News:

PD.com: Worse than that time when I conjured a handkerchief from that deaf kid's ear.

Main Menu

So you fucking think fry cooks don't deserve a higher minimum wage?

Started by Don Coyote, June 16, 2015, 05:52:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reginald Ret

high minimum wage is very good for the economy, just compare the economies of countries with a high minimum wage with countries with a low or no minimum wage.
Quote from: Junkenstein on June 17, 2015, 02:32:12 AM

Fuck the minimum wage, throw around the concept of "Maximum wage" and things get interesting.
We actually have that here, no-one is supposed to earn more than the prime minister.
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=nl&ie=UTF-8&u=https%3A%2F%2Fnl.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FBalkenendenorm&edit-text=&act=url
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Rev Thwack

The weird thing to me is how this shift towards "profits at all costs" happened. My father was a loyal Republican, but he actually felt and acted like he had a responsibility to his employees... That their happiness and health helped translate into productivity.

He was right. His employees were as loyal as could be and often went way beyond what was expected for him, as he did the same for them. He never had a problem with his people stealing from him (they had plenty of opportunity to), they always kept customers happy, and the only time he had people quit was when they had life situations that required it.

Somehow in the years of the yuppies, businesses in this country lost the mindset that the business itself, management and employee, was one big family that took care of each other. When management starts to treat employees as just another replaceable component, employees also lose any sense of responsibility towards the company.
My balls itch...

Don Coyote

Well, I think I'm going to post it as a reply to her shitty meme. I just don't understand how my high school friends who have all struggled financially are so opposed to higher minimum wages where as I, who had a fairly comfortable, financially speaking, middle class life on Active duty, am all about giving the poor more fucking money. Probably because I actually grew up on welfare.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Reginald Ret on June 17, 2015, 07:30:00 AM
high minimum wage is very good for the economy, just compare the economies of countries with a high minimum wage with countries with a low or no minimum wage.

Fuck the minimum wage, throw around the concept of "Maximum wage" and things get interesting.
We actually have that here, no-one is supposed to earn more than the prime minister.
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=nl&ie=UTF-8&u=https%3A%2F%2Fnl.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FBalkenendenorm&edit-text=&act=url

It's pretty much just simple fucking economics. I am astounded by how many people cannot seem to see that.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on June 17, 2015, 03:06:57 PM

It's pretty much just simple fucking economics. I am astounded by how many people cannot seem to see that.
Your 'simple economics' leaves no room for punishing the poor! How will they feed their punishment fetish without that?!
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Reginald Ret on June 17, 2015, 06:30:52 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on June 17, 2015, 03:06:57 PM

Your 'simple economics' leaves no room for punishing the poor! How will they feed their punishment fetish without that?!

:lulz: :lulz: :horrormirth: how short-sighted of me!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Johnny

<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Reginald Ret

Quote from: The Johnny on June 18, 2015, 11:19:40 PM

But increasing the minimum wage will create inflation.

Oh, well, in that case lets continue fucking over innocent people.
Some abstract number might grow and that is much worse than making a large section of society miserable.

The Johnny

I meant that that was one of the main arguments ive heard against minimum wage... since more people will have money, and buy more things with it, then money would be worth less because more demand for items. Or something, it never seemed that minimum wage has such a great impact on things of such great scale.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Reginald Ret

Quote from: The Johnny on June 19, 2015, 08:04:31 AM

I meant that that was one of the main arguments ive heard against minimum wage... since more people will have money, and buy more things with it, then money would be worth less because more demand for items. Or something, it never seemed that minimum wage has such a great impact on things of such great scale.
I know you weren't serious, i just hate such stupid arguments and I have to respond.
Now that you have explained it, their position is even dumber.
Even economists understand it doesn't work that way, and I have absolutely no respect for economists.
For fuck's sake, raising wages does not create money. printing money creates money.
Also, more demand means your economy is growing. This is generally considered a good thing.

The worst thing that could happen as consequence of raising the minimum wage would be that some exploitative companies go belly-up.
Luckily, companies failing is a sign of a healthy economy, just like dying individuals is a sign of a healthy ecology.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

As soon as they raise the minumum wage the corporations will raise prices and/or lay people off in order to recoup the increased personnel expenses (unless it passes in conjunction with other laws specifically forbidding the corporations from doing that), quickly returning the overall levels of poverty and human misery back to where they were before. It is acceptable as a temporary stopgap fix but will likely be useless for effecting lasting change.

Also, when did flipping burgers at McDonalds become a career???
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on June 21, 2015, 03:56:36 AM
As soon as they raise the minumum wage the corporations will raise prices and/or lay people off in order to recoup the increased personnel expenses (unless it passes in conjunction with other laws specifically forbidding the corporations from doing that), quickly returning the overall levels of poverty and human misery back to where they were before. It is acceptable as a temporary stopgap fix but will likely be useless for effecting lasting change.

Also, when did flipping burgers at McDonalds become a career???

Can you point to a single example of that happening anywhere in the world?
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

It's kind of amazing how no matter how many times a bad idea is refuted, a few hours later someone promoting it will pop back up with the same argument. Again.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Employee wages is only one part contributing to a company's overhead.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Look at Papa John's, which threatened to cut employee hours and raise prices if the ACA was passed... yet economists projected that a mere 5 cent per pizza cost increase would completely cover the fiscal impact for the company. In most cases, price increases for products would be a minimal percentage, because wages are not the primary cost-setting factor.