News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "I've always, always regarded the Discordians as being people who chose to be Discordians because they can't be arsed to actually do any work to develop a relationship with a specific deity, they were too wishy-washy to choose just one path, and they just want to be a mishmash of everything and not have to work at learning about rituals or traditions or any such thing as that."

Main Menu

What is this section about (n00bs read this!)

Started by Cain, January 25, 2007, 09:39:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saint Wolfsong

I prefer the light and airy and more than faintly absurd.  Saturnian aneristic structure makes me sneeze.  And break out in hives; and when the bees leave the hives, everyone around me becomes mildly annoyed.  Luckily, there's rarely anyone around me.

navkat

Quote from: Triple Zero on October 31, 2011, 08:24:05 PM
Quote from: anthonyony on October 30, 2011, 10:05:59 PM
BTW, 000, really? "...there's NO escape from the BIP..."? Are you in danger of being mentally imprisoned by thy own prison break metaphor?  Maybe it's time for a new optometrist.  thy old one might be sneaking pink dye into thy lenses.  (KIDDING! Sheesh...)

It's kinda in the definition. The BIP walls are sort of nested, whenever you break out of one set of walls, you find yourself enclosed in another.

Even Buddhists.

But it's not a bad or negative thing, it just defines life, the life worth living, as the continuing act of breaking your walls.

It's another way of saying that, upon "attaining enlightenment" (whatever that exactly means), you can't sit down and say "Ok cool, I'm enlightened. ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED 8)", cause it doesn't work that way.

Yet another way of saying it is "Freedom is a verb".

Get it? Even though there's no (ultimate) escape, a fulfilling life consists of a series of attempts and breakouts and taking down walls, but you're never going to get them all. Not even the Buddhists, they got their own traps.

Some of us, of course, are weary of breaking walls and prefer, instead to spend time decorating our cages with found objects and glitter and amuse ourselves by throwing glowsticks and candy through the bars at passers by.

I sometimes laugh at the silly people, breaking walls in the ajoining cages.

Sir Bearington

Just explain to me simply about what this thread is about.

LMNO

Quote from: Trollbear on July 25, 2012, 04:01:13 PM

This thread is about what this section is about.  N00bs should read this.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

It's about highways, Trollbear, highways and bridges and Old Weird Ben and what happened up at Blowjob Circle, the late night thump-thump of sixteen wheelers rolling over a bump in the road, it's about copper salvage and dry creekbeds and that yurt in the hills outside of Sisters, about teenage miscreants and holes in the ground and THAT SMELL, about reaching into the deepest, darkest part of yourself and lighting a birthday candle.

Welcome home.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Quote from: PROFOUNDLY RETARDED CHARLIE MANSON on July 25, 2012, 04:21:11 PM

It's about highways, Trollbear, highways and bridges and Old Weird Ben and what happened up at Blowjob Circle, the late night thump-thump of sixteen wheelers rolling over a bump in the road, it's about copper salvage and dry creekbeds and that yurt in the hills outside of Sisters, about teenage miscreants and holes in the ground and THAT SMELL, about reaching into the deepest, darkest part of yourself and lighting a birthday candle.

Welcome home.

Now I want to use that as the introduction to every subforum here.

Sir Bearington

Welcome home.

If this is a thread for babbling nonsense then i think i this may be place i may never escape from.

The Good Reverend Roger

Welcome home.

I love this place.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

AFK

Quote from: Sir Bearington on July 25, 2012, 04:01:13 PM

1st page, 2nd post by this charming fellow:  There are other describatory posts on that first page, you know, if you click on them. 

Quote from: Gen. Disregard on January 25, 2007, 09:53:41 PM
Alright, I'm going to approach this from an organizational perspective and leave the philosophy to LMNO and LHX as they are much more adept at describing those things than I am.

The Black Iron Prison was/is an effort to revisit Discordia in written form.  The general consensus, if it can be called that, was that while the original Principia Discordia holds important messages and philosophies, we wondered if some of the humor and language might be dated and lost on a younger generation of Discordians.  Also, we are all egotistical blowhards who like to see our thoughts in print.   :-D

So, we discussed ideas, memes, philosophies, etc., then we all started writing.  The first result was The Black Iron Prison: Discordia Revisited.  Click here to download it and read it if you haven't already.  Plans were made while this first pamphlet was being put together to produce more pamphlets, we even had titles like "Lollercaust" which would have been a more "humorous" effort with more modern humor infused into the writings.  Of course, we all have lives, jobs, etc. so things did stall a bit.  And then came the pd.com crash...

...so during the downtime a new message board was created where we could continue to discuss more ideas, philosophies, memes, definitions, deconstructions, so on and so forth.  When pd.com came back up for good, and was under new management, the effort was moved back here.  (of course the Black Iron Prison Forum crash kind of turned that into a necessity).

And so that is where we are today.  That is the logistics of it.  Again, LMNO and LHX can fill in the philosophical details and other things I'm sure I missed.  Hope this is of some benefit.  I encourage n00bs, lurkers, etc. to download the pamphlet and read it.  Share it with their friends and family.  And then, join the fray!
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

AFK

Yeah, I know, that link is borked but you should still be able to download the BIP in some form or version at www.blackironprison.com

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Chaser

Well.. that made about as much sense to me as the muzza subculture does to Dok.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Chaser on September 06, 2012, 02:31:11 PM
Well.. that made about as much sense to me as the muzza subculture does to Dok.

Nobody understands this shit.  Not even us.  If we DID understand it, we could explain it, and if we could explain it, the world would be a better place.

We wouldn't have to tell you that subcultures are for the most part a bad thing, for example.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Chaser

As Tony Soprano said, life is just a series of distractions until we die. I picked my poison, we gym, rave at festivals, have ridiculous haircuts and meet girls. I'm young and can get away with this shit.

Give me 10 years and I'll be a reformed dad like you, Dok.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Chaser on September 06, 2012, 03:12:08 PM
As Tony Soprano said, life is just a series of distractions until we die. I picked my poison, we gym, rave at festivals, have ridiculous haircuts and meet girls. I'm young and can get away with this shit.

Then one day you find yourself doing it at age 40, with all the girls staring at you in disgust.  I've seen it happen.

Quote from: Chaser on September 06, 2012, 03:12:08 PM
Give me 10 years and I'll be a reformed dad like you, Dok.

Try 20 years, and a lot of substance abuse.