News:

Testimonial: "It's just honestly sad that a place like this exists"

Main Menu

Masterwork Monsters for Pathfinder

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, February 09, 2011, 07:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: President Television on September 23, 2013, 05:14:55 AM
I kinda want to try writing up some monsters, but none of my games have gotten past level 2. At least half of that's because I can't find anything interesting to throw in encounters at that level, though. At about what CR do you find you start having fun with monster creation?

1/4.  No shit.

The most fun monsters are between CR 5 & 10.  But there's nothing saying you can't make a fun CR 1/4 monster, then throw 4 of them in for a CR2.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

I will provide examples tomorrow morning, if you like.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Junkenstein

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on September 23, 2013, 05:00:14 PM

Please do. I sense comedy afoot.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

President Television

Oh, yes.

And I figured that was probably the case, I just thought I'd ask because fuck it, I am too damn quiet. Need to get in the habit of talking.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: President Television on September 23, 2013, 05:56:58 PM

Oh, yes.

And I figured that was probably the case, I just thought I'd ask because fuck it, I am too damn quiet. Need to get in the habit of talking.

Okay, will do.  But the important thing to remember is that even though surprise monsters are cool, it's all about the encounter set up.

I'm working on a interim encounter for my group, using some fairly bog-standard undead, and turning it into some Ravenloft shit involving a 50 year old crime, and revenge by the living using the dead as a weapon.

If you like, I'll cut and paste the synopsis this evening.

President Television

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on September 23, 2013, 06:14:32 PM

Oh, yes.

Okay, will do.  But the important thing to remember is that even though surprise monsters are cool, it's all about the encounter set up.

I'm working on a interim encounter for my group, using some fairly bog-standard undead, and turning it into some Ravenloft shit involving a 50 year old crime, and revenge by the living using the dead as a weapon.

Neat. The best idea I've come up with is a village where a nonevil inhabitant dies every month or so, apparently by a wild animal attack. The clues point to a werewolf, but the truth is that it's a barghest and there's a local cult of goblins systematically raising them to maturity.

EDIT: And sure, I'm interested.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: President Television on September 23, 2013, 07:05:06 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on September 23, 2013, 06:14:32 PM

Oh, yes.

Neat. The best idea I've come up with is a village where a nonevil inhabitant dies every month or so, apparently by a wild animal attack. The clues point to a werewolf, but the truth is that it's a barghest and there's a local cult of goblins systematically raising them to maturity.

Oh, that's GOOD.  I think I'll steal it.

Anyway, I'll post the known history and the secret history tonight, in a new thread in this subforum, alongside the timeline and cast o' monsters & npcs.  I haven't put it in finished form yet.

The Good Reverend Roger

Some low CR monsters:

Ghost Chicken         CR 1/2
XP 200
N Tiny undead (ghost, chicken, incorporeal)
Init +4; Senses low-light vision; Perception +13
Aura supernatural dread 30 ft

Defense
AC 15, touch 15, flat-footed 15  (+3 deflection+2 size)
HP 7 (1d8+3)
Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +1
Defensive Abilities channel resist +4, incorporeal, rejuvenation  Immune undead traits 

Offense
Spd 30 ft, fly 20 ft (clumsy); drift
Melee corrupting touch +0 (1d6/DC 13 for half)
Space 2-1/2 ft ; Reach 0 ft

Statistics
Str -, Dex 11, Con -, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 17
Base Attack +0; CMB -2; CMD 4
Feats Improved Initiative
Skills Fly -4, Perception +13, Stealth +8
   Racial Bonuses Perception +8, Stealth +8
Treasure Standard

Special Abilities
Drift (Ex) A chicken flies in short bursts, and can't use it's fly speed to hover.  When it flies, a chicken must end it's move action by landing or perching on a solid surface.
Supernatural Dread (Su)  Animals will not come within 30 ft of the ghost chicken.  Familiars and companions may if they succeed at a Will save DC 12, but gain the shaken condition as long as they are in the aura.  The save is Charisma-based.
Rejuvenation (Su) If killed, the ghost chicken reforms in 2d4 days unless its bones are given a proper burial.  The bones are in the kitchen midden.

(Note:  The ghost chicken loses the fly 30 (perfect) movement of a ghost, and gains supernatural dread in exchange.)

The Good Reverend Roger

Elephant of Despair   CR 2
XP 600
LE Small Magical Beast (elephant)
Init +1; Senses Darkvision 60 ft, Low-Light Vision; Perception +1 
Aura Despair 30 ft (DC12)

Defense
AC  14, touch 12, flat-footed 13 (+1 Dex, +2 Natural, +1 Size)
HP 19 (3d10+3)
Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +2

Offense
Spd 20
Melee tusks +5 (1d6)

Statistics
Str 10, Dex 12, Con 10, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 12
Base Attack +3; CMB +3; CMD 14
Feats Toughness, weapon focus (tusks)
Skills Perception +7, Stealth +7
Treasure  ivory tusks worth 250 GP

Special Abilities
Despair Aura (Su) The elephant of despair gives of an aura of despair with a radius of 30 ft.  Those failing the save are paralyzed with dread for 1d4 rounds.  The save is Charisma-based.

