News:

Urgh, this is what I hate about PD.com, it is the only site in existence where a perfectly good spam thread can be misused for high quality discussions.  I hate you all.

Main Menu

Historia Discordia

Started by Cramulus, June 17, 2014, 07:51:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

I just picked up Adam Gorightly's latest book, the Historia Discordia. It's cool! It's basically a catalog of vintage Erisian stuff that was gathering dust in Bob Newport's basement, including a ton of original Discordian correspondences and tracts. Tons of lost writings by Mal-2. Great coffee table book for the Discordian archivist or researcher.

I've enjoyed tracing the evolution of a lot of the concepts in the PD. For example, there's that line in the PD about how Discordians don't have dogma, they have catma. And it turns out there's a whole little sermon about it that wasn't included in the PD and to my knowledge isn't on the net anywhere. There are a lot of 1st edition PD pages which were revised several times before the 5th edition we're familiar with. A lot of the jokes and 1-liners from the PD are referencing other Discordian documents which have been lost, until now.

For those of us interested in the genealogy of this whackadoo contraption, this is really satisfying. It gives a sense about what the first Discordian communities were like, and who the key players were. (something I've always been curious about) It's also pretty cool to see the early much rougher drafts of some of the texts we're familiar with.

Definitely recommend this for the archivists, collectors, and insane hoarders that get stuck in Eris' orbit.

[amazon link]

UB

*Not offended*

Um. Its a beautiful share. Im looking into it.

Is the author French?
Within the grip of Err.... some are fucked in the head by a fist of fire.

Reginald Ret

Cool Cram, that sounds quite interesting.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

hooplala

I believe I will pick this up... although my birthday is just around the corner...
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Junkenstein

I'd consider it bad form to not offer the right of reply here, and I'm guessing the author is more likely to check this thread than any others.

http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=36618.0

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Gorightly

And that it's reply # 5 makes it a good thing.

Faust

Cool, I'll pick this up, Looks interesting Adam.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Faust

Out of stock :[ but preorder placed.

MMIX

Quote from: Faust on June 20, 2014, 10:31:15 AM
Yeah, me too.
Do you think that if we place enough pre-orders so that it was sold out before it ever arrived it might disappear in a puff of logic metaphysics?
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Faust

Quote from: MMIX on June 20, 2014, 01:57:20 PM
Yeah, me too.
Do you think that if we place enough pre-orders so that it was sold out before it ever arrived it might disappear in a puff of logic metaphysics?

The kickstarter effect?

MMIX

Quote from: Faust on June 20, 2014, 02:21:33 PM
Quote from: MMIX on June 20, 2014, 01:57:20 PM
Yeah, me too.

The kickstarter effect?

Maybe more like the kickass effect, though I'm not really up for anything that involves kicking today as I've just watched the Italy match and I think I may have to go drown my sorrows; not an easy thing to do when you aren't a drinker. I know . . . I just sank the Italian football squad. Yeah, I feel better already.
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Faust

Sorry I meant like kickstarter.com

Something gets loads and loads of hype, and generally proportional to that hype is how many delays, angry people, etc appear.

MMIX

Quote from: Faust on June 20, 2014, 07:01:34 PM
Sorry I meant like kickstarter.com

Something gets loads and loads of hype, and generally proportional to that hype is how many delays, angry people, etc appear.

Lol, yeah I got what you meant I just needed somewhere to dump my World Cup miseries. :( It could be worse though, Ireland and Wales might have qualified.

Cramulus