News:

What about those weed gangsters that are mad about you giving speeches in Bumfuck, Maine?

Main Menu

Discordia investigated?

Started by The unimportant one, July 09, 2006, 07:12:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooplala

Did Felix flounce or something??

BVH
-misses everything
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Cramulus

Quote from: Ratatosk on July 09, 2007, 11:09:54 PM
Rev. Uncle BadTouch got investigated... or at least claims that he was investigated because of a few Discordian OM 's that he pulled off (including a marriage ceremony done in IRC where the participants were underage). The amount of truth you should assign to anything said by Rev. Uncle BadTouch and his crew is about the same as the amount of trust you should put in anything said by any Discordian... that is NOT MUCH.

At any rate, some people don't like Uncle BadTouch for any number of reasons. He does tend to support the 23/FNORD crowd (which I have no problem with, but some people here have issues...). He does tend to intentionally cause strife (again not a problem as far as I'm concerned). There was a bit of silliness where he claimed to be the grandson of RAW... but he also published the statement from Bob's daughter that Bob had no grandchildren. He made a big mess on Wikipedia, because he kept trying to have his 'yet unpublished' works get their own wiki page (and tried to make any attempts to remove it appear as an attack on Discordianism).

The FBI has investigated prominent Discordians, and occasionally the Discordia movement gets caught up in it. Kerry Thornley, for example, had a number of interactions with the FBI (apparently due to connections with Lee Harvy Oswald among other silliness). Steve Jackson got hit by the Feds during 1990 Hacker Crackdown, wherein the servers for his BBS "The Well" were confiscated (as well as a number of his other boxes). The Well was a hangout for a number of hacker groups as well as some Discordian groups (of which, it's widely held that SJ posted to).

Of course, Bob Wilson was a lightning rod for some scrutiny, though this was likely due to his activist lifestyle, rather than his irreligious tendencies.

All of that being said, we still don't know what the Feds investigate. I found out after leaving the Jehovah's Witnesses group that Feds routinely show up in plainclothes to their large meetings, just to keep an eye on things.  We've recently found out that Feds and even NYPD infiltrated Peace/Anti-War groups over the past few years. So to think that Discordians are free from any prying eyes is probably a bit naive,  but to worry about the Feds comin' down on you... well that's probably a bit paranoid.

So assume that they're watching and assume that nothing you do will result in them fucking with you... unless you're planning some serious Art Sabotage or Poetic Terrorism... then (and this is key) DO IT YOURSELF and don't talk about it on the Internet. One of the best reasons We Discordians  must stick apart, is because alone we can accomplish much, together we are vulnerable to spies and bureaucracy.

Thanks for the Uncle BadTouch summary. I hadn't ever heard any of the background on him, and was trying to sort out
-my knowledge of him through 23ae
-that some people here think he's a pedophile

I also wasn't aware that his wikipedia push involved defending books he hadn't yet published. I do recall him making a big fuss about which Discordian lit was "important".

For anybody who's interested in early Discordia's romance with paranoia and the FBI, definitely check out The Prankster and the Conspiracy, a biography of Kerry Thornley / Lord Omar. There's a lot of good early-Discordian lore in there too. Plus you can find out how Discordians might have assassinated JFK. Sort of.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Professor Cramulus on July 09, 2007, 11:18:01 PM

Thanks for the Uncle BadTouch summary. I hadn't ever heard any of the background on him, and was trying to sort out
-my knowledge of him through 23ae
-that some people here think he's a pedophile

I also wasn't aware that his wikipedia push involved defending books he hadn't yet published. I do recall him making a big fuss about which Discordian lit was "important".

Heh, I notice that some Discordians like slinging that accusation around (heard it about Hikem Bey too).  As for his publication... the Eccentrica Discordia does exist in online web published form... but Wikipedia doesn't really consider that published. I personally think he was just purposely trying too stir us chaos (naughty boy!!).

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

LMNO

Rat, you've pretty much hit the nail on the head.

We tend to shorten it to "KYFMS".

Keep Your Fucking Mouth Shut.

hooplala

So . . .  Felix . . .

What's the deal?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Jasper

Present.

Apologies; my recent adaptations in lifestyle have made surfing and making smug remarks  here infeasible most of the time.  On the plus side I've been reading a lot, almost finished Cryptonomicon and am taking an interest in crypto as of late...  I'll be back to regularity once I wrestle the situation into a comfortable and accomodating one.

Also I've been writing in a journal to feed a recent, constant idea spewing habit.  Will X-post that too. 

Will do some more BIP content too later, I think.  I plan to do some comparative analysis between it and other similar philisophical metaphors viz. Plato's cave and others to see if it really is the best existential mechanism.

But for now I'll KMFMS.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Felix on July 15, 2007, 08:04:38 AM
Present.

Apologies; my recent adaptations in lifestyle have made surfing and making smug remarks  here infeasible most of the time.  On the plus side I've been reading a lot, almost finished Cryptonomicon and am taking an interest in crypto as of late...  I'll be back to regularity once I wrestle the situation into a comfortable and accomodating one.

Also I've been writing in a journal to feed a recent, constant idea spewing habit.  Will X-post that too. 

Will do some more BIP content too later, I think.  I plan to do some comparative analysis between it and other similar philisophical metaphors viz. Plato's cave and others to see if it really is the best existential mechanism.

But for now I'll KMFMS.

Heh you said crypto.

I am just finishing a two year crypto project here at *insert big corp*. As of today, it looks like we even passed the audit, so maybe I won't get fired ;-)
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 09, 2006, 07:18:48 AM
Quote from: FelixIt's because we're so dangerous.

Tch!  :roll:

The Feds tap it all these days.  Remember?

Well, let's make it worth their while (or at least their search engine's while):

ACL, the Bohemian Grove, the Cosmos Club, the CFR, the Club
of Rome, the Council of 9, the Council of 13 Grand Druid Council, the
Jason Society, <list continues>

We need to paste this all over the interbutts.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on July 10, 2006, 03:44:25 PM
actually, I've recently switched to ankle-length socks.

they feel like VIRGINS!

I feel like this might be the most important post I ever made.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Requia ☣

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 28, 2011, 09:33:47 PM

Well, let's make it worth their while (or at least their search engine's while):

You want credit for the list, or should I just start spewing it out?
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Requia ☣ on March 29, 2011, 12:20:12 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 28, 2011, 09:33:47 PM

You want credit for the list, or should I just start spewing it out?

No, I didn't generate it.  Just spew it out.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Requia ☣

Bastard mods at political panic deleted it  :argh!:
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

AFK

Quote from: Requia ☣ on March 29, 2011, 03:37:29 AM
Bastard mods at political panic deleted it  :argh!:

Really?  Where did you post it? 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

AFK

AFK