out to play with their mums. They walk on their legs and not their tums."
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Brotep

Jesus Christ, Thorny, show some respect.

Donald Bisset is a great man.

Kai

Angel Tech - Antero Ali

Desert Solitare - Edward Abbey

Works of Homer
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish