News:

It is our goal to harrass and harangue you ever further toward our own incoherent brand of horse-laugh radicalism.

Main Menu

Italy to ban plastic bags

Started by Adios, January 01, 2011, 05:25:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eater of Clowns

Well, we can just have the adopt-a-highway program allow for some companies to allow texting/cell phone usage while driving and others not to.

That way, driving texters don't have to pull over in the cold, cold winter and those who don't do it can just refuse to use those roads.

You know, just like smoking/non-smoking bars.  So what if anybody's health is at risk - there's convenience at risk, people.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Disco Pickle

so if doing <insert activity> in public has any potential WHAT SO EVER of causing harm to anyone other than yourself..

make it illegal.

sounds reasonable to me.

"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on January 04, 2011, 08:56:28 PM
so if doing <insert activity> in public has any potential WHAT SO EVER of causing harm to anyone other than yourself..

make it illegal.

sounds reasonable to me.

Conversely, things that are proven to cause harm to anyone other than yourself should be legalized.

If you're going to spout bullshit, DP, can you at least think of something where the logical alternative isn't significantly more retarded?

EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Jasper

so if doing < unnecessary thing that can wait> in public has <a probability factor of 20 or more> of <getting a stranger killed>

make it illegal.

sounds reasonable to me.

Yep.

Phox

make it illegal.

sounds reasonable to me.

Hey, let's just ban being out in public at all. That will save us the trouble of thinking up all those potentially harmful things.

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on January 04, 2011, 08:58:43 PM

make it illegal.

sounds reasonable to me.

Conversely, things that are proven to cause harm to anyone other than yourself should be legalized.

If you're going to spout bullshit, DP, can you at least think of something where the logical alternative isn't significantly more retarded?

eh, I'm in a bit of a mood today.  Shit stirring and watching the clock seem to be all I want to do at the moment.

I'm for reasonable restriction but outright bans with no room for alternatives irk me.

"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Doktor Phox on January 04, 2011, 09:01:42 PM

make it illegal.

sounds reasonable to me.

Hey, let's just ban being out in public at all. That will save us the trouble of thinking up all those potentially harmful things.

Right, and since murder hurts other people but not yourself there shouldn't be any protections in place to stop you from doing it.

Well, nice discussion you all had there at one point, before it had to get derailed with hyberbole and dishonesty.

Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on January 04, 2011, 09:02:20 PM

make it illegal.

sounds reasonable to me.

eh, I'm in a bit of a mood today.  Shit stirring and watching the clock seem to be all I want to do at the moment.

I'm for reasonable restriction but outright bans with no room for alternatives irk me.

Nobody is calling for smoking to be banned.  Why does that even keep being brought into the argument.  The other side is very clearly arguing that it should regulated in places where it could negatively affect the health of others.

EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

AFK

make it illegal.

sounds reasonable to me.

Yep, and we're going to start with inane posts.  TO THE WALL WITH YOU SIR!!!
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Triple Zero on January 04, 2011, 08:48:41 PM
Quote from: Nigel on January 04, 2011, 08:13:02 PM
It's not like anyone who smokes always h as to stand 50 feet from the door outside. They only have to do that when they decide they want to have a smoke.

Wait, you have to stand 50 feet away from the entrance of a pub if you want to go outside and smoke in the USA?

That's retarded.

I mean, second hand smoke hazard when you're in a pub with lots of smokers, fine, but accidentally catching a whiff of smoke when you leave the bar is not going to harm anyone. That's really just needless fuckery. Probably thought up by people that merely dislike the smell. Which I think is only a valid argument in a restaurant, but you aren't allowed to smoke there anyway. Sure, they shouldn't clog up the entrance, but that's common sense, and if that happens, you make rules against that (a very simple rule like: Don't Clog Up The Entrance).

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on January 04, 2011, 08:38:27 PM
Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on January 04, 2011, 08:30:29 PM
we should ban using your cellphone in your car while driving too.  That shit's dangerous to the rest of us who don't do it.

That actually is happening already in some states.  Most other states regulate it under distracted driving laws.  And I actually think that's a pretty good idea.  That shit can kill people just as dead as driving under the influence.  

Already illegal over here. Except the problem is, they're doing it wrong. Turns out driving is not more dangerous cause you hold a cell in one hand, but because you're being distracted by the conversation, and unlike somebody talking to you from a passenger's seat, the person on the other end of the phone can't tell if you need to pay attention to a busy intersection. Meaning that, yes, calling hands-free is almost just as dangerous.

