News:

PD.com: Ten minutes of your life that you can never get back.

Main Menu

The mysterious case of the millionaire on the side of the road

Started by Cain, February 03, 2013, 05:08:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

This is an odd one:

QuoteTHE enigma of the Irish property developer who claimed he was held captive for eight months and tortured deepened this weekend as more details emerged about his bizarre ordeal.

Kevin Michael McGeever was found wandering by the side of a Leitrim road last Tuesday, confused, emaciated, barefoot, with long fingernails and a lengthy beard. It soon transpired he was a wealthy property developer who sold apartments in Dubai and who was reported missing more than eight months ago.

QuoteIt appears the only thing Mr McGeever has been able to tell them with certainty was that he was taken on May 27 last year from the mansion he built in Craughwell, Co Galway.

After that, all he can remember is that he was held in a dark room but could not say whether he was tied up, and that his captors came and went with food, such as sandwiches, and water. As for his release on to a rural road in Leitrim, he told gardai that he "found" himself on the roadside, but has so far been unable to tell them how he got there.

His muscle wastage and some slight injuries indicate he was held captive for a period, but gardai are still trying to figure out who may have kidnapped him and where he was held. Apart from a plastic sheet wrapped around him as he wandered on the rural road, his only possession was a brand new mobile phone which had no call history.

Dubai is, of course, a notoriously dodgy part of the world to do business in.

EK WAFFLR

"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Nephew Twiddleton

Whoa... Weird. Do you think his memory gaps are a legit consequence of his ordeal or maybe he was up to some dodginess himself that he doesnt want to admit to? Maybe a bit of both?
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Nephew Twiddleton

I wouldnt have even thought of that but eight months can accomplish a lot of something.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

I_Kicked_Kennedy

Not the most reputable of rags, but IBT said this guy had ripped off some wealthy people and was wanted by INTERPOL

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/433871/20130211/irish-property-tycoon-kevin-mcgeever-mystery-kiddnaped.htm

A quick Bingle brings up a lot of corroboration, dating back to 2005/6.

My guess, he tried to hide out for a while and someone he owed money to found him.
If I had a million dollars, I'd put it all in a sensible mutual fund.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I wonder how much hassle it is to keep someone captive for 8 months?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

I_Kicked_Kennedy

If I had a million dollars, I'd put it all in a sensible mutual fund.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel