News:

PD.com: promoting the nomadic, war-like and democratic lupine culture since 2002

Main Menu

Techno Will Save Your Soul

Started by The Littlest Ubermensch, June 28, 2006, 03:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Littlest Ubermensch

This is my first rant, and first post here, so tell me what you think.

Look at the world around you, and can you say the normal, ,Äúsane,Äù individual truly lives a fulfilled life? What has happened to these individuals stripped of their identity? They are a product of a world without spirituality!
   Not that any of this is to say bullshit claiming to be the word of some great patriarch pimp in the sky is spirituality, but the soul, the primal drive for some sort of untamed, unmolded, uninhibited growth, needs to be reclaimed by man. Over the millennia we have learned religion and organization offers no solace; indeed they have only told us to destroy ourselves in anticipation of an unnamed reward.  But from where can we retain this sort of raw spiritual energy man seeks for fulfillment? Certainly Discordianism has offered the laughing disorder that frees us from withering away in an organized, restrictive world, but it is not enough!
   In this I offer the next step, cultural devolution, moving to a time when the world was still untamed by us or our order, past the beginnings of a Theocratic society to those of a Theacratic society of spiritual leaders guiding others to fufillment! What I mean is a return to the original way, the way of shamanism! Not the bullshit spouted by New Ager sellouts of ,Äúgetting in touch with your totem animal,Äù and such marketing schemes, but the techniques of spiritual ecstasy through music, dance, communal ritual, and substance use that marked the tribal worlds of early society! For a while we tried meditation, the Buddhist attempts at ,Äúquieting the mind,Äù to let in spirituality, but our generation will never truly be affected by settling down, sitting still, and forcing away our disquieting thoughts. We have gone far into what can be clich?©d as the Information Age, where our youth must process huge amounts of knowledge to simply survive. We can see around us a desperate attempt at a return to life! Even those who are still sitting on their couches are filled with discontent at the system which restricts them so, though their frustration is being tapped by whatever power hungry organization (i.e. the Religious Right, the Democratic Party, almost any corporation). Meditation is nothing but the same extinguishing of life for entrance of a new one that religion is, and will never keep hold with our society.
   But how should we cause this return to shamanism in our society completely changed from the days of shamanism? Easy friends, we must embrace (and bear with me here) the rave movement. I know what many of you will say to yourself, ,Äúthose ravers are just a bunch of dumb teens on Ecstasy looking for a new scene to attach to,Äù. But that,Äôs not the case. Raves are like any other concert, and may be even cleaner. But the specific reason for the rave is that it is absolutely a shamanistic ritual in its entirety. Pulsing music drives the ravers in the same way the shamans of old were moved by the music of the tribe; the ravers dance out of a genuine spiritual ecstasy; they immerse themselves into an environment full of heat, motion, and powerful bass drums rattling through their body to create an energy that fills them entirely; and partake inso many other shamanistic action all leading to a mass spiritual cleansing and rebirth. And from this comes secretaries, deliverymen, and others who still hate their jobs and surroundings like everyone else, but have something to live for and know that some great spiritual need has been filled within them. Shamanism can be reborn, it is already being reborn, and it can be given unto a world that cries out for it.
[witticism/philosophical insight/nifty quote to prove my intelligence to the forum]

LISTEN TO MY SHOW THURSDAY 5-7 EST

THEN GO TO MY MYSPACE

deet

The writing's good, but you might have a wire crossed in rationalizing drug use and partying all night as 'shamanism,'

There's a bit of ritual involved in the latter, and not in the first.

I do agree that some raves can have spirtual experiences attached to them, even among the people who are sober, but many of public raves are just parties.
All walls have two sides.

LMNO

That's an interesting rant... I like the idea of using action and pleasure as spiritual techniques.

But I fucking hate rave music.

LMNO
-If that's what it takes to make a shaman, I decline.

LHX

i agree with the comments about the short-comings of meditation in this society

i might disagree wiff the proposed alternative
but
i dig the intent of this rant

keep it moving
neat hell

East Coast Hustle

I dug the writing style, and I hope you stick around and keep it coming.

however...

ravers can basically eat the corn out of my shit.

ECH,
wants no part of THAT brand of spirituality
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

The Littlest Ubermensch

Quote from: LMNOBut I fucking hate rave music.