... though texting while driving is worse ;-) oh Cram already said this. Except it's crazy they needed research for that. I mean it stands to reason you're being stupidly dangerous if you have to take your eyes off the road. Fuck, I even bump into things and people if I text while walking.

Ten feet in Portland. 50 feet is clearly hyperbole and exaggeration.

Cell phone use while driving is illegal in Oregon. Rightfully so.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on January 04, 2011, 08:52:18 PM
Well, we can just have the adopt-a-highway program allow for some companies to allow texting/cell phone usage while driving and others not to.

That way, driving texters don't have to pull over in the cold, cold winter and those who don't do it can just refuse to use those roads.

You know, just like smoking/non-smoking bars.  So what if anybody's health is at risk - there's convenience at risk, people.

:lulz: THIS IS AMERICA!!!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Phox

Quote from: Nigel on January 04, 2011, 09:08:25 PM
Quote from: Triple Zero on January 04, 2011, 08:48:41 PM
Quote from: Nigel on January 04, 2011, 08:13:02 PM
It's not like anyone who smokes always h as to stand 50 feet from the door outside. They only have to do that when they decide they want to have a smoke.

Wait, you have to stand 50 feet away from the entrance of a pub if you want to go outside and smoke in the USA?

That's retarded.

I mean, second hand smoke hazard when you're in a pub with lots of smokers, fine, but accidentally catching a whiff of smoke when you leave the bar is not going to harm anyone. That's really just needless fuckery. Probably thought up by people that merely dislike the smell. Which I think is only a valid argument in a restaurant, but you aren't allowed to smoke there anyway. Sure, they shouldn't clog up the entrance, but that's common sense, and if that happens, you make rules against that (a very simple rule like: Don't Clog Up The Entrance).

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on January 04, 2011, 08:38:27 PM
Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on January 04, 2011, 08:30:29 PM
we should ban using your cellphone in your car while driving too.  That shit's dangerous to the rest of us who don't do it.

That actually is happening already in some states.  Most other states regulate it under distracted driving laws.  And I actually think that's a pretty good idea.  That shit can kill people just as dead as driving under the influence.  

Already illegal over here. Except the problem is, they're doing it wrong. Turns out driving is not more dangerous cause you hold a cell in one hand, but because you're being distracted by the conversation, and unlike somebody talking to you from a passenger's seat, the person on the other end of the phone can't tell if you need to pay attention to a busy intersection. Meaning that, yes, calling hands-free is almost just as dangerous.

... though texting while driving is worse ;-) oh Cram already said this. Except it's crazy they needed research for that. I mean it stands to reason you're being stupidly dangerous if you have to take your eyes off the road. Fuck, I even bump into things and people if I text while walking.

Ten feet in Portland. 50 feet is clearly hyperbole and exaggeration.

Cell phone use while driving is illegal in Oregon. Rightfully so.

I believe it's 15 feet here. Still not 50, but....

Fujikoma

What about farting in public? I'm not a big fan of inhaling microscopic shit particles.
Quote from: Nigel on January 04, 2011, 09:09:38 PM

HEY! No smoking in here!

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on January 04, 2011, 09:05:08 PM
Quote from: Doktor Phox on January 04, 2011, 09:01:42 PM

make it illegal.

sounds reasonable to me.

Right, and since murder hurts other people but not yourself there shouldn't be any protections in place to stop you from doing it.

Well, nice discussion you all had there at one point, before it had to get derailed with hyberbole and dishonesty.

Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on January 04, 2011, 09:02:20 PM

make it illegal.

sounds reasonable to me.

eh, I'm in a bit of a mood today.  Shit stirring and watching the clock seem to be all I want to do at the moment.

Nobody is calling for smoking to be banned.  Why does that even keep being brought into the argument.  The other side is very clearly arguing that it should regulated in places where it could negatively affect the health of others.

apologies for mucking up the thread.  I'm going to go smoke a cigarette.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

:lulz: The funny thing is that I smoke and I think the rest of you smokers are wah-wah babypants.

Jasper

Quote from: Fujikoma on January 04, 2011, 09:10:40 PM
What about farting in public? I'm not a big fan of inhaling microscopic shit particles.
Quote from: Nigel on January 04, 2011, 09:09:38 PM

HEY! No smoking in here!

:tgrr:  WHAT