News:

PD.com: The most patriotic board in America - jointly run by an Australian, an Irishman, a filthy Dutchman, a Canadian and some guy from the West Indies.

Main Menu

Wisdom from Robert Heinlein (Part 1)

Started by SMFabal, June 01, 2003, 09:14:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SMFabal

I've seen alot of people talking about how our (the USA) government has been acting lately. I just thought I'd bring out some of Robert Heinlein's thoughts on how Government works; I use for the most part Heinlein's definitive work, Stranger in a Strange Land

Quote from: Stranger in a Strange Land, in responce to allegations that politicians seek only to keep themselves in officeA government is a living organism. Like every living thing, its prime characteristic is the instinct to survive. You hit it, it fights back.

Quote from: Stranger in a Strange Land, in response that Americans are not reacting rationally to terrorist treatsHe did not expect reasonable conduct from human beings; most people were candidates for protective restraint.

Quote from: Stranger in a Strange Land, in respose to any argument for elimnating goverment altogetherMan, a social animal, could not avoid government, any more than an individual could escape bondage to his bowels

Quote from: Stranger in a Strange Land in resopnce to talk of 'smashing the system'Democracy is a poor system; the only thing that can be said for it is that it's eight times as good as any other method. Its worst fault is that its leaders reflect their constituents - a low level, but what do you expect?

Quote from: Stranger in a Strange Land in response to the American Governments attempts to 'free' countries under repressive regimesI used to think I served humanity ... and I pleasured in the thought. Then I discovered that humanity does not want to be served; on the contrary, it resents any attempt to serve it. Now I do what pleases [myself].

Quote from: Stranger in a Strange Land in response to attempt to make certain activities and substances illegalI see he beauty of Mike's attempt to devise an ideal ethic and applaud his recognition that such must start by junking the present sexual code and starting fresh. Most philosophers haven't the courage for this; they swallow the basics of the present code - monogamy, family pattern, continence, body taboos, conventional restrictions on intercourse, and so forth - then fiddle with details ... even such piffle as discussing whether the female breast is an obscene sight!
But mostly they debate how we can be made to obey this code - ignoring the evidence that most tragedies the see around them are rooted in the code itself rather than in failure to abide by it.

Before anyone says so, I know I have no original thoughts in my head; I also know I am acting as a slave to the system (so there, Rev. Roger!  :P )

Quote from: Matrix ReloadedIt was discovered that 99% of people would choose to be slaves, even if the choice was only given subconciously
SMFabal, High Pope of CoCK, PSP, CW, KSC, FP, GH, MORBJ

Q: How serious are you about this whole "Discordian" thing?
A: A blue fish Tuesday!
Q: No really, it this, like, deeply philosphical, or just a huge joke?
A: Yes.

zenji

Quote from: SMFabalI've seen alot of people talking about how our (the USA) government has been acting lately. I just thought I'd bring out some of Robert Heinlein's thoughts on how Government works; I use for the most part Heinlein's definitive work, Stranger in a Strange Land

Quote from: Stranger in a Strange Land, in responce to allegations that politicians seek only to keep themselves in officeA government is a living organism. Like every living thing, its prime characteristic is the instinct to survive. You hit it, it fights back.

Quote from: Stranger in a Strange Land, in response that Americans are not reacting rationally to terrorist treatsHe did not expect reasonable conduct from human beings; most people were candidates for protective restraint.

Quote from: Stranger in a Strange Land, in respose to any argument for elimnating goverment altogetherMan, a social animal, could not avoid government, any more than an individual could escape bondage to his bowels

Quote from: Stranger in a Strange Land in resopnce to talk of 'smashing the system'Democracy is a poor system; the only thing that can be said for it is that it's eight times as good as any other method. Its worst fault is that its leaders reflect their constituents - a low level, but what do you expect?

Quote from: Stranger in a Strange Land in response to the American Governments attempts to 'free' countries under repressive regimesI used to think I served humanity ... and I pleasured in the thought. Then I discovered that humanity does not want to be served; on the contrary, it resents any attempt to serve it. Now I do what pleases [myself].

Quote from: Stranger in a Strange Land in response to attempt to make certain activities and substances illegalI see he beauty of Mike's attempt to devise an ideal ethic and applaud his recognition that such must start by junking the present sexual code and starting fresh. Most philosophers haven't the courage for this; they swallow the basics of the present code - monogamy, family pattern, continence, body taboos, conventional restrictions on intercourse, and so forth - then fiddle with details ... even such piffle as discussing whether the female breast is an obscene sight!
But mostly they debate how we can be made to obey this code - ignoring the evidence that most tragedies the see around them are rooted in the code itself rather than in failure to abide by it.

Before anyone says so, I know I have no original thoughts in my head; I also know I am acting as a slave to the system (so there, Rev. Roger!  :P )

Quote from: Matrix ReloadedIt was discovered that 99% of people would choose to be slaves, even if the choice was only given subconciously

No.............that was 99.99999% recurring AMERICAN'S choose to be slaves! :shock:
Yong Maeng Jong Jin

Spoon E. Gee

no it was... 72% of all statistics are false..
damn my sig is still out of date....

Penumbral

A resent statistic concludes that 100% of people are willing to take surveys.

Spoon E. Gee

the ones those fat ladys in the mall always try to push on you like drugs?

*sneaks up behind you and surrounds you*  "WOULD YOU LIKE TO TAKE A SURVEY?"

Spoon E. Gee

did you notice how Penumbral's avatar looks like mine? just mine is upside down...

Penumbral

:shock:  Wow dude thats really weird. OK now stop your freaking me out.

Bella

Almost like a  reflection in a lake, isn't it? Which is the original and which is the reflection, tho?
just like in a dream
you'll open your mouth to scream
and you won't make a sound

you can't believe your eyes
you can't believe your ears
you can't believe your friends
you can't believe you're here

Spoon E. Gee

*starts singing*
one of these things..
is not like the other....
one of these things...
doesnt belong..

Slarti

i'm currently reading Stranger in a Strange Land: it's so amazingly awesome.

Slarti

wowser fucking apaluco gold. that was the best book i've ever read

Guido Finucci

Quote from: Slarti las Papas Fritaswowser fucking apaluco gold

Indeed. Coramandel Gold - now that will fuck you up.

Tallgeese

Quote from: Spoon E. Geeno it was... 72% of all statistics are false..

Only 65% of people know that.
"What?"
-Richard M. Nixon

Irreverend Hugh, KSC

Quote from: Tallgeese
Quote from: Spoon E. Geeno it was... 72% of all statistics are false..

Only 65% of people know that.

And only 46% agree.
"Time for the tin-foil hats, girls and boys!"

Malaria test subject #777

I just read the top post in this thread.
It's so timely that I'm bumping it back up.
A lab accident in the sperm bank made me what I am today.