News:

You know what I always say? "Always kill the mouthy one", that's what I always say.

Main Menu

Thar's gold in them thar prisons

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, September 05, 2013, 03:13:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

http://bigthink.com/neurobonkers/the-forensic-laboratories-that-are-paid-per-conviction

QuoteA disquieting paper has been published in the journal Criminal Justice Ethics, that suggests the decisions of forensic scientists are being influenced by payments for convictions. The authors Roger Koppl and Meghan Sacks, cite as an example one laboratory for which collection of court costs following guilty verdicts is the only stable source of funding. According to the paper, in Washington those found guilty following forensic evidence against them must pay a $100 fee, in Kansas the fee is $400, in North Carolina there is a fee of $600 for those found guilty following DNA evidence, similar rules apply in Alabama, New Mexico, Kentucky, New Jersey, Virginia, Illinois and Michigan.

It's not difficult to see how this situation creates a perverse incentive, but what make this case so incredibly worrying is how intrinsically vulnerable evaluation of forensic evidence is to bias. There is plenty of evidence to suggest that when a forensic scientist is given evidence about a case, their decisions regarding ambiguous fingerprint and DNA evidence can be swayed.

The paper cites a report by the National Academy of Sciences (NAS) which suggests that "the opinions of bloodstain pattern analysts are more subjective than scientific", other areas of forensic science that were assessed to rely heavily on subjective judgment included fingerprint analysis, handwriting comparisons, traditional hair microscopy, ballistics and impression evidence (e.g. comparisons of shoe and tyre tracks).
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

:crankey:

WHAT THE FUCK ARE THEY DOING TO MY SCIENCE?
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 05, 2013, 03:54:23 AM

HUSH NOW, CITIZEN, OR WE'LL HAVE TO EXAMINE YOUR COMPUTER FOR ILLEGAL IDEAS.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Facemeat on September 05, 2013, 03:59:43 AM

AND GET PAID ONLY IF THEY "FIND" SHIT.

You can fuck with my constitution.  You can fuck with my money.

YOU DON'T FUCK WITH MY SCIENCE!

YARRRRGANARRRG!
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 05, 2013, 04:08:09 AM
Quote from: Facemeat on September 05, 2013, 03:59:43 AM

AND GET PAID ONLY IF THEY "FIND" SHIT.

You can fuck with my constitution.  You can fuck with my money.

YOU DON'T FUCK WITH MY SCIENCE!

YARRRRGANARRRG!

Wellll COME ON

Where else can we create motivation for our job-creators??

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Intellectual "science" is just a lazy excuse for these so-called academics to continue doing nothing.

Anna Mae Bollocks

MORE PRISONS! FULLER PRISONS! YOU WANT OUR PRISONS TO LOOK LIKE THOSE EMPTY DEVELOPMENTS IN CHINA?

WHY DO YOU HATE AMERICA?
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Cain

-

LMNO

SHADDAP!  IT'S THE FREE MARKET AT WORK!
       \
:cheney: