News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "In other words, Discordianism, like postmodernism, means never having to say your sorry."

Main Menu

Well, fuck.

Started by LMNO, January 15, 2008, 08:01:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Apparently, Multiply.com doesn't let you download other people's tracks anymore, it's just streaming.

Looks like i'm gonna have to find another free MP3 hosting site.

Any Ideas?

Jasper

Youtube is easy.  Just hold the album cover as your video.  I get a lot of music the same way.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: LMNO on January 15, 2008, 08:01:26 PM
Apparently, Multiply.com doesn't let you download other people's tracks anymore, it's just streaming.

Looks like i'm gonna have to find another free MP3 hosting site.

Any Ideas?

yeah, let's introduce Multiply to HIMEOBS.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Cain

http://playble.com/ might be ready, sometime in the near future, and allow the same basic service as Multiply (actually better, if you read it).  However, I don't know exactly when the site will be launched.

Cain

You could also use http://www.jamendo.com/en/ which is a kopyleft torrent site.

However, some ISPs automatically block torrents (LIKE MY OWN) and make downloading them a reason for cutting people off their intertube access.  Still, it could be a good place to promote things, like POEEcasts or your own music, especially while waiting for playable.com to get up and running.

AFK

http://last.fm  though it seems to be quite particular about specifics of the audio files.  For example when I tried to load some of my stuff on there it was saying something about the frequency not being right.  But you are more adept at these things so you probably won't have any issues with it. 

And that Multiply thing is weak.  I need to find a new site too. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Cain

I was going to put my POEEcasts up there (when I got around to making some), but now I think I will no longer bother.  Last.fm sounds like a possibility, but since the people behind Pirate Bay are behind Playable.com, I wanna see what they come up with too.

LMNO

Can you download tracks on last.fm?  I can't spread my amazing music through streaming alone.

AFK

http://musicmanager.last.fm/help/faq/

From reading the FAQ it appears you have the option to make your tracks available for free download.  Or you can have them available as 30 second clips.  But it's pretty cool in that if your tracks are tagged in certain ways, they can show up in users recommendations.  I'm always getting new recommendations based on the tags I use.  And it looks like there are options to be more direct with marketing your music as well. 

LMNO

I have to download a client, don't I?

I don't think I can do that at work.

AFK

Ehh, I don't know.  I haven't got that far yet. 

The Littlest Ubermensch

[witticism/philosophical insight/nifty quote to prove my intelligence to the forum]

LISTEN TO MY SHOW THURSDAY 5-7 EST

THEN GO TO MY MYSPACE

LMNO

Was ist das "filefront"?

Cain

IIRC, its like mihd, only you sign up with an account and get permament hosting.  For anything, not just music.  The downside being, its highly unlikely anyone will just browse and happen to see your music there.

What I think its really needed is a music download site with social networking aspects (a la Myspace, only with downloads) to increase the chance of random people finding your stuff or being referred to you.

AFK

So I just uploaded a track to last.fm  From what I can tell there is no client to download to the computer.  You just upload the tracks and manage them from the website.  There isn't much you can do to promote yourself without investing money, other than word of mouth and giving people the urls.  Which is basically the same idea as Multiply.  One thing you can do is to add the names of similar artists.  So, if you say you sound like The Pixies, then people who are listening to the Pixies might get your music as a recommendation.  Also, if people listen to your tracks and "tag" them, then people who like to listen to music with those same "tags" might get your music recommended to them. 

The caveats, the music file HAS to be at 128kbps and at a sample rate of 44.1, otherwise they won't load.