News:

PD.com: The combined word for "horror" and "mirth"

Main Menu

MAKE MONEY TELLING NAIVE ELDERLY PEOPLE WHAT THEY WANT TO HEAR, SRSLY.

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, February 11, 2010, 05:21:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

East Coast Hustle

you should, if only because it will allow you to use the word "wormhole" as a double-entendre from then on.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Horrendous Foreign Love Stoat on February 11, 2010, 11:46:19 PM
fuck off nigel.

mouth off about beads or something you have personal experience about, like failing at dating and, prehaps I'll listen. I can't be bothered taking your bait. Your fight with everyone else fail, and now you want one with me.

I was actually under the impression that I was making fun of Lysergic, but if you want it to be about you, that's cool too.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Actually, come to think of it, I'm not sure who you are or whether we've ever had a conversation?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Lies

Quote from: Calamity Nigel on February 11, 2010, 05:21:30 PM
It's easy! All you have to do is call them up, tell them about investment opportunities or lotteries - you're just telling them what they want to hear, they're convincing themselves, and besides it's their own fault for falling for it. It's entertainment! I can justify anything!

Why are you taking a stab at me Nigel?

There's a big difference between what I do and what they do.

Namely, what I do *is* entertainment.

It's labeled as such.

You know, I don't *just* do cold readings.

You know, I do, shows, magic, on stage ect.

My cold reading topic was just to share some resources I've been researching in order to solidify my ground in it.

I have no intention of becoming a professional psychic type person,(ok that's not completely true, but none that claim any *real* ability) this is merely to supplement my skills in entertainment.

- So the New World Order does not actually exist?
- Oh it exists, and how!
Ask the slaves whose labour built the White House;
Ask the slaves of today tied down to sweatshops and brothels to escape hunger;
Ask most women, second class citizens, in a pervasive rape culture;
Ask the non-human creatures who inhabit the planet:
whales, bears, frogs, tuna, bees, slaughtered farm animals;
Ask the natives of the Americas and Australia on whose land
you live today, on whose graves your factories, farms and neighbourhoods stand;
ask any of them this, ask them if the New World Order is true;
they'll tell you plainly: the New World Order... is you!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I'm taking a stab at your THREAD, which basically announces in its very title "hey sweet, I'm smarter/better than other people so it's OK for me to fleece them!"

There's a vast ethical difference between selling them "entertainment" knowing you are using psychological tricks that will lead many people to believe it's psychic phenomena, and selling them psychic readings when you believe in them, too.

It's the "Oh hey, average people are just so stupid and easy to take advantage of, haha!" thing that rubs me the wrong way.

Lies

Quote from: Calamity Nigel on February 12, 2010, 12:55:42 AM
I'm taking a stab at your THREAD, which basically announces in its very title "hey sweet, I'm smarter/better than other people so it's OK for me to fleece them!"

There's a vast ethical difference between selling them "entertainment" knowing you are using psychological tricks that will lead many people to believe it's psychic phenomena, and selling them psychic readings when you believe in them, too.

I've met people who "know" the world is going to end in 2012 because they're "psychic"

If people really started taking their advice, they would sell all their belongings and hide underground.

At least with the things I tell people, it's nothing more then Barnum statements and psychological profiling, and I would never tell people anything that would cause them to do stupid things.

People who believe they are genuine, on the other hand, will. 
- Oh it exists, and how!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Lysergic on February 12, 2010, 01:01:25 AM

I've met people who "know" the world is going to end in 2012 because they're "psychic"

If people really started taking their advice, they would sell all their belongings and hide underground.

At least with the things I tell people, it's nothing more then Barnum statements and psychological profiling, and I would never tell people anything that would cause them to do stupid things.

Well you just go on being superior and taking money from stupid people, then.

I've known a lot of crazy people who had loony ideas but were not bad people.

To me, the ethics of it is all about intention, and I think your intention was pretty clearly stated in your title.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Horrendous Foreign Love Stoat on February 12, 2010, 01:03:33 AM
QuoteI was actually under the impression that I was making fun of Lysergic, but if you want it to be about you, that's cool too.

whoops. my bad I guess. I'm on a hyper defensive today, sorry.

No worries, I've been there too. Recently, even.  :lol:

Lies

Quote from: Calamity Nigel on February 12, 2010, 01:03:16 AM

To me, the ethics of it is all about intention, and I think your intention was pretty clearly stated in your title.

