News:

Several times a month, I will be in a store aisle reaching for something and feel a hand going up the inside of my thigh. When I turn around to find myself alone with a woman, and ask her if she would prefer me to hold still so she can get a better feel for the situation, oftentimes she will act "shocked" claiming nothing had happened, it must be somebody else...

Main Menu

The Finite Universe

Started by Phox, December 27, 2011, 07:37:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phox

The ever shrinking finite universe...

It's all well and good to think about what might possibly be out there, beyond the horizon. But I'm telling you kid, it's nothing. Asia, Europe, Australia... don't exist. Not for any practical purpose anyway. Nothing that goes on there affects here. Same thing with South and Central America. No way ay of that has any effect here. Mexico and Canada? Well, ya know, they are pretty close... but no. I don't eve know what the president of Canada is called, much less who he or she might be. Therefore, Canada has no effect.

And you know, it's all well and good to talk about California and New York and so on. But really, are the issues they are dealing at al pertinent here? I mean, what with the budget crisis,the issue with politicians, the quagmire that is Chicagoland, and all of that jazz... I really don't think so.

And then again, we've got problems here. Forget Chicago and Springfield. Live in the here and now, kid. That's my motto.

Hey kid, do me a favor slide that last brick right into this slot so I can go back to pretending that you don't exist either.

Kai

It's interesting, this shrinking phenomenon. On one hand, it was growing, or so we perceive, and our central /place/ in the universe was shrinking, from the Earth at the center of the Heavens to the Pale Blue Dot seen in a sunbeam, an "insignificant speck".

The American perception of the world has become one large crescendo-diminuendo. a piling up until the mass of everything is on our backs and then a bottleneck until we're alone in the universe, which includes everything outside USAdia. And it only took a century.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

The Good Reverend Roger

All I know is that if the universe is any bigger than 4/3 * (Pi)r3, where r = the speed of light times the age of the universe, I'm calling troll.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Freeky

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 28, 2011, 12:07:40 AM
All I know is that if the universe is any bigger than 4/3 * (Pi)r3, where r = the speed of light times the age of the universe, I'm calling troll.

If that's the case, then we'd probably never know, since we'd never see the light from the back of the universe because it can't keep up with time.

Freeky,
Can't philosophy, but will SPACE/TIME your pance in small increments along the floor until you've catapulted right into her. 

Metaphorically speaking.