LMNO

:(  Sometimes I get the feeling a lot of people have yet to listen to actual rave music. Too much crap is being pushed (like the infinitely evil DJ Sammy, and all the disgusting pop him and his droogs produce. And Happy Hardcore has frequently been mutilated until it's uber repetitive and only good when you've taken three doses of Ecstasy.) Oh well, can't argue preference.
[witticism/philosophical insight/nifty quote to prove my intelligence to the forum]

THEN GO TO MY MYSPACE

LMNO

I've been to raves.  For a while, it was the only place to get the drugs I was looking for.

I repeat: I hate rave music.

Ok, ok:  I hate almost all rave music, just in case you want to start pestering me about it.  But that still won't get me to go to a rave, now that I've weaned myself off most drugs harder than pot.

The Littlest Ubermensch

Quote from: deetThe writing's good, but you might have a wire crossed in rationalizing drug use and partying all night as 'shamanism,'

There's a bit of ritual involved in the latter, and not in the first.

I do agree that some raves can have spirtual experiences attached to them, even among the people who are sober, but many of public raves are just parties.

I didn't necessarily rationalize the drug use going on. That tends to just be the domain of idiots who want to get high at a party (though they(the substances) can be used to great effect, even if that is uncommon.)

I think the most interesting part of the rave culture is how much of it really is something spiritual for the kids who are in it, even if that's not what they originally intended on being there for. A great documentary on the scene circa the late 90's is Better Living Through Circuitry. It's quite an eye opener (though it also shows the extremely stupid side of the scene as well.)[/u][/b]

THEN GO TO MY MYSPACE

deet

Quote from: LMNOI've been to raves.  For a while, it was the only place to get the drugs I was looking for.

I repeat: I hate rave music.

Ok, ok:  I hate almost all rave music, just in case you want to start pestering me about it.  But that still won't get me to go to a rave, now that I've weaned myself off most drugs harder than pot.

a lot of times, there's confusion between dance and rave music.

Richie Hawkin (hawtin? something like that.. I think he put a few albums out as Plastikman) is minimalist, his mucis is mostly beats. The ambient music is good too.

It's not as numbing as "BOOMBOOM KAZCHWOO-WHOP! BOOMBOOM HAZCHWOO-WHOP!" with whistles and whizzers and whatever other noise the synth makes... that's not music, but they'll play it anyways, sometimes.

deet

Quote from: The Littlest Ubermensch
I didn't necessarily rationalize the drug use going on. That tends to just be the domain of idiots who want to get high at a party (though they(the substances) can be used to great effect, even if that is uncommon.)

I think the most interesting part of the rave culture is how much of it really is something spiritual for the kids who are in it, even if that's not what they originally intended on being there for. A great documentary on the scene circa the late 90's is Better Living Through Circuitry. It's quite an eye opener (though it also shows the extremely stupid side of the scene as well.)[/u][/b]

Oh, I think I read too much into the first part. I assumed that you were grouping every part of the rave scene. My bad.

"Better Living Through Circuitry"? I'm going to look it up, I might find it interesting.

East Coast Hustle

I actually like alot of "rave" music, as long as it's well-constructed, I just can't stand the scene itself.

and, like LMNO, I used to be fairly involved in it at one point, so it's not as tthough I'm making a snap judgement about something I know nothing about.

Happy Hardcore sucks my balls, though.  I prefer jungle (on the dirty side is better), tech-step, breaks, and dark garage.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Cain

Happy hardcore is a fucking abomination.  Did I post the link for a happy hardcore site with no regs here, or at FC?  I can't remember now.

East Coast Hustle

you did.

and I trolled them incessantly for a day or three.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Littlest Ubermensch
Quote from: LMNOBut I fucking hate rave music.

LMNO

:(  Sometimes I get the feeling a lot of people have yet to listen to actual rave music.

I know.  Sometimes I get the feeling a lot of people have yet to shove their crank into a REAL meat grinder, too.

Great rant, though...but it needs more white spaces.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Commander

I Discovered Discordianism while involved in the Rave scene back in the mid 90's.  I think the general idea of the experience being shamanistic has some merit, I certainly had my share of growing experiences while at raves, but I don't think it is the only path to spiritualism.  It depends on the person.  It works for some, while meditation works for others, and other practices work for yet others.

As far as the music goes, I can't stand break beat, have heard very little jungle I liked, and abhor gabber.  I've heard some decent Happy Hardcore, but what really gets me is real deep house or trance and ambient variations of either.

The Orb, Orbital, William Orbit (notice a patern here?), Caberet Voltaire, Massive Attack, Rabbit in the Moon all kick ass!

As a matter of fact, the Commander, and the DIA were hatched at a rave at the Agora in Cleveland.

The Commander
DIA
The Commander
DIA
Discordian Intelligence Agency