Are you saying I'm a bad person?

Cus if you are, I can live with that. No one else I've ever done this kinda stuff for thinks I'm a bad person, except when they really really believe in this crap and I end up telling them the truth when they start to get emotionally invested and I think I'd be making things worse by continuing the act (Like this one chick who seriously thought 2012 was going to happen due to her psychic premonitions which she admitted to me after I'd done some simple cold reading and psychic type magic acts...)

I'm sorry nigel, while I do *hear* and *understand* what you're saying here, I think you've still got me and what I'm trying to say all wrong.

Nearly everyone I've ever done such things for, have walked away happier people, and I'm always happy to explain that what I do isn't exactly psychic as it is advanced psychology, and they can believe what they like.
There are a few people who refuse to believe me, thinking that I'm really a psychic who refuses to believe in my own powers.
Go figure.
- Oh it exists, and how!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Lysergic on February 12, 2010, 01:17:22 AM
Quote from: Calamity Nigel on February 12, 2010, 01:03:16 AM

Are you saying I'm a bad person?

Cus if you are, I can live with that. No one else I've ever done this kinda stuff for thinks I'm a bad person, except when they really really believe in this crap and I end up telling them the truth when they start to get emotionally invested and I think I'd be making things worse by continuing the act (Like this one chick who seriously thought 2012 was going to happen due to her psychic premonitions which she admitted to me after I'd done some simple cold reading and psychic type magic acts...)

I'm sorry nigel, while I do *hear* and *understand* what you're saying here, I think you've still got me and what I'm trying to say all wrong.

Nearly everyone I've ever done such things for, have walked away happier people, and I'm always happy to explain that what I do isn't exactly psychic as it is advanced psychology, and they can believe what they like.
There are a few people who refuse to believe me, thinking that I'm really a psychic who refuses to believe in my own powers.
Go figure.

Lysergic, I realize that this is not going to get through to you. But I don't have a problem with what you are doing, particularly if you are extremely up-front about it and explain the techniques you are using. What I have a problem with is the somewhat sociopathic attitude you seem to have toward the people who are your clientele.

I mean, sometimes I go on rants about bead ladies, because sometimes they drive me fucking nuts. But I'm not sitting behind my torch going "LOL, idiots, I can't believe they pay me for this crap, sucker born every minute eh?"

I find it kind of creepy, dehumanizing, and alienating when people cheerfully make their money off people they consider suckers, and then laugh about it. It is one thing when someone provides an entertainment service and has respect and compassion for their clientele. The people who you find so contemptible, the "stupid people" who believe you have psychic abilities even when you tell them you don't, those people want hope, and something to believe in. They're the ones who deserve the most humanity compassion, and despite your denials and your claims that you try to help people, that is not something I am seeing in your posts... completely the opposite, actually.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Lysergic on February 12, 2010, 01:17:22 AM

Lys, save your breath, all she wants to see is the "take money from stupid people" line, and pick a fight over it. Everything else is going to get ignored.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

LMNO

How come no one ever starts epic battles when someone mentions classic subgenius lines like "They may be Pink, but their money's Green," I wonder?

It's exactly the same thing: Fleece the gullible.  Same with the Parable of the Golden Bull.

Quote from: Enrico"Most peoples, they are not completely right in the head. Most peoples accept your information like a baby goat accepts your root. If you give them bullshit, though, the person will later find out about it, become angry, but then they will need to go look up the information themselves. They will need to use their own head gravy, instead of relying on other peoples to do their thinking for them . . . in this way bullshit is very very important. So spread bullshit everywhere, my fine friendly frotteur."

Enrico was about to leave when the man called out to him "But what if they never find out that the information is bullshit?"

Enrico turned back to the man. He shrugged. "Fuck em. If they are that stupid, they deserve to stay that way."

So why all the static, folks?

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

LMNO

Or that guy [country] Bill Jones, or whatever his name was.  Gambler.  Doktor occasionally quotes him.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO on February 12, 2010, 02:10:31 PM
Or that guy [country] Bill Jones, or whatever his name was.  Gambler.  Doktor occasionally quotes him.

Canada Bill Jones.

"It is morally wrong to allow a sucker to keep his money."

Of course, he was referring to people dumb enough to gamble on river boats.

He was a bit of a sucker himself, though.

"I know, but it's the only game in town."
- CBJ, on hearing that the faro game he was joining was rigged.
Molon Lube