(Needless to say, the elephant is in the living room)

The Good Reverend Roger

Those of you who read Little Orange will like this:

Red Tape Dude      CR 3
XP 800
LN medium Aberration
Init +0; Senses Darkvision 60 ft; Perception +7 

Defense
AC  15, touch 11, flat-footed 14  (+1 Dodge, +4 Natural)
HP  30 (4d8+12)
Fort +4, Ref +2, Will +6
Defensive Abilities Evasion

Offense
Spd 30 ft, climb 30 ft
Melee Bite +5 (1d6+2), 2 claws +5 (1d6+1)
Spell-Like Abilities CL 4, Concentration +6)
At will - Forbiddance (DC13), Minor Confusion (DC13)

Tactics
Before Combat Opens combat with minor confusion.
During Combat Uses forbiddance to try to get environmental hazards (falling, etc) to injure or kill characters (while lecturing them about safe practices), using his bite and claws only in extremis or if he thinks his victims may escape.
Morale Will flee or surrender (if retreat is impossible) if brought below 10 HP.

Statistics
Str 14, Dex 10, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 14
Base Attack +3; CMB 5; CMD 15
Feats Dodge, Toughness
Skills Acrobatics +7, Climb +17, Perception +7, Stealth +7
   Racial Bonuses +8 Climb
SQ Cling
Languages Taldane

Ecology
Environment Sophie's mansion
Organization Unique
Treasure Standard

Special Abilities
Cling (Ex): Red Tape Dude can climb upside down as easily as vertically.  He only has to have 3 limbs free to climb, and 2 limbs free to maintain a position on a wall or ceiling.  He does not become flat-footed while climbing.

Red tape dude looks like a human wrapped in red cloth tape, with limbs distorted like a lizard.  He is obsessed with eliminating unsafe practices, even if this means killing the people he is trying to "protect".  While not actually evil, he just doesn't value lives over regulations.  In this case, he is bothered by ladder safety, and will cause the rungs to retract above and below the first person climbing down from room 28 to 27 in the mansion.   He keeps to the walls and ceilings to avoid attacks by unruly creatures, and forbids them from doing anything unsafe (especially to him). 

The Good Reverend Roger

Stanley      CR 1
XP 400
Male Human Fighter 2
LE Medium humanoid (human)
Init +0; Senses; Perception +0

Defense
AC 19, touch 11, flat-footed 18 (+5 armor, +3 shield, +1 dodge)
HP 14 (2d10+5)
Fort +4, Ref +0, Will +0, +1 vs fear

Offense
Spd 20 ft
Melee mw longsword +4 (1d8+2/19-20)

Statistics
Str 15, Dex 11, Con 13, Int 9, Wis 10, Cha 8
Base Attack +2; CMB +4; CMD 14
Feats Weapon Focus (longsword), Shield Focus, Toughness, Dodge
Skills Climb+6, Intimidate +3
   Racial Bonuses
SQ Bravery +1
Languages Taldane
Gear Masterwork longsword, scale mail, heavy steel shield, other gear

Special Abilities
Bling (Ex)  Stanley can as a swift action glint light off of his perfect teeth, dazzling one creature for one round.  If light conditions are dim or worse, this does not function.

The Good Reverend Roger

This one is going to be scalable.  The armored hulk has several life stages.  This is the juvenile:

Armored Hulk      CR 1
XP 400
N Medium aberration (crustacean)
Init  +0; Senses darkvision 60 ft; Perception +4

Defense
AC  18, touch 10, flat-footed 18  (+8 natural)
HP  14 (2d8+5)
Fort 3, Ref 1, Will 4

Offense
Spd 20 ft
Melee +3 slam (1d6+2)

Statistics
Str 14, Dex 10, Con 14, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 8
Base Attack +1; CMB +3; CMD 13
Feats Toughness
Skills Climb +7, Perception +4, Stealth +4
Languages Taldane (cannot speak)

Ecology
Environment Underground and mountains
Organization solitary, pair, or cluster (3-12)
Treasure  standard

Cain

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on March 04, 2017, 12:01:21 AM
Is the ghost chicken evil manifest?

:lulz:

No, I was just trying to make the most pathetic ghost possible.  One that a first level party could take out easily.

Sadly, I don't think Stanley is going to be a recurring villain.

Don Coyote

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 03, 2017, 11:38:27 PM
Some low CR monsters:

Ghost Chicken         CR 1/2
XP 200
N Tiny undead (ghost, chicken, incorporeal)
Init +4; Senses low-light vision; Perception +13
Aura supernatural dread 30 ft

Defense
AC 15, touch 15, flat-footed 15  (+3 deflection+2 size)
HP 7 (1d8+3)
Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +1
Defensive Abilities channel resist +4, incorporeal, rejuvenation  Immune undead traits 

Offense
Spd 30 ft, fly 20 ft (clumsy); drift
Melee corrupting touch +0 (1d6/DC 13 for half)
Space 2-1/2 ft ; Reach 0 ft

Statistics
Str -, Dex 11, Con -, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 17
Base Attack +0; CMB -2; CMD 4
Feats Improved Initiative
Skills Fly -4, Perception +13, Stealth +8
   Racial Bonuses Perception +8, Stealth +8
Treasure Standard

Special Abilities
Drift (Ex) A chicken flies in short bursts, and can't use it's fly speed to hover.  When it flies, a chicken must end it's move action by landing or perching on a solid surface.
Supernatural Dread (Su)  Animals will not come within 30 ft of the ghost chicken.  Familiars and companions may if they succeed at a Will save DC 12, but gain the shaken condition as long as they are in the aura.  The save is Charisma-based.
Rejuvenation (Su) If killed, the ghost chicken reforms in 2d4 days unless its bones are given a proper burial.  The bones are in the kitchen midden.

(Note:  The ghost chicken loses the fly 30 (perfect) movement of a ghost, and gains supernatural dread in exchange.)

BUT IT'S NOT FAIR TO HAVE MONSTERS WITH DEFENSE WE NEED MAGIC WEAPONS FOR!!!!
\
:showus: