News:

Where Everybody Knows You're Lame. 

Main Menu

Open Bar: Arguments About Turtles, All the Way Down

Started by Cain, August 09, 2014, 07:29:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

President Television

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on September 17, 2014, 07:37:25 PM
Little Susie thinks the vomit-yellow and grave-mold-green particles floating amidst the deluge look almost magical in the dim light, against a backdrop of hissing downpour. She presses her little face to the window and stares intently at the mysterious motes dancing about, turning the rain to sloppy sludge as the specks infiltrated each drop. She stares until she perceives, in the lizard portion of her brain, a malevolent sentience in each tiny fleck. Until she can not turn away. Until she can no longer resist their piercing siren wail beyond the glass.

Little Susie flings open the window, letting in the rain. And the spores. Almost instantly she becomes coated in slime. And the spores waste no time getting to know their new food source. Seeping into her skin, the spores burrow. Deeper in, down into the meat and marrow of Little Susie. Burrow until they reached Little Susie's heart.

Now her pulse is in perfect sync with Tucson's. Now Little Susie is a part of something bigger. Older.

Little Susie smiles in the mirror. She smiles with her vomit-yellow lips until her grave-mold-green eyes spark with mirth.

Then she skips off to ask Mommy for permission to go play at a friend's house. Mommy will say yes.

Mommy will do anything Little Susie asks.

Or else.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!   :eek:
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on September 17, 2014, 07:37:25 PM
Little Susie thinks the vomit-yellow and grave-mold-green particles floating amidst the deluge look almost magical in the dim light, against a backdrop of hissing downpour. She presses her little face to the window and stares intently at the mysterious motes dancing about, turning the rain to sloppy sludge as the specks infiltrated each drop. She stares until she perceives, in the lizard portion of her brain, a malevolent sentience in each tiny fleck. Until she can not turn away. Until she can no longer resist their piercing siren wail beyond the glass.

Little Susie flings open the window, letting in the rain. And the spores. Almost instantly she becomes coated in slime. And the spores waste no time getting to know their new food source. Seeping into her skin, the spores burrow. Deeper in, down into the meat and marrow of Little Susie. Burrow until they reached Little Susie's heart.

Now her pulse is in perfect sync with Tucson's. Now Little Susie is a part of something bigger. Older.

Little Susie smiles in the mirror. She smiles with her vomit-yellow lips until her grave-mold-green eyes spark with mirth.

Then she skips off to ask Mommy for permission to go play at a friend's house. Mommy will say yes.

Mommy will do anything Little Susie asks.

Or else.

Wow.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Tonight, my boyfriend is going to see Neil DeGrasse Tyson, while I'm going to volunteer at an event at the Columbia Slough.   :kingmeh:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Q. G. Pennyworth

CPD has all the holies!

I have tissues stuffed in my face to keep the brain juice off the carpet.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on September 18, 2014, 01:44:23 AM
CPD has all the holies!

I have tissues stuffed in my face to keep the brain juice off the carpet.

Ain't it AWESOME?   :lulz:

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

LMNO

Quote from: Your Mom on September 17, 2014, 11:39:10 PM
Tonight, my boyfriend is going to see Neil DeGrasse Tyson, while I'm going to volunteer at an event at the Columbia Slough.   :kingmeh:

You might be on the higher moral trip?

The Good Reverend Roger

They have canned haggis on sale at the grocery store.

I bought a couple of cans, in case of nuclear attack.

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 18, 2014, 03:44:10 AM

Save one for your work place's secret Santa, this year. Who wouldn't want a canned haggis in their stocking?
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 18, 2014, 02:55:24 AM
Quote from: Your Mom on September 17, 2014, 11:39:10 PM

You might be on the higher moral trip?

I couldn't get a ticket, his girl-on-the-side and her life partner had a spare someone had to bail on and they offered it to him.

I bet it's good seats, too. Plus they took him out to dinner first.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on September 18, 2014, 04:40:54 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 18, 2014, 03:44:10 AM

Save one for your work place's secret Santa, this year. Who wouldn't want a canned haggis in their stocking?

If they launch, I have maybe 35 minutes before all manner of shit falls on Tucson (Davis Monthan AFB/the boneyard makes this one of the most heavily targeted places on Earth).  I figure I can get the can open and eat the shit raw, and still have 20 minutes or so for it to fucking kill me before the bombs hit.

Fuck you, Putin.  Fuck you.

Suu

I've decided I need to make a new meme about how homophobes should be fascist, because the founders of democracy (Athens) and republicanism (Romans) allowed for open homosexuality.

BAN THE REPUBLIC, IT WAS FOUNDED BY THE GAYS
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

LMNO

This is a bit of a brain twister.

QuoteSuppose that 3% of the population has ADHD.

Suppose that of people with ADHD, 50% of them realize they have ADHD like symptoms and go to a psychiatrist to get checked out.

Suppose that of people without ADHD, 10% of them falsely believe they have ADHD and also go to a psychiatrist to get checked out.

The Conners Continuous Performance Test is a commonly used test that evaluates children for ADHD. It is found to have a sensitivity of 75% and a specificity of 73%. In theory our system is based on faith that a trained psychiatrist can do better than a neuropsychological test; in practice they probably do much worse. Let's give them the benefit of the doubt and say this is an excellent psychiatrist who outperforms the test handily and has both a sensitivity and specificity of 85%.

We can see that of every 100 people, 3 will have ADHD and 97 won't. 1.5 true patients and 9.7 false patients will show up for psychiatric evaluation. The psychiatrist will diagnose 1.275 true patients and 1.455 false patients with the condition, and prescribes stimulants according to the diagnosis.

So we have three things that, surprisingly, all happen at once:

1. We have an excellent psychiatrist who outperforms the tests and is right 85% of the time.
2. The majority of people who are on Ritalin, shouldn't be.
3. The majority of people who should be on Ritalin, aren't.

Number two sounds a lot like what we mean by "overdiagnosis", and number three sounds a lot like what we mean by "underdiagnosis". So even with a pretty good psychiatrist acting honestly, we expect ADHD to be both overdiagnosed and underdiagnosed at the same time.

LMNO

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 18, 2014, 01:18:21 PM
This is a bit of a brain twister.

QuoteSuppose that 3% of the population has ADHD.

Suppose that of people with ADHD, 50% of them realize they have ADHD like symptoms and go to a psychiatrist to get checked out.

Suppose that of people without ADHD, 10% of them falsely believe they have ADHD and also go to a psychiatrist to get checked out.

The Conners Continuous Performance Test is a commonly used test that evaluates children for ADHD. It is found to have a sensitivity of 75% and a specificity of 73%. In theory our system is based on faith that a trained psychiatrist can do better than a neuropsychological test; in practice they probably do much worse. Let's give them the benefit of the doubt and say this is an excellent psychiatrist who outperforms the test handily and has both a sensitivity and specificity of 85%.

We can see that of every 100 people, 3 will have ADHD and 97 won't. 1.5 true patients and 9.7 false patients will show up for psychiatric evaluation. The psychiatrist will diagnose 1.275 true patients and 1.455 false patients with the condition, and prescribes stimulants according to the diagnosis.

So we have three things that, surprisingly, all happen at once:

1. We have an excellent psychiatrist who outperforms the tests and is right 85% of the time.
2. The majority of people who are on Ritalin, shouldn't be.
3. The majority of people who should be on Ritalin, aren't.

Number two sounds a lot like what we mean by "overdiagnosis", and number three sounds a lot like what we mean by "underdiagnosis". So even with a pretty good psychiatrist acting honestly, we expect ADHD to be both overdiagnosed and underdiagnosed at the same time.

Sounds about right.