News:

What the fuck is a homonym?  It's something that sounds gay.

Main Menu

Is Terry Pratchett a Discordian?

Started by WyrdKitten, August 07, 2009, 10:12:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rumckle

Quote from: Cainad on August 10, 2009, 04:20:38 PM
Quote from: Rumwolf on August 08, 2009, 04:20:53 AM
Quote from: WyrdKitten on August 08, 2009, 03:10:23 AM
we do believe there's no excuse for putting pineapple on pizza.

QFT

That would be because there's no need for an excuse to put pineapple on pizza. It is an inherently good thing.

You better stay the fuck away from my pizza!  :argh!:
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Rumwolf on August 11, 2009, 02:00:40 AM
Quote from: Cainad on August 10, 2009, 04:20:38 PM
Quote from: Rumwolf on August 08, 2009, 04:20:53 AM
Quote from: WyrdKitten on August 08, 2009, 03:10:23 AM
we do believe there's no excuse for putting pineapple on pizza.

QFT

That would be because there's no need for an excuse to put pineapple on pizza. It is an inherently good thing.

You better stay the fuck away from my pizza!  :argh!:

There was a time when I was like you. Then I was shown the way, the light, the truth.

I can only pray that one day you shall walk the same path.

:hippie:

Rumckle

It's not trolling, it's just satire.

WyrdKitten

Quote from: Cainad on August 11, 2009, 02:02:41 AM
There was a time when I was like you. Then I was shown the way, the light, the truth.

I can only pray that one day you shall walk the same path.

:hippie:

Peace loving pineapple consuming.. HIPPIE!!!  :zombie: Burn all heretics  :argh!:

~cough~

Thank you for the thread  :mrgreen: It's awesomeness.

~Heads off to simultaneously create the Pratchettean Church of Discordia and relax in the pool on the roof~

Triple Zero

You can't have pineapple on a pizza without olives marinated in kahlua. Otherwise it would just be wrong[/].
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

LMNO

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: WyrdKitten on August 11, 2009, 08:01:28 AM

~Heads off to simultaneously create the Pratchettean Church of Discordia and relax in the pool on the roof~

I recommend maintaining vigilance in or near the pool on the roof.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Payne

Far better to do that kind of shit in the bunker in the basement.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: Cain on August 07, 2009, 10:17:17 AM
While I've never heard Pratchett call himself a Discordian, the idea that he is not aware of it, after reading "Thief of Time" or playing "Discworld Noir" (which actually has a religion that is so close to Discordianism that it is scary) is untenable, to say the least.  If I ever get the chance to meet him in person, it is a question I intend to ask.

Yeah, I think that The Thief of Time was almost definitely intended to touch on Discordian themes; If that was a coincidence I'll eat my hat.

The Thief of Time actually touches on both "classic" Discordianism AND on the Church of the SubGenius, what with the time-controlling powers and the yetis and all...
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Cain

True, I kind of overlooked the latter, but yes, there is only so much coincidence one can take before you have to declare there is indeed a pattern there.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Cain on August 10, 2009, 08:01:31 AM
OK, just checked my copy of Discworld noir.  It didn't work, because its not made to work with Vista. 

However, I did check a game guide and it reminded me of a few things.  In particular, how does this strike you?  A conspiracy theorist named Malaclypse, who can be found at the Temple of Small Gods and worships the Ephebian (ie Greek) goddess of Misunderstandings, Errata, who, according to the plot of the game:

"was the cause of the Tsortean Wars; not, as most people believe, Elenor. Understandably not the most liked goddess, Errata wasn't invited to many weddings, one of which was Peloria and Theta's. She was not pleased, and so devised a plan for revenge. She had Neoldian forge a golden falchion with "For the Strongest" engraved on it. This caused a fight between almost 80 different war gods. Luckily Neoldian had also engraved "Batteries Not Included" on the falchion, which fortunately for Errata, caused an argument between Patina, who thought the sword was a subtly observed metaphor for the hopelessness of existence, and Cephut, who thought it was a big knife. In the end it became so heated that Astoria bribed Rhome of Tsort to steal and hide the falchion just to shut her sister up. In return, Astoria gave Elenor to Rhome and the resulting extramarital confusion blew up into the Tsortean Wars."

Yeah, Pratchett has never heard of Discordianism.

He lives best who's fain to hide Eris beneath a veneer of the sane.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson