News:

Endorsement: "I could go so far as to say they simply use Discordianism as a mechanism for causing havoc, and an excuse for mischief."

Main Menu

OPEN BAR: It's actually about ethics in fictional bars

Started by EK WAFFLR, August 10, 2015, 03:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Quote from: xXRon_Paul_42016Xxx(weed) on October 30, 2015, 01:37:24 AM
Quote from: Cain on October 29, 2015, 11:59:18 PM
Quote from: xXRon_Paul_42016Xxx(weed) on October 29, 2015, 06:55:33 PM
Gotta love Salon.com pushing for those progressive tolerant values.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CSZ-S2DWwAAWsKO.png

Also worth mentioning, that time Gawker referred to the sexual abuse of a 7yo child as "a sexual relationship".

The independent too.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/not-all-paedophiles-are-bad-people-we-need-to-have-a-sense-of-proportion-a6704201.html

QuoteIn my studies of the Paedophile Information Exchange in the 1980s, many members admitted sexual feelings for children which they had been able to contain or turn to social good. Some gravitated toward occupations such as schoolteacher or social worker, where they could enjoy the company of children without plotting abuse. This fitted with personality profiles indicating that they were gentle, rational and not disposed to harm anybody.

Not mentioned in this article is that the PIE group has ties to a famously gentle, rational and harmless man named Jimmy Savile. Who also gravitated towards jobs where he could enjoy the company of children.

Urgh.

I mean, I get it, the distinction between those who abuse and those who struggle with the feelings but never act on them, and I do feel pretty sorry for the latter, when they are genuinely struggling against their paraphilia (which pedophilia is.  It's not a sexual identity, something else these kind of articles tend to worryingly unclear on).  But we shouldn't be celebrating people who admit those kind of feelings for children then seeking out positions of authority over children, much in the same way we wouldn't seek to praise an alcoholic for getting a job as a bartender.

thewake

There is an online movement/community of pedophiles who seek support in not acting on their urges.

edit: hxxp://www.virped.org/
"It is the dull man who is always sure, and the sure man who is always dull."
--H. L. Mencken

Meunster

This shit just becoming a mainstream debate?

Cmon guys, the slippery slope fallacy for gay rights was just a joke right?

People aren't actually encouraging pedos are they?
Poe's law ;)

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Meunster on October 30, 2015, 06:31:13 PM

Did you even read his post?
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Meunster

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 30, 2015, 07:56:00 PM
Quote from: Meunster on October 30, 2015, 06:31:13 PM

Did you even read his post?

more directed towards the posts above it.
Poe's law ;)

The Good Reverend Roger

So, my dad spent the last 24 hours in the hospital again.  Another TMI.  Nothing serious, but also nothing that can be done about it.  He may have his driver's license yanked for medical reasons.  In this state, that means you are no longer independent.

What this means to me, other than of course the horrifying notion that my father is very mortal (and believe you me, that's enough.  I didn't sleep a wink last night.):

1.  It looks like we're going to have to take care of my folks more or less full time (ie, under the same roof), starting very shortly.  As in, within the next few weeks.  This makes me crazy, because my mother is a control freak, and is a little too medicated to remember what insanely long & horrible family stories she has already told you that particular day.  My mother is already an invalid.  My dad is more or less one now.  There's no other family within 2200 miles.  Jenn is okay with this, because she and my mom are tight.  I'm not, but what the fuck are you gonna do?  Tell your own parents you can't be bothered?

2.  Trying to figure out how to explain to my mother than I make a living bending peoples legs in funny directions, at least for the moment.  This is kind of the sticky point.  Lots of money, no way to explain WHY lots of money.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Pæs

Sorry to hear that, Roger. Care of parents is always fucking hard.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Pæs on October 30, 2015, 11:56:05 PM
Sorry to hear that, Roger. Care of parents is always fucking hard.

Well, neither one is senile, and there's as of yet no physical issues, but they can't even go to the store if my dad loses his license, and they're more or less both to the point where they can't lift & carry, etc.

Really, the only problem I have is that my mother is one of those control freaks that feels compelled to do weird shit on a regular basis just to establish dominance.  Drives my kids nuts.  Fortunately, both kids are adults and don't have to go along with this (Ian is in the marines anyway, and Keelin is at some point going in the army, as soon as her neck gets big enough1.)

1  Weirder than it sounds.  The army uses the bullshit BMI charts to establish "reasonable weights".  Keelin is a powerlifter, and the muscles she has developed mean that her shoulders and hips are too large in proportion to her neck, meaning she is technically "fat", despite being a mass of muscles and very low body fat.  The army is just as stupid as it was when I was in.

The Good Reverend Roger

TheWake, that fucking board you are on is the most pathetic thing I've seen outside of tumblr.

I'm out.  I don't seem to be able to scrag my account, because the software is - as stated before - shit.

thewake

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 31, 2015, 12:22:25 AM
TheWake, that fucking board you are on is the most pathetic thing I've seen outside of tumblr.

I'm out.  I don't seem to be able to scrag my account, because the software is - as stated before - shit.

That's ok you made them butthurt enough for me to laugh for a couple months. Well, Nigel did, but you helped.

;)
"It is the dull man who is always sure, and the sure man who is always dull."
--H. L. Mencken

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: thewake on October 31, 2015, 12:26:04 AM

That's ok you made them butthurt enough for me to laugh for a couple months. Well, Nigel did, but you helped.

;)

Oh, I'll be around for a while. At least until I'm bored by them or too busy to post. These kids don't know butthurt yet, and I am a button-pushing professional.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on October 31, 2015, 12:46:24 AM

;)

Oh, I'll be around for a while. At least until I'm bored by them or too busy to post. These kids don't know butthurt yet, and I am a button-pushing professional.

I will lurk to enjoy the fun, but unless you want a straight man, I'm done.  That place is a toilet.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 31, 2015, 12:47:47 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on October 31, 2015, 12:46:24 AM

;)

I will lurk to enjoy the fun, but unless you want a straight man, I'm done.  That place is a toilet.

Oh yes, it is clearly MADE for shitting in.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

I should probably get around to regging there.  Sorry, been busy organising my trip to Amsterdam.  Just got to book my hotel and flight, and I should be good.

Pæs

Fucking with that place isn't even sporting. Who could have known that maintaining a presence on "we dun need no skool" might be correlated with stunted maturity?