News:

It's like that horrible screech you get when the microphone is positioned too close to a speaker, only with cops.

Main Menu

Suu's Soap Making Adventure.

Started by Suu, February 26, 2014, 03:21:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suu

So we do these little medieval craft swap thingies in my local group twice a year. So far I've made some clothing (duh,) drink syrups, and painted an icon in return for a lovely handcrafted wooden box with my coat of arms on it, some Roman-style jewelry, and a fantastic Byzantine hat. This round appears to be trickier, since it has a theme, spring or camping. I picked camping, but the recipient of my gift picked spring, and she likes the 16th Century and "useful things." Well, nothing screams more medieval and useful in the spring than stuff you need for your annual bath.  :lulz:

(Trufax: They bathed more than once a year. More like once a month in the winter and once a week or more in the summer.)

Contrary to popular belief, soap was known to exist for a while, and although the Romans were aware of the cleansing properties of using oils to deter dirt from the skin and pores using a strigel, they washed wool with lye, good old fashioned sodium hydroxide, a natural byproduct of wood ash and rainwater, which is dozens times more caustic than baking soda. The lye reacted with the lanolin on the wool, and it got bubbly and low and behold, removed dirt. So prior to the 11th Century, some soaps, primarily used as laundry detergent not people detergent, because they didn't quite have the mix right and people were getting caustic burns...was made with tallow (lard) and lye. Sometime during the 11th/12th Century, the Spanish got smart and tried olive oil. This resulted in a gentler soap, and is still made today in the form of Castile soap, which I am about to try my hand at making. I'm also going to see if I can collect enough bacon grease to make soap that way also.

What I am about to achieve is 100% pure fucking SCIENCE. My measurements have to be pretty sharp. But first, I need something to scent the soap: Essential oil. I cannot legally distill my own oils, so I'm infusing olive oil with lavender for 12 days, replacing the flowers every 3 days per a document I found from the 1500s. I'm also going to make another batch to be used as a perfume, which I'm going to blend with water and grain alcohol.

So far, the fun stuff has been ordered.  :lulz: I should be able to make the soap next week. I found an Excel worksheet that does all the scary math for me, so all I need now are the ingredients and good food scale.

Here's my recipe:

32oz of Olive Oil
4oz of Lye
10oz of Water

I'm making a 2lb batch to start with, if in the event I fuck it up, it's not a real heavy loss of materials and I can start over. I'll make sure the husbandthing is home to take pictures of this, because I have a feeling it's going to be hysterical.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I've made soap a couple times. Works better with rendered beef fat, IME.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Suu

I definitely want to try it with rendered fats as well.  I figured the Castile soap would be good for the gift, but since I had to buy a decent amount of lye, I'll be doing my own experimentation.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Reginald Ret

Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Suu

The lye came in today! Now I just need the mold and it's soap time!

Red

Quote from: The Suu on March 03, 2014, 06:40:57 PM
The lye came in today! Now I just need the mold and it's soap time!
Have fun! By the way, I have heard cooking lard works wonders for soap making. It might be worth trying out.

Suu

Everything else is in today. I've decided on the documentation presented by a friend of mine to go with hot process instead of cold. This is the colonial method (only now we use a crockpot instead of a cast iron kettle over fire outside...which I could do if it wasn't 25 degrees.) which means it could also be conjecturally medieval, since it produces a useable soap in hours instead of weeks of curing. Which, considering the nature of consumables, is key. Cold process just doesn't seem feasible for a regular business model.

I will be going to get my olive oil and pH testing strips today and making the soap tomorrow. Today I'm going to be making the lip balm and brewing a batch of mead. New mead recipes will be posted in the Brewer's Cadre thread.

Suu

Lip balm has happened!

This is the base recipe I followed:

1/2 oz beeswax (approx. 3 tsp)
    1 oz coconut oil (approx. 6 tsp)
    1/4 oz cocoa butter (approx. 1 1/2 tsp)
    1 1/2 tsp lanolin
    3/4 tsp vitamin E
    1 tsp liquid honey
    3/4 tsp peppermint essential oil

In a small pot over low heat melt beeswax, coconut oil, cocoa butter, lanolin and vitamin E. Use a longish stick or small whisk to stir (a chopstick is perfect).
    Remove from heat and add honey and peppermint essential oil. Whisk well and try to distribute oil throughout the mixture - this is tricky. When you make it you'll see what I mean, there are little oil pockets that are hard to stir in.
    Pour quickly into tins or jars. Stirring mixture as you do so the oil doesn't separate.  Let cool on counter till hard.

I think I underestimated the cocoa butter the first time around, and it was too...goopy and oily. So I just remelted it, and added more  cocoa butter and beeswax. It's cooling on my counter, but this is what it looked like after the first batch was poured:

I did use some of the first batch as a hand moisturizer to see how it did, and it was quite nice. We'll see how the remelt works once this batch hardens, and it already looks MUCH harder than my first try.

Richter

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

It's hard to get the proportions just right... I usually eyeball it and some batches come out harder, some softer. I save the hard ones for summer use usually.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Salty

The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Suu

Quote from: Nigel on March 07, 2014, 12:14:58 AM
It's hard to get the proportions just right... I usually eyeball it and some batches come out harder, some softer. I save the hard ones for summer use usually.

Yeah, it's still way too greasy. Urgh. I wonder if I should skip the coconut oil.

I may have to scratch this batch and try again. It's not like it takes that much stuff to make it anyway.

Suu

Third time's a charm.

I reduced the coconut oil to 2 teaspoons and got a more solid product. It still has the honey and the mint, though the mint is very light and only giving me a tiny bit of a coolness. I primarily taste the cocoa butter, but instead of the grease that you get when you use cocoa butter alone on your lips the beeswax and lanolin made it more creamy and dense, so it's really sticking well. The next go around I'll use more mint and maybe a packet of stevia to sweeten it up, but for now, I have 9 jars of this stuff to work through. For me, that's 9 weeks. I have a lip balm problem, hence why I'm starting to make my own.

The previous batch proved to make a serious business hand salve, so I melted it down and put it in another jar with lavender flowers I had soaking in oil for fragrance. My hands feel divine!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Lanolin is a good addition, it increases the viscosity. I should think about adding lanolin to mine.