News:

Your innocence proves nothing.

Main Menu

Started by Bobby Campbell, June 06, 2007, 04:13:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobby Campbell

Quote from: Samuel Boone Johnson Thomas Frederik Douglas III on April 15, 2009, 04:02:33 AM
Very well done.  I was just re-thinking the seeming paradoxes of relativity earlier today and stumbled upon this thread.  Nice little synchronicity.  I know that there have been experiments that support relativity but was there one conducted similar to the one in your comic?  I would like to see a write up if anyone knows any good links/journals (I have access to journals online).

I believe maybe only "thought experiments" have gotten conducted in regards to the relativity of simultaneity.

Here's a 2 minute animated video which explains Einstein's train/lightning thought experiment, which served as the original basis for the comic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wteiuxyqtoM

thanks!

bc

Bu🤠ns

i missed this the first tiem around. LOVE YOUR STUFF, BC!!

Quote from: Bobby Campbell on April 17, 2009, 04:20:55 AM
I believe maybe only "thought experiments" have gotten conducted in regards to the relativity of simultaneity.
Seems like it would be an easy experiment to carry out these days.  You could easily set up an "observer" (photoelectric censor) to be at stationary point that is equidistant between the instantaneous points at which the two "participants" (mirrors/sensors) would be when the light should reach them from a point stationary relative to the light source and two participants.  You could even have them moving in opposite directions at high speeds to increase the effect.
People who want to believe will believe what they want.

Bobby Campbell

Thank you kindly, Burns!

Makes sense to me, Samuel Boone Johnson Thomas Frederik Douglas III!

Wikipedia has this cool animated demonstration...

I need to update that comic, it's falling behind the times!

Bobby Campbell

Here's a silly little design exercise I've started playing around w/over at the MLA, taking all the band names from the Ingolstadt Rock Concert scene in Illuminatus! and fabricating albums...

Cramulus

:mittens: these are hilarious!

you really should do one for the AMA

Bobby Campbell

Oh absolutely, Cramulus!  Thanks for reminding me, neither them or even Clark Kent & The Supermen were on my list...

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Bobby Campbell on May 17, 2009, 02:47:05 AM
Oh absolutely, Cramulus!  Thanks for reminding me, neither them or even Clark Kent & The Supermen were on my list...

Are you one of the Portland people? Just wondering because I didn't think ANYBODY had ever heard of Here Comes Everybody, but I used to work with the girl one of them, and their CDs were always all over the break room.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cramulus

(Here Comes Everybody is originally a band from the Illuminatus! trilogy... )

Bobby Campbell

Thanks for fielding that one, Cramulus!

I found the Portland band Here Comes Everybody on myspace, listening to them now, pretty good!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cramulus on May 18, 2009, 10:19:42 PM
(Here Comes Everybody is originally a band from the Illuminatus! trilogy... )

No shit? I guess I should have talked to that girl more.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Bobby Campbell

Bu🤠ns

Bobby Campbell

Captain Utopia

This thread is so full of win!

:mittens:

Oh - and there's more on your site too - neat!