News:

I live in the Promised Land, except the Chosen People are all trying to get out. 

Main Menu

How to write

Started by Cain, September 26, 2008, 06:35:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ambassador KLOK KAOS

Is there one really good current resource for this?  I've seen a bunch in here but would like to see something crisp, concise and well presented.

I'm in a writer's guild elsewhere and they are compiling resource links for the wiki.
The whole of life is but a moment of time. It is our duty, therefore, to misuse it.

New Rule:  You are a terrorist and with be dealt with as such.

Cain

Not really.  Writing is such a personal and subjective process it is very hard to find a single guide that works for most people.

Suu

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but it's a source that I was given in my class:

http://owl.english.purdue.edu/

It's for everyone, not just Purdue students...as I don't go to Purdue.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Kai

I don't think I've mentioned it here yet, but How to Read a Book is an excellent guide to reading, and insofar as a better reader makes a better writer it's a must have.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Placid Dingo

Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

MMMW

Robert McKee's "Story" is geared towards screenwriting but it's great for any storyteller.
Here's a PDF of the key points - www.kennykemp.com/pdf/story%20structure.pdf

Placid Dingo

Quote from: MMMW on July 28, 2012, 09:07:34 PM
Robert McKee's "Story" is geared towards screenwriting but it's great for any storyteller.
Here's a PDF of the key points - www.kennykemp.com/pdf/story%20structure.pdf

This is great.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

zarathustrasbastardson

God help you if you have to get up and work manana!
Estas bien? porque yo estoy Asi asi
chaos is truth
radiate better

Ben Shapiro

The butthurt nom nom nom

3n1g

There are some very good comic book writing books that (obviously) apply in many ways to all types of writing. The only one that comes to mind now (as it is on my bookshelf) is Come In Alone by Warren Ellis.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: nostalgicBadger on October 29, 2008, 12:14:25 AM
Quote from: Kai on October 28, 2008, 11:31:00 PM
Quote from: nostalgicBadger on October 25, 2008, 10:51:46 PM
Or you could pull a Hunter S. Thompson and type out the Great Gatsby over and over again.

Or you could, oh, I don't know, actually learn the mechanics of writing (as an artist learns the mechanics of painting) and write something original.

Which I'm sure you learn from reading "On Writing" by Steven King lol

So then you type out "all work and no play makes jack a dull boy" over and over again instead?
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

QuestionsTheSoil

Dammit, the Wayback machine has nothing for this.
Is there another archive of this somewhere?
Lunatic Zoomer Garbage and Unholy Androgyne
I have questions that can be answered with bottles of teeth
I sift through the broken ideas of the anomalous subconscious