OPEN BAR: NO CISNORMATIVE ELVEN PATRIARCHS ALLOWED

Started by Cain, January 22, 2015, 08:40:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Well, at least most of the consequences of this place not working properly are less severe.

I mean, no-one's gonna go home missing an arm because something blew up because the head of cleaning is a self-important jackass.  Heavy machinery...slightly higher range of worry there, IMO.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on April 21, 2015, 02:31:59 AM
Well, at least most of the consequences of this place not working properly are less severe.

I mean, no-one's gonna go home missing an arm because something blew up because the head of cleaning is a self-important jackass.  Heavy machinery...slightly higher range of worry there, IMO.

Yeah, but it's the same feeling of not accomplishing a Goddamn thing with your irreplaceable time on this planet.
Molon Lube

Cain

Yeah, there is that.  Fortunately, my degree is what I consider my "real" work...this just pays the bills while I do that.

It helps.  Somewhat.

Nephew Twiddleton

Hey guys.

I quite honestly don't know what is keeping me from here. Probably just something I just need to sort out in my head. Just checking in, letting you all know that Twid is ok.

Actually, I have a bit of good news.

Dr. S, the man who fired me many years ago but I still work on the same floor with, recommended me for extra responsibility. I accepted. I had a meeting with a PI today, and we did the preliminary sussing it out.

I was pleased. Dr. S and the PI I spoke to are close friends. I don't know what happened there but I'll take it.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Nephew Twiddleton

It's not much, but I am resuming a responsibility that I had under Dr. S. And it's being extended towards the whole floor.

I guess I wasn't a totally shite administrative assistant after all.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

LMNO

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 20, 2015, 11:46:55 PM
I have officially been told not to properly troubleshoot things, because "you might not be right - right away - and that wastes time", and my new officially-mandated procedure is "do whatever the non-technical people guess during the staff meeting."

:lulz:

I am SOOOOO okay with this.

Please tell me someone wrote that down and signed off on it.

Quote from: Cain on April 21, 2015, 02:07:04 AM
URGH THIS FUCKING PLACE

Apparently asking the cleaners if they cleaned a room where something went missing, is racist.  I just had a very angry email from the head of the cleaning crew, making all sort of wild accusations, that I "immediately" suspected the cleaners etc etc...a whole bunch of bullshit.  Basically, the two other members of staff on duty that day said they knew nothing about it.  The other kid in the cluster of flats knew nothing about it.  Hmm, who to ask next? 

I've just written a very nasty email in reply, and then essentially told him to take all future complaints to my boss, as I give no fucks.  I'm going to sleep on it before sending, but I'm 90% likely to send it.

It's like Tumblr has leaked into the real world.

Cain

Nah, it's just that professionalism here is completely nonexistent.

I mean, if you were having a problem with someone at work, for whatever reason, you would go to their line manager, right?  It's a no brainer.  You're not in a position to tell off your colleagues, and doing so is likely only to cause resentment.  You go to the person responsible for them and let them make the decision.  It's...like such a basic concept of how to act and run a company I can't think of any more simple a way to put it.

Yet the concept seems to be completely alien to most people here.  Now, it is a new company (4 years old).  But the thing is, the actual company side of things, the management and corporate structure, is really well set up.  I mean, there's a proper HR department here, a whole department that deals with communications between parents, student and teachers...things I've never had at any other school I've worked for.  So it's just bizarre that they have this excellent set up, populated and run by idiots.

Cain

Besides, most of the cleaners are Portuguese, which makes them white imperialists.

As someone of Scottish ancestery, I am far more oppressed than them, and thus they are the real racists.

Junkenstein

QuoteIt's...like such a basic concept of how to act and run a company I can't think of any more simple a way to put it.

Seriously, you would not believe the number of businesses that utterly fail to implement simple concepts.

FFS, I've consulted for people that haven't had a billing procedure. Let me repeat that, the company did not have a system to bring money into the business. I'm relatively certain at this point that every single firm in at least the UK is missing at least one very business critical system. Or it's there and utterly ignored and unused.

9/10 new business still fail in their first year. I'd bet good money that at least 3/9 fail because they can't actually drag money in, even when owed and work completed.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Doktor Howl

My apologies for my absence and my failure to write down the SCIENCE GESTAPO shit in a reasonable amount of time.  Lillie has instituted a program of all day meetings in which we are told why we suck, and Jenn and I just had an anniversary, so I've been otherwise occupied at home.

I'll be back when I have a chance.  Shouldn't be long.
Molon Lube

Cain

You suck because you have meetings all day instead of getting shit done.

You have meetings all day long because you suck.

Chelagoras The Boulder

god, it actually feels like she thinks shes running a marketing firm or something where having meetings to get everyone on message might actually do something. She seems to genuinely struggle with the realities of having to produce real tangible shit.
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on April 22, 2015, 12:46:30 AM
god, it actually feels like she thinks shes running a marketing firm or something where having meetings to get everyone on message might actually do something. She seems to genuinely struggle with the realities of having to produce real tangible shit.

No, she understands tangible shit.  She's stupid, but not ignorant.

What's happening is that she's in way over her head, and she's panicking.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 20, 2015, 11:46:55 PM
I have officially been told not to properly troubleshoot things, because "you might not be right - right away - and that wastes time", and my new officially-mandated procedure is "do whatever the non-technical people guess during the staff meeting."

:lulz:

I am SOOOOO okay with this.

Ummmmm  :lulz: I like to tell my mechanic the same thing, and then I just have her listen to the suggestions of a bunch of the pre-schoolers down the street.

Because LOGIC.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Legate Gene O'Mick, PhD on April 21, 2015, 06:02:57 AM
Hey guys.

I quite honestly don't know what is keeping me from here. Probably just something I just need to sort out in my head. Just checking in, letting you all know that Twid is ok.

Actually, I have a bit of good news.

Dr. S, the man who fired me many years ago but I still work on the same floor with, recommended me for extra responsibility. I accepted. I had a meeting with a PI today, and we did the preliminary sussing it out.

I was pleased. Dr. S and the PI I spoke to are close friends. I don't know what happened there but I'll take it.

Nice to see you, Twid!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."