News:

"At the teaparties they only dunked bags into cups of water...because they didn't want to break the law. And that just about sums up America's revolutionary spirit."

Main Menu

Roger, it turns out you were right all along

Started by East Coast Hustle, March 12, 2010, 08:24:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

East Coast Hustle

Any and all ideas I had about restraining our impulses and being nice to people because as long as we got them to stick around here, they'd eventually smarten up and we wouldn't want so badly to choke them with toothpicks?

I was wrong. WAY wrong. Not only was I wrong, but my wrongness has jeopardized everything that once made this site special. PD.com is now just barely better than Mysticwicks/The Cellar/TCC/etc. Alot of people might not agree with that, but in my mind that's just one more glaring symptom of the problem. I am guilty of trying to impose massed-infantry tactics on what is clearly an arena suited for 5GW, and it worked in all the wrong ways, and I apologize for that. I don't know what to do about it, or if there's even anything effective that CAN be done about it, but I know one thing, and that is that I am absolutely through being nice to people just because they're here. We raised this place from the rubble with the intent of it becoming a hangout/resource/network for a certain kind of person, and there are too many people here who aren't interested in our program. Most of them probably don't even know we HAVE a program, and again, I take the blame for that. It may be too late to shove the toothpaste back in the tube, but it may not be too late to switch to brushing with lye. In short, I think we need to re-start the other site, and remind ourselves that no matter how far the screaming yahoos have penetrated into our inner sanctum, once we have found our resolve they will never be able to dig deep enough or fun far enough. In any such endeavor I will, of course, need Commander Ringmeat at my side, "inspiring" the troops in the usual way. This place may have run its course in terms of usefulness, but the ideas that started it are still good ones and I don't want to abandon them just yet. I have a little over a month to make plans before I thrust myself into another cross-country adventure, and I'd like to arm myself to the teeth (metaphorically speaking) before I go. I can't go "lone wolf", because anything with "wolf" in it is sucky, but I am sick to death of being the admin of "Facebook for Weirdos".

So...are you in?
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

KingPatrick

You can leave your Admin badge at the door.
Thanks, bye, suckmyleftone.

Your pal,
Daruko  :wink:

Kai

It's true, we took this over for a certain type of person.

Now lets just hope I'm still included in said certain type.

Or if not, self-"in da nads".
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

LMNO

Sometimes, you have to be the change you want to see.

Case in point, the SME thread. 

Dysfunctional Cunt

Dimocritus

I came here to be active/learn how to be effective in action. The social aspect is a neccessary bi-product of that, and I don't think it can be avoided. If what you're planning goes through, I'll support it and participate, but I will not abandon this place in doing so.
HOUSE OF GABCab ~ "caecus plumbum caecus"

Dimocritus

Quote from: Horrendous Foreign Liam Stoat on March 12, 2010, 09:42:50 PM
YEAH! LETS CLIMB IN THE IVORY TOWER AND SHIT ON THE PEASANTRY!

well. I did log in to make some constructive additions to my stuff here, and then I read this shite.

Laters, I'm out. All this 'certain kind of people' & 'our program' shit can go fuck off. tata. I'm offskis, count all my projects here on indefinite hold fo the duration.

Roger, you have our phone number, you are welcome to call us at any time mate :D Same goes for you Jenne.

Anyone else, you'll find me on facebook under my real fake name 'keith rolly'

You aint going nowhere 'till I get my fake adverts!  :argh!:

BADGE OF HONOR

Communities change.  You can never go back to the good ol days.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Pope Pixie Pickle

I can see where ECH is coming from, I've been to other forums, I still post on one occasionally, and I have :facepalm: on the amount of whiny fluff that gets posted. The occasional tension here can prove an amazing catalyst for creativity and actual real bipedal thought.

I'm trying to keep my mental health bitching there to be fair unless it seems relevant to a thread here.

That saying, I'm not the most creative or original posters here, but I appreciate the work that has been done, I'm going to continue to give people a chance to prove themselves cos because I'm not going to change who I am to fit PD.

We need more of such projects as the Horrormirth competition as an example to balance out the fluff.

The fluff occurs when we as a comunity feel comfortable with each other and seems to be a byproduct of us feeling some form of affinity with people here.

Maybe some of us should just get livejournal accounts.

Oh, and :mittens: for lmno!

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Kai on March 12, 2010, 08:51:39 PM
It's true, we took this over for a certain type of person.

Now lets just hope I'm still included in said certain type.

Or if not, self-"in da nads".

that's really only for you to decide, but as far as I'm concerned, you'd have to work pretty fuckin' hard to get off of my good side. You and I have pretty much been tight since day 1 here, y'know?

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Horrendous Foreign Liam Stoat on March 12, 2010, 09:42:50 PM
YEAH! LETS CLIMB IN THE IVORY TOWER AND SHIT ON THE PEASANTRY!

well. I did log in to make some constructive additions to my stuff here, and then I read this shite.

Laters, I'm out. All this 'certain kind of people' & 'our program' shit can go fuck off. tata. I'm offskis, count all my projects here on indefinite hold fo the duration.

Roger, you have our phone number, you are welcome to call us at any time mate :D Same goes for you Jenne.

Anyone else, you'll find me on facebook under my real fake name 'keith rolly'

umm, this IS the ivory tower. always has been. I hope you weren't laboring under a misimpression this whole time, but PD.com was never intended to be for everyone and anyone. You have one of the highest signal-to-noise ratios of any poster I've ever seen, so I'm not sure what your complaint is but I'd be happy to address it in any way that I can.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: dimo on March 12, 2010, 09:35:31 PM
I came here to be active/learn how to be effective in action. The social aspect is a neccessary bi-product of that, and I don't think it can be avoided. If what you're planning goes through, I'll support it and participate, but I will not abandon this place in doing so.

the social aspect has always been present.

it has not, however, always been so overwhelmingly retarded.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: BADGE OF HONOR on March 12, 2010, 09:50:29 PM
Communities change.  You can never go back to the good ol days.

very true, but you also don't have to allow the new days to be less good.

Dimocritus

Quote from: Emerald City Hustle on March 12, 2010, 10:12:37 PM
Quote from: dimo on March 12, 2010, 09:35:31 PM

the social aspect has always been present.

it has not, however, always been so overwhelmingly retarded.

Just so I can try to understand you better, what exactly do you see as the problem? Like I said, I'm willing to help and participate, but before I do I just want to make sure I'm understanding what you're saying properly.

Pope Pixie Pickle