News:

Testimonial: "This board is everything that's fucking wrong with the internet"

Main Menu

Slow Time in Fat City™, Part 3

Started by Doktor Howl, September 07, 2010, 03:15:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Tucson is a hard city.  Not the good kind of hard, with a soft exterior and a core of iron...No, it's more of an asphalt and jagged steel exterior, and a rotten core full of mold and failure.  Lots of people faceplant on that surface, not because they did anything wrong, but because they also didn't do anything right.

There's no real sense of outrage, here.  Freeky and I frequently do bad things in public, in broad daylight, potentially in view of small children, impressionable retards, and Welsh people.  In any sane society, we'd be beaten like dogs for our own good.  Fortunately, however, we live here, and what we do is considered only a tiny bit weird by the geeks and horrible perverts that live here.  The police don't care.  They're all about to be laid off, and they know it.

Neither one of us should be allowed to own a four wheel drive, and there should be a law against us driving in the legal district.  No, it's entirely too much fun blasting down congress at 1AM, hooting at the few remaining partiers, and dodging the drunks that stagger into the road, with a randomness that calls to mind the old Frogger game.

But what the hell can we do?  There's an inexlicable sense of desperation here, a feeling that The Fun™ may soon come to an end, so we'd better get ours while we can.  You feel like Doom is right around the corner, and it may as well catch you laughing like a loon, instead of cowering in a corner.  As a result, Freeky and I get a little dumber every day, and it's only a matter of time before the hammer comes down.  But what of it?  What is luck there for, if not to push it?

I suspect that Tucson isn't alone in this respect.  I suspect that all over, people are feeling the same impending Doom, and reacting to it as they've been conditioned.  Just like in 2002, people are going to be asking each other where each other was, when IT happens, whatever IT happens to be.

So, I have to ask you:  What will YOU be doing, when the Fun stops?

Okay for now,
Dok
Molon Lube

Freeky

Adios

I have been feeling an itch between my shoulder blades for a while now. Like I am expecting a knife to end up there. I never look over my shoulder, but now I want a rear view mirror.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Charley Brown on September 07, 2010, 08:04:47 PM
I have been feeling an itch between my shoulder blades for a while now. Like I am expecting a knife to end up there. I never look over my shoulder, but now I want a rear view mirror.

Not sure what you mean.  Perhaps you can elaborate?
Molon Lube

Adios

I'll try.

It's like something is right there, watching, waiting. The only thing holding it back it it's own timetable. Something large and intangible, leaving a sense of impending, doom, maybe?

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Charley Brown on September 07, 2010, 08:24:19 PM
I'll try.

It's like something is right there, watching, waiting. The only thing holding it back it it's own timetable. Something large and intangible, leaving a sense of impending, doom, maybe?

Lots of people have that.  Most take some form of benzo to deal with it.

Fact is, the result of too much information is paranoia...Not because of what the information IS, but because we are all asked to process too much of it.  Our brains are designed to handle the following stresses:

1.  Is that a leopard, or just the wind across the high grass?

2.  Can I get enough to eat today?

3.  Am I going to get laid?

That's it.  That is the sum total of what you were designed to manage...And you live in a world with printed media, radio, TV, the internet, Ipods, Blackberries, TIVO, billboards, viral marketing, movies, and programming for all of the above that is deliberately designed to piss you off, so you'll pay attention to these words from our sponsors.

So of course you feel paranoid.  Everyone does. 
Molon Lube

Adios

Well hell, I can fix that if that's all it is.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Charley Brown on September 07, 2010, 08:32:03 PM

Not unless you plan to be a hermit, you can't.
Molon Lube

Adios

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 07, 2010, 08:35:53 PM

Sadly, that is penciled in on my to do list.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Charley Brown on September 07, 2010, 08:46:19 PM

And that, of course, is one of the things that The Machine™ wants you to do.  Troublesome cogs that remove themselves, how wonderful. 

Molon Lube

Adios

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 07, 2010, 08:48:28 PM

And that, of course, is one of the things that The Machine™ wants you to do.  Troublesome cogs that remove themselves, how wonderful. 

Meh. In reality just a weird day. Truth I already have plans for a second book that would require a year of motorhome trips across the country.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Charley Brown on September 07, 2010, 08:57:47 PM

Meh. In reality just a weird day. Truth I already have plans for a second book that would require a year of motorhome trips across the country.

I'd fucking kill to have that opportunity.  A year of studying primates in their natural habitats.
Molon Lube

Adios

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 07, 2010, 08:58:39 PM

I'd fucking kill to have that opportunity.  A year of studying primates in their natural habitats.

That's my plan. I want to talk to the oldersters while I still can.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Charley Brown on September 07, 2010, 09:00:28 PM

That's fucking brilliant.  Bring a webcam, BTW, or a flash audio recorder.  They're cheap, and they beat the hell out of taking notes.

Make sure to get some standard releases, too.

Interestingly enough, the Library of Congress used to do shit like this.
Molon Lube

Adios

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 07, 2010, 09:05:04 PM
Quote from: Charley Brown on September 07, 2010, 09:00:28 PM

That's fucking brilliant.  Bring a webcam, BTW, or a flash audio recorder.  They're cheap, and they beat the hell out of taking notes.

Make sure to get some standard releases, too.

Interestingly enough, the Library of Congress used to do shit like this.

Plan to, me trying to take notes would jack up the flow of any conversation. Terri and I were talking the other night, hoping for the success of the first book, and this was a natural extension of it.