News:

PD.com: We're like the bugs in the Starship Troopers movie: infinite, unceasing, unstoppable....and our leader looks like a huge vagina

Main Menu

Atlas Shrugged. April 15. Is your body ready?

Started by Prince Glittersnatch III, April 12, 2011, 12:09:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on April 15, 2011, 05:36:21 PM
I'm honestly starting to think we've come across a legitimate case of Aspberger's here.

Or a personality disorder. My money's on a personality disorder.

I already disliked the pendantic little shitweasel, but I tolerated her on the basis that she's probably an aspie and can't help herself. Thing is, I know actual aspies (rather closely related to a couple of them, in fact) who are vastly more sensitive than this stupid little fuckwit... especially when communicating via written word, where the inability to interpret nuances of body language is irrelevant.

Aspies have empathy... this creature doesn't appear to have any.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: Nigel on April 17, 2011, 02:48:40 AM
Quote from: Requia ☣ on April 15, 2011, 04:47:31 PM
Right, I'm officially calling bullshit, you know jack all about objectivism, or any other kind of philosophy, and are completely unable to defend your argument with anything other than blanket statements that the other side is wrong and hurling insults.

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on April 15, 2011, 04:32:06 PM
Quote from: Requia ☣ on April 15, 2011, 04:28:57 PM
Nope, for one thing I still have no fucking clue how you got from A to B on this one.

I love that its now advanced to the point that asking for an explanation is useless pedantry though.

The point isn't about being right or wrong here, Requia.  It's that, while Roger's use of attempted murder may not be the legally exact definition that would suit a real life case like this, the term was still sufficient to get his point across in a conversational manner.  Especially given he'd used the correct terminology earlier in the very same topic.

I'm not talking about the legally accepted definition of murder, I'm talking about the lack of any kind of link whatsoever between his first statement and his second.  Even if you leave out the whole murder bit, and just say 'then objectivists believe anybody with bad breaks should be arrested' it's *still* utter nonsense unless you say *why* that's the case.  I'm fairly certain that there's no reason at all for that to be the case under objectivism at this point, and that Roger is talking out his ass, which is why he refuses to answer me.

If you're so smart, why are you THE ONLY FUCKING PERSON IN THIS THREAD who didn't understand Roger's point?

I didn't understand Roger's point either, but I decided not to mention it because it seemed unfashionable at the time.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Payne

WHat I've gotten from Objectivism previously, and what I believe Rog was referring to with his example was this:

Joes brakes are bad, he knows it, he kills a family when his brakes fail.

>

Joe is guilty of a serious crime, some degree of homicide (I'm not getting into the argument about WHICH degree, as this is entirely unimportant to the example).

Up to this point most non-Objectivists would be entirely in agreement.

>

Anyone else who knowingly drives with bad brakes is ALSO guilty of the same seriousness of crime as Joe, due to the potential consequences of doing so, not the actual consequences.

Now, this last part is the part which turns everything into black and white codification, which in many (most?) cases is entirely innappropriate to real life situations. We charge people for driving unsafe vehicles because they might be lethal, we don't charge them for murder before anyone has actually died.

If we were to start applying rigid black and white codified laws of this kind, then we wouldn't need a jury. Or a judge for that matter. We would just find the Law that best fits the situation and apply the prescribed punishment. We wouldn't try to weigh up circumstances or intent. We wouldn't offer mercy (or even harsher example-making).

The real problem with this of course is that the justice system, as "broken" as many seem to feel it is, is one of THE central supports of democratic society. Participation in the system and the right to have cases heard, debated and judged upon is almost as important (some would have it more important) as voting in elections. Justice isn't a dead tome with indentikit crimes and summary punishment, it's a living, breathing and essential part of what we in the west consider to be life.

Disco Pickle

haven't seen the movie yet.  probably wont.  some books should just never be made into a movie.

here's some decent commentary on it comparing contrasting it with Avatar as far as it's message and artistic value are concerned.  The guy is in all regards a very rational conservative commentator I sometimes listen to.

His voice is kind of annoying though, IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ9xnYc8tkw
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Prince Glittersnatch III

Quote from: Pickled Starfish on April 19, 2011, 09:38:27 PM
haven't seen the movie yet.  probably wont.  some books should just never be made into a movie.

here's some decent commentary on it comparing contrasting it with Avatar as far as it's message and artistic value are concerned.  The guy is in all regards a very rational conservative commentator I sometimes listen to.

When you said he had an annoying voice I thought it would be RedLetterMedia.
I was disapointed :(
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506 <---worst human being to ever live.

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Other%20Pagan%20Mumbo-Jumbo/discordianism.htm <----Learn the truth behind Discordianism

Quote from: Aleister Growly on September 04, 2010, 04:08:37 AM
Glittersnatch would be a rather unfortunate condition, if a halfway decent troll name.

Quote from: GIGGLES on June 16, 2011, 10:24:05 PM
AORTAL SEX MADES MY DICK HARD AS FUCK!

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Lord Glittersnatch on April 19, 2011, 09:41:20 PM
haven't seen the movie yet.  probably wont.  some books should just never be made into a movie.

here's some decent commentary on it comparing contrasting it with Avatar as far as it's message and artistic value are concerned.  The guy is in all regards a very rational conservative commentator I sometimes listen to.

When you said he had an annoying voice I thought it would be RedLetterMedia.
I was disapointed :(

RedLetterMedia sounds like the guy from Idiocracy.  Dax Sheppard?  yeah, that's him.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Mangrove

Sometimes, books shouldn't be made into books either
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

The Wizard

Sorry about your Grandfather, Roger.  :sad: That really, really, sucks.

Also, come back soon, Requia. What you did is almost unforgivable, and merits one hell of an ass kicking. So come back soon.

Damn...really sucks.
Insanity we trust.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Dr. James Semaj on April 21, 2011, 01:47:53 AM
Sorry about your Grandfather, Roger.  :sad: That really, really, sucks.

Also, come back soon, Requia. What you did is almost unforgivable, and merits one hell of an ass kicking. So come back soon.

Damn...really sucks.

Newsfeed?
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Mangrove on April 21, 2011, 01:17:47 AM

Sometimes, books shouldn't be made into books either

Also newsfeed?
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: Telarus on April 22, 2011, 06:30:19 AM
Some great snippets from the reviews of this film:

http://crooksandliars.com/matt-osborne/ayn-rands-new-religion-righteous

My favorite quote....

Quote"Now that I've seen the movie, I think I finally understand the appeal of Atlas Shrugged," (reviewer Timothy) Hulsey explained on Facebook. "It's basically Ayn Rand's version of the Rapture.

"Honestly," he added, "I've seen quite a bit of evangelical Christian cinema, and Atlas Shrugged generally reminded me of the Paul Crouch-Trinity Broadcast Network Omega Code movies. That's not to say I didn't like it — quite the contrary. What Atlas Shrugged lacks in financial resources, star power, and cinematic competence, it makes up in bats**t insanity."

:lulz:

I really don't want to re-read this book but from the reviews I'm seriously wondering if I am remembering it correctly...  :?  I mean it has been over 20 years but damn....

LMNO

On NPR, a most tactful way of putting it:

"Her philosophy did not play well in reality.  Not for her, and not for her followers."

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Suu

Quote from: Hoopla on April 28, 2011, 02:48:13 PM
So, this movie has bombed... yes?

Totally.

I mean, what do you expect to come from a woman who looked like this?

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."