News:

Your innocence proves nothing.

Main Menu

David Bowie died

Started by hooplala, January 11, 2016, 07:30:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooplala

I honestly thought he would live forever.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

MMIX

Quote from: Hoopla on January 11, 2016, 07:30:31 AM
Bowie will live forever; its just that he's dead now, too. The great chameleon of rock changes again. :(
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

LMNO

Cancer can go fuck itself.

That said, "Blackstar" sounds totally different, now that we know he was fully aware this was his last album, and he would soon be dead.  It's pretty gutting.

Cain

I'm now waiting for the "Bowie was killed by NASA" theories to appear, because Black Star is also the name of a lunatic conspiracy theory.

LMNO

By NASA?  That would be AWESOME.  Please let me know if you hear anything.

Fuck, maybe we should start that ourselves.

Cain

Vanadium Gryllz

David Bowie murdered by NASA to keep Martian arachnid secrets! You won't believe the truth!
"I was fine until my skin came off.  I'm never going to South Attelboro again."

trippinprincezz13

Quote from: Hoopla on January 11, 2016, 07:30:31 AM

Ditto to this and to "fuck cancer".

Quote from: LMNO on January 11, 2016, 02:25:52 PM

That said, "Blackstar" sounds totally different, now that we know he was fully aware this was his last album, and he would soon be dead.  It's pretty gutting.

Heard 'Lazarus' when it was released, will have to give the rest of the album a listen. I can only imagine, with him knowing this was to be his last.
There's no sun shine coming through her ass, if you are sure of your penis.

Paranoia is a disease unto itself, and may I add, the person standing next to you, may not be who they appear to be, so take precaution.

If there is no order in your sexual life it may be difficult to stay with a whole skin.

Ziegejunge

David Bowie was my wife's favorite performing artist. He was my father-in-law's favorite too.

My father-in-law died of cancer in March 2013, only a few days after the release of Bowie's penultimate album The Next Day. He had moved in with us about a month and a half prior and was on hospice. He died with my wife, her sister, and myself present in the room with him.

As he lay dying, I asked my wife if she thought I should put the album on and she said yes. Her dad died listening to their favorite artist's new album for the first time. It was perhaps the most tribal moment of my life, for lack of a better way of describing it.

Bowie's passing stings for a great plethora of reasons. I just wanted to share a personal one. He will be missed but never ever forgotten.

hooplala

Before I got into Bowie, I had juvenile taste. I couldn't have picked a better performer to get into at that age... I loved his music so much I devoured EVERYthing about him, and with him I learned about the Velvet Underground, Jean Genet, Crowley, and... Jesus, pretty much everything I know can be traced back to that demented beautiful man with mismatched eyes like some cat from Japan. 

I knew no matter what I wore I would never look more demented or cool than he did on the Midnight Special singing I Got You Babe with Marianne Faithful in a backless nun habit. Just never. The pressure was off.

Bowie taught me about music, he taught me about the world, he taught me about myself.

I lost a mentor today.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Bowie was a freak for the freaks. He will always be the Patron Saint of the Weird Kids in my heart.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

My favorite thing about him is probably that he didn't give a single fuck about dignity. He had it, he just didn't care if other people thought so or not